Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federal PTSD treatment for a convicted murderer ...

3 posters

Go down

Federal PTSD treatment for a convicted murderer ... Empty Federal PTSD treatment for a murderer ...

Post by Rubicon Wed 29 Aug 2018, 22:57

I once read a poster that said, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Blaming guns for killing people is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donnell being fat." In this case, what came first, the killer then the PTSD or was it PTSD and then the killer? According to Christopher Garnier's defence attorney, he developed PTSD after accidentally killing Constable Campbell during rough sex. It's an interesting defence tactic but it didn't help him in this case and I don't see the connection to his father's PTSD other than it being diagnosed as PTSD. Without a connection to his father's PTSD it makes little sense that VAC is footing the bill when Corrections Canada could and should. In hindsight perhaps pleading temporary insanity would have been a more viable defence but I'm uncertain if it is a viable defence in Canada although I believe a temporary insanity plea worked for the guy who beheaded the Greyhound bus passenger outside Winnipeg a few years back. He walked after less than 10 years in prison ...

Rubicon ...
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Federal PTSD treatment for a convicted murderer ... Empty Re: Federal PTSD treatment for a convicted murderer ...

Post by Nemo Wed 29 Aug 2018, 15:47

I am one that does not accept the excuse of PTSD when someone with PTSD kills someone. If PTSD makes you a potential killer that all those with PTSD would need to be locked up to keep the rest of society safe.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Federal PTSD treatment for a convicted murderer ... Empty Re: Federal PTSD treatment for a convicted murderer ...

Post by Teentitan Wed 29 Aug 2018, 12:33

Rubicon very insightful thought but how many PTSD vets (or family members) who do kill others DO NOT take their own lives by suicide? I've done some diving on the internet and haven't found one incident where the person with PTSD did not kill themselves after killing another person.

This is wrong and I don't give a damn if Elizabeth May of the Green Party pushes to find out the details but we vets deserve an answer!  Starting with was this guy in therapy for being a son of a vet with PTSD before he murdered?  If he was then yes bad reporting.  But it's been two days and info like that would have been leaked by some knucklehead bureaucrat at VAC to the press.

And here I was thinking the Liberal "hug a thug" program was not going to be re-born under Trudeau.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Federal PTSD treatment for a convicted murderer ... Empty Federal PTSD treatment for a murderer ...

Post by Rubicon Wed 29 Aug 2018, 12:09

Yes, I tend to agree with you Nemo; let Corrections Canada's budget pay for his treatment. In the end, the federal pot of money is the federal pot of money. Didn't VAC just recently send back a bucket load of money to the feds? My guess is there is more to this story than we will ever know. Living with a veteran with PTSD certainly isn't a joy ride either so I suspect the author misrepresented this story and the now criminal dependent in this case was probably well on his way to having PTSD himself before committing murder but I'm not a therapist and never will be one. The sad part of it all is the therapy he is now receiving might have prevented him from taking a life had he had that therapy much much sooner coincident with his veteran father's treatment but again, we don't yet know the entire story.

Rubicon
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Wed 29 Aug 2018, 10:46

This should not be allowed. He is a murderer who got PTSD form killing someone. I don't care that they cite his father's PTSD form the military. Too bad. He is a killer. Let Corrections Canada deal with the murderer's PTSD>. Total and complete waste of VAC resources and funds.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Aug 2018, 09:07

Rubicon wrote:I think I just found the answers to my questions on dependent age limit for dependents of veterans diagnosed with PTSD. In legal terms this is called precedence.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/federal-ptsd-treatment-for-convicted-murderer/ar-BBMzMrm? li=AAggXBV

Rubicon ...
l

Last edited by Artie Simm on Mon 10 Sep 2018, 14:21; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Federal PTSD treatment for a convicted murderer ... Empty Federal PTSD treatment for a convicted murderer ...

Post by Rubicon Tue 28 Aug 2018, 21:14

I think I just found the answers to my questions on dependent age limit for dependents of veterans diagnosed with PTSD. In legal terms this is called precedence.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/federal-ptsd-treatment-for-convicted-murderer/ar-BBMzMrm?li=AAggXBV

Rubicon ...
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down