Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Disabilities after you reach 100%

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Disabilities after you reach 100%

Post by bigrex on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 20:55

If you are deemed DEC, you can get EELB, which is 90% of your pre-release pay, before deductions from other sources, which includes CF pension, CPP, and part or all of any employment earnings. And you can also get CIA and CIAS, at least for now.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3555
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 19:37

bigrex wrote:There is no such thing as a DEC amount, since DEC is not a benefit.It is merely a recognition that your employment opportunities have been greatly reduced because of your medical conditions. But the DEC classification, entitles the Veteran to collect ELB/RISB (soon the the IRB). for life, and currently the PIAS. Any money received from CPP would only be used to reduce the ELB/RISB/IRB benefit.

And being approved for CPP(D) has no bearing on being approved for DEC, or any VAC benefits, because they use completely different criteria.
l guess that’s what l meant,

Last edited by Artie Simm on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 09:23; edited 1 time in total
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 18:45

There is no such thing as a DEC amount, since DEC is not a benefit.It is merely a recognition that your employment opportunities have been greatly reduced because of your medical conditions. But the DEC classification, entitles the Veteran to collect ELB/RISB (soon the the IRB). for life, and currently the PIAS. Any money received from CPP would only be used to reduce the ELB/RISB/IRB benefit.

And being approved for CPP(D) has no bearing on being approved for DEC, or any VAC benefits, because they use completely different criteria.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 16:00

propat wrote:hey buds there are the disadvantages like the application prosses itself and making sure the payback of retro is done properly . however if you are considering this I believe you have already taken this into account . outside of this there is no real disadvantage .

the benefits can be significant depending on your situation such as if your application dates back to pre release or if you have or will have kids attending post secondary training or education and what not.

CPPD also freezes your CPP calculation so going many years without paying in would have no effect on your CPP calcs if you are on CPPD . now this use to be a big thing in years past but not so big today with new benefits lost benefits extended benefits and changes in the math in benefits that are constantly happening and will be happening come april.

so if you are not in any position that it will give you a financial advantage and are absolutely positive vets benefits will never change before you turn 65 then its probably not worth your time and effort .

keep in mind CPP effects ALL Canadians thus so politicians will never make changes to that program unless they are real and actual improvements .as for vets benefits welllll we are a small demographic so fracking us and our benefits over is much easier politicly speaking an as we have seen from 2006 right up to april this coming year they are defiantly not above this .

good luck buds hope this helps.

propat
thx for the info. If someone is getting cpp disability and is suddenly declared DEC by VAC, is the CPPD amount also subtracted from what ever the Monthy DEC amount is? On the reverse, if a person was considered only 80-90% disabled by VAC but a applied for and was granted CPPD , wouldn’t that revaluation be enough or the equivalent proof for VAC to declare a vet DEC despite not being at 100% disability by their own criteria.?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by propat on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 12:14

hey buds there are the disadvantages like the application prosses itself and making sure the payback of retro is done properly . however if you are considering this I believe you have already taken this into account . outside of this there is no real disadvantage .

the benefits can be significant depending on your situation such as if your application dates back to pre release or if you have or will have kids attending post secondary training or education and what not.

CPPD also freezes your CPP calculation so going many years without paying in would have no effect on your CPP calcs if you are on CPPD . now this use to be a big thing in years past but not so big today with new benefits lost benefits extended benefits and changes in the math in benefits that are constantly happening and will be happening come april.

so if you are not in any position that it will give you a financial advantage and are absolutely positive vets benefits will never change before you turn 65 then its probably not worth your time and effort .

keep in mind CPP effects ALL Canadians thus so politicians will never make changes to that program unless they are real and actual improvements .as for vets benefits welllll we are a small demographic so fracking us and our benefits over is much easier politicly speaking an as we have seen from 2006 right up to april this coming year they are defiantly not above this .

good luck buds hope this helps.

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 17:21

bigrex wrote:Well, personally, I am assessed at 121%, even though only paid at 90%. I have EELB and CIA/CIAS, as well as the disability tax credit. I do not get CPP(D), and was never pressured to get it. For me, it's just not worth the headaches. And now that the IRB will be extended for life, I will never actually get any benefit from CPP, or OAS
would there be disadvantages of receiving CPPD while on ELB other than the obvious reduction in what VAC is required to allot a vet over a possible 2 year plus period.? Someone could be on ELB but not be declared DEC after 2 years, wouldn’t it be in their best interest to apply for CPPD while on ELB in case VAC closes the door on them.? *l understand your case is different as you are EELB.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 09:42

Well, personally, I am assessed at 121%, even though only paid at 90%. I have EELB and CIA/CIAS, as well as the disability tax credit. I do not get CPP(D), and was never pressured to get it. For me, it's just not worth the headaches. And now that the IRB will be extended for life, I will never actually get any benefit from CPP, or OAS
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 02:59

Teentitan wrote:When you apply for CPPD or the disability tax credit you can use your disability assessment from VAC as a reference in the application stage.  

It's a way of showing how you became disabled, how long you have been disabled, level of disability,  a record of health assessment/treatment from various doctors.

I know each gov't department has their own definition/rules for being classified as disabled but VAC is detailed on your health history and it helps the adjudication process.  The CRA is the hardest, IMO, to get but there is some aid from your VAC history during their adjudication process.  
outside of a person wishing they were 100% healthy.Which is the better route ,relying solely on VAC through DEC benefits or applying and say successfully getting Canada Disability . I understand canada disability payments would be subtracted from VAC ones, but is there any advantage to being on both plans, or should a person avoid the Canada Disability as being 100% with VAC helps out a vet more?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 02:21

Artie Simm wrote:
sports1977 wrote:I just sent my paper work to  my Doctor and he filled them out for PTSD and i was approved...
yes l have heard that CRA is a little more lenient on mental disabilty as its subjective, but physical is more easily measured/denied.let me ask you, have you applied for copd as well?
l apologize if I've already asked this before...

Last edited by Artie Simm on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 09:21; edited 1 time in total
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 02:15

sports1977 wrote:I just sent my paper work to  my Doctor and he filled them out for PTSD and i was approved...
yes l have heard that CRA is a little more lenient on mental disabilty as its subjective, but physical is more easily measured/denied.let me ask you, have you applied for canada disability as well?(outside of VAC)

Last edited by Artie Simm on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 02:52; edited 1 time in total
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sports1977 on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 20:22

I just sent my paper work to my Doctor and he filled them out for PTSD and i was approved...

sports1977
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 18:16

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/information-medical-practitioners/eligibility-criteria-disability-tax-credit.html#vsn
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 18:00

Artie Simm - Yes, I am DEC, have cppd, and been denied 3 times now for DTC. Crazy gov BS..
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 646
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by coppers2002 on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 15:32

Artie Simm wrote:
coppers2002 wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
Armygunner wrote:
Teentitan wrote:When you apply for CPPD or the disability tax credit you can use your disability assessment from VAC as a reference in the application stage.  

It's a way of showing how you became disabled, how long you have been disabled, level of disability,  a record of health assessment/treatment from various doctors.

I know each gov't department has their own definition/rules for being classified as disabled but VAC is detailed on your health history and it helps the adjudication process.  The CRA is the hardest, IMO, to get but there is some aid from your VAC history during their adjudication process.  

When you apply for the Disability Tax Credit you need to be MARKED RESTRICTED in one of the categories. Without the Marked Restricted, you'll have a very hard time getting the DTC.
what are the categories? Who designates a person marked restricted?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/information-medical-practitioners/eligibility-criteria-disability-tax-credit.htmlhttps://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/information-medical-practitioners/eligibility-criteria-disability-tax-credit.html#mrkd

My mother qualifies for this (not military) but she is unable to work, unable to walk more than 25 meters. It is tough to qualify and lots of paperwork for your doctor to fill out.
do you mean it's tough to qualify for the disability payment, or just the tax credit or both?.l know of someone who is getting the tax credit but has not applied for the actual disabilty,they got the tax credit based on information obtained from VAC

I am talking Disability Tax Credit; VERY hard to qualify for. My husband is over 100% as well receives caregiver and wouldn't qualify for that.

coppers2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2017-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 09:54

Nemo wrote:Yeah, you can be very disabled and even 100% according to CPP or SISIP and still not be eligible for the tax credit.
ao your saying someone can receive canada disability but not be granted the tax credit as well from CRA,that sounds contradictory
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next