Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disability payouts % vs fractions

Go down

Disability payouts % vs fractions Empty Re: Disability payouts % vs fractions

Post by bigrex Tue 21 Aug 2018, 01:28

The ToD goes by the specific part of the body affected, not the claimed condition So they would compare the symptoms, to table 17.19 Loss of Function, Lumbar Spine. It doesn't matter if the claimed condition is classified as Mechanical LBP, Arthritis, or Degenerative Disk Disease,

Table 17.19 - Loss of Function - Lumbar Spine

Rating

Criteria

Nil •      Normal range of motion without pain; and
•           No sciatica*; and
•           No nerve root compression signs.

Four •  Essentially normal range of motion, but pain now present on a daily basis and/or with movement.

Nine •  Loss of up to 1/2 range of motion; or
•          Intermittent sciatica*.

Thirteen •  Loss equal to or greater than 1/2 range of motion; or
•                One of the following nerve root compression signs are present in the lower limbs: ◦Significant asymmetry of relevant reflex(es)
◦                Sensory loss in dermatomal pattern
◦                Relevant loss of muscle strength.

Eighteen •  Sciatica* occurring at least weekly; or
•                 Two of the following nerve root compression signs are present in the lower limbs: ◦Significant asymmetry of relevant reflex(es)
◦                 Sensory loss in dermatomal pattern
◦                 Relevant loss of muscle strength.

Twenty-one •   Sciatica* occurring on most days; or
•                All of the following nerve root compression signs are present in the lower limbs: ◦Significant asymmetry of relevant reflex(es)
◦                Sensory loss in dermatomal pattern
◦                Relevant loss of muscle strength.

Thirty-one •   Ankylosis in a position of function.

Thirty-four •   Intractable pain**.

Thirty-nine •   Ankylosis in an unfavourable position of function.

Nowhere is the claimed condition referenced.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2018, 21:34

bigrex wrote:There are 2 parts to a disability award. First they decide how much of an entitlement you have, set in 1-5/5, with 5/5 being that the military accepts full responsibility. Then there is the actual medical assessment, that is determined by the table of disabilities, and based on reported symptoms. then the assessment is compared to the entitlement, to determine the actual payment.  So if they say that you have a partial entitlement of 3/5, on an disability assessment of 30%, the payment would be 20% (18% rounded to the nearest 5). I was told in May, that VAC is looking at making it so that you either get 4/5 or 5/5, nothing less, but I have not heard any movement on that front, since.
what about when VAC comes up with a fraction but there is no current disability in existence with a % attached to it. I.e. a vet puts in a claim for mechanical low back pain, with a letter detailing events of how that arose. VAC comes back with a decision and says 2/5 responsible,..
2/5 of what?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Aug 2018, 23:13

bigrex wrote:There are 2 parts to a disability award. First they decide how much of an entitlement you have, set in 1-5/5, with 5/5 being that the military accepts full responsibility. Then there is the actual medical assessment, that is determined by the table of disabilities, and based on reported symptoms. then the assessment is compared to the entitlement, to determine the actual payment.  So if they say that you have a partial entitlement of 3/5, on an disability assessment of 30%, the payment would be 20% (18% rounded to the nearest 5). I was told in May, that VAC is looking at making it so that you either get 4/5 or 5/5, nothing less, but I have not heard any movement on that front, since.
so 4/5 of an 80% disability would be 64%? This includes consequential claims against an existing injury?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 13 Aug 2018, 18:00

There are 2 parts to a disability award. First they decide how much of an entitlement you have, set in 1-5/5, with 5/5 being that the military accepts full responsibility. Then there is the actual medical assessment, that is determined by the table of disabilities, and based on reported symptoms. then the assessment is compared to the entitlement, to determine the actual payment. So if they say that you have a partial entitlement of 3/5, on an disability assessment of 30%, the payment would be 20% (18% rounded to the nearest 5). I was told in May, that VAC is looking at making it so that you either get 4/5 or 5/5, nothing less, but I have not heard any movement on that front, since.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Disability payouts % vs fractions Empty Disability payouts % vs fractions

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2018, 11:34

I apologize for not understanding how this works but online I've found tables for Disability Pension and Awards,and they are listed in percentages with a dollar value.But can someone tell me how these fractions are derived and what the payment looks like.l have read some VAC decisions for other vets and it would say " VAC agrees that this vets injury  is 1/5 related to service or 4/5, is that the same as 80% disability? Or are these payments meant to be just a pittance, I.e.5/5 means a 5% award? Sorry if I'm confused.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 18:25; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down