Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ELB Class Action Law Suit Settlement Reached

+11
Kevin 911
Peace
Kramer
EZRider
1993firebird
BinRat
JumpingFool
sailor964
Nemo
861Cook
bigrex
15 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

ELB Class Action Law Suit Settlement Reached - Page 6 Empty Re: ELB Class Action Law Suit Settlement Reached

Post by Guest Thu 13 Sep 2018, 03:39

Nemo wrote:
861Cook wrote:How does one know if they are part of the class action? I don't remember signing on?

In a class action you are automatically included if you meet what the class action is about. You have to opt out not to be included.

Did you receive ELB, CFIS or War Veterans Allowwance between 2006 and 2012?

Back to top Go down

ELB Class Action Law Suit Settlement Reached - Page 6 Empty Re: ELB Class Action Law Suit Settlement Reached

Post by Nemo Thu 13 Sep 2018, 03:12

861Cook wrote:How does one know if they are part of the class action? I don't remember signing on?

In a class action you are automatically included if you meet what the class action is about. You have to opt out not to be included.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 861Cook Thu 13 Sep 2018, 02:06

How does one know if they are part of the class action? I don't remember signing on?
861Cook
861Cook
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 12 Sep 2018, 21:08

I honestly don't know if this will affect me or not. I guess it depends on when retroactive ELB is paid to, the application date, or the approval date, since my ELB was approved only days after they made the announcement about ceasing the clawback, otherwise I was going to be zero sumed.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

ELB Class Action Law Suit Settlement Reached - Page 6 Empty ELB Class Action Law Suit Settlement Reached

Post by Guest Wed 12 Sep 2018, 09:21

CLASS PROCEEDING – NOTICE OF SETTLEMENT
On Monday, September 10, 2018, Justice Kane of the Federal Court of Canada approved a Notice of Settlement Approval (“Notice”). The Notice announces that a motion will be heard before the Federal Court in Ottawa from December 10 through December 12, 2018, in which Class counsel will ask the Federal Court to approve a settlement that involves the Government of Canada paying $100 million to resolve the litigation.

The settlement proceeds will be divided into two separate funds, one fund for Canadian Forces members who were affected by deductions from Earnings Loss Benefits (“or ELB”) or Canadian Forces Income Support (“CFIS”) benefits between April 1, 2006 and May 29, 2012, and a second fund for war veterans who were entitled to receive a War Veterans Allowance (“WVA”) before 2012.

Based on current estimates, Class Members who received ELB or CFIS will be paid an amount based on their current Pension Act disability assessment ranging from $2,500 to $50,000 depending on their assessed degree of disability. Class Members who were entitled to WVA will be paid a lump sum currently estimated to be $2,500. The figures payable could change based upon closer analysis of class size and/or factors relating to individual entitlement.

The details of the settlement are in the English and French language versions of the Notice appended the Federal Court’s order, which you can click here: T-1068-14 Order.

The Notices will be published later this week in national media and copies will also be mailed to the last known address of Class Members.

Class members who previously opted out of the Class Proceeding will be entitled to opt back in to benefit from the settlement.

If you wish to speak to class counsel please call Gowling WLG at 416-369-6183 or Michel Drapeau Law Office at 613-236-2657, Extension 205. You can also email us at Veterans@gowlingwlg.com or Michel.Drapeau@mdlo.ca or Joshua.Juneau@mdlo.ca;

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6