Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW REGULATIONS-1 APRIL 2019-PENSION FOR LIFE

5 posters

Go down

NEW REGULATIONS-1 APRIL 2019-PENSION FOR LIFE Empty NEW REGULATIONS-1 APRIL 2019-PENSION FOR LIFE

Post by cosmo12 Thu 06 Sep 2018, 17:29

Enjoy just want to vomit as it is hard to read

Have a great day folks

Cosmo

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2018/2018-09-05/html/index-eng.html

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

NEW REGULATIONS-1 APRIL 2019-PENSION FOR LIFE Empty Re: NEW REGULATIONS-1 APRIL 2019-PENSION FOR LIFE

Post by johnny211 Thu 06 Sep 2018, 18:23

Tks Cosmo. Wow, that’s a whole lot of red tape words. Way to much for this ptsd brain of mine..I wonder when they will get around to sending us out letters, on what it means for ea Vet. And a proper calculator on there site would help..Johnny Out.VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

NEW REGULATIONS-1 APRIL 2019-PENSION FOR LIFE Empty Re: NEW REGULATIONS-1 APRIL 2019-PENSION FOR LIFE

Post by propat Thu 06 Sep 2018, 21:14

ok just took a quick look and think I see something interesting .being a PA guy and receiving CIA and CIAS . ill get to keep that if its more than the IRB witch I understood earlier witch is great . however I thought because of this I would not receive the APSC .

NOW ; reading this I will be getting the APSC . it seems like an addition based on CIA but not replacing the CIA as that is being replaced within the IRB .

do I have this right ??? I must be missing something???

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:41

Propat, the way it will work, is that CIA will be replaced with the APSC. So if getting grade 3 CIA, instead of $599 before taxes, you will get $500 tax free. Plus you will continue to get the CIAS. Plus you will likely get to keep more of your CIAS, because the calculated taxes will be reduced.

"Veterans, survivors and orphans who are receiving ELB, RISB, and/or the CIAS on March 31, 2019, will have these amounts protected and indexed annually, until equal to or less than the IRB amount payable. Those entitled to continued ELB on March 31, 2019, will receive a lump sum payment equal to the SRB amount they will be entitled to on that date. Those who had been entitled to receive continued ELB but were no longer entitled to that benefit and have not received the SRB to which they are entitled will also receive a lump sum payment."

What is unclear, is if a Veteran is currently only getting the CIAS, without either the ELB or RISB, will they start getting the new IRB? After all, they say the IRB is replacing all those benefits. If so, that will be a huge boost for those Veterans.

The only negative I see, is paying out the SRB next year, instead of waiting until the Veteran reaches age 65, so that I'm losing out on 18 years worth of SRB. So if my ELB/IRB was $5000/month, without any COLA for all those years, it will still cost me around $22000, at a time when the monthly benefits will still be reduced.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:51

Bigrex is the SRB payout happening to all vets that have been receiving ELB? Is it like when the military stopped with severance pay and paid everyone out?

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 07 Sep 2018, 11:06

It's for everyone who was or currently getting EELB. Those getting short term ELB, while going to school or treatment, will not qualify. I suspect it will be similar to the severance pay, but since I was booted before they made that change, it's only a guess.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Fri 07 Sep 2018, 13:15

hey bigrex that's exactly how I thought it was to work however reading the regulations it does not seem that way . now the analysis below the regulation although not regulations themselves just the English version for lack of a better term seem to back that up .

just a couple of snippets from the analysis .

Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation (APSC) — This non-taxable benefit will recognize CAF veterans who are experiencing barriers to re-establishment in post-service life due to a service-related permanent and severe impairment. footnote 6 The permanent and severe impairment must be created by one or more disabilities for which the veteran has received a DA or PSC under the Veterans Well-being Act or a disability pension under the Pension Act.

Compensation is payable monthly at three grade levels (Grade 1: $1,500/month; Grade 2: $1,000/month; Grade 3: $500/month), with the grade level determined by the extent of the veteran’s impairment. These amounts will be indexed annually according to the CPI. The new benefit will be payable to veterans for life, as long as the eligibility criteria continue to be met.

Veterans in receipt of a CIA for service-related permanent and severe impairments on March 31, 2019, will automatically receive the APSC; their grade level will be protected and they will be paid the corresponding APSC amount.

Income Replacement Benefit (IRB) — This taxable benefit will replace the ELB, CIA, CIAS, SRB and RISB with one, simpler economic benefit.

now there is more there but seems to jive with the regulations .

as always go into stuff like this assuming im wrong and try to disprove myself . been busy so limited time but have tried to disprove this although not for as long as I would want to.

bigrex can you show me in the regulation where it goes against the analysis ???

because with my limited time I cant find it .

thank you in advance will be back on this evening sometime .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Fri 07 Sep 2018, 13:20

ok bigrex never mind buds just found it .

thanks again

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Fri 07 Sep 2018, 13:29

Re-postibg this email from VAC Director I received. It clairifies some things in regards to CIA and Supplement once the changes take effect.
Thank you for your review and comments on the proposed regulatory amendments to support the Pension for Life benefit package. I hope the additional information below helps to answer your questions.

No Veterans in receipt of the CIA Supplement will receive less than this amount. the amount(s) of Earnings Loss Benefit, Retirement Income Security Benefit, and Career Impact Allowance Supplement a veteran is eligible for before offsets, prior to the implementation of the Income Replacement Benefit are being protected on the coming into force, and will be annually indexed.

With respect to grade levels, individuals who are in receipt of CIA before April 1, 2019 will automatically transition into APSC at the same grade level they were receiving for CIA. For this group, they will remain at this deemed grade level, even if they should have been reassessed at a lower grade due to earnings capacity impacts no longer being considered under the APSC. In other words, the grade level for this group will be protected for as long as the Veteran continues to receive the benefit. While the concept of "grade level" will not appear in legislation, this protection is nonetheless set out in the transitional provisions relating to the APSC in Bill C-74 as subsection 133(4). Note that while the grade level for these Veterans will never be decreased, they will still have the right to a higher grade level if their condition worsens.

I hope this information helps to clarify some of your concerns.

Respectfully,
Director, Cabinet Business Unit
Veterans Affairs Canada

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum