Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CIA appeal

+2
bigrex
45jim
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

CIA appeal - Page 2 Empty Re: CIA appeal

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2018, 22:05

Bruce72 wrote:I really don't know Artie how it works.
and is DEC the same process, do you tell your CM that you would like to apply for DEC status or should they and or theVAC board or minister or whoever calls the shots, just look at the evidence before them on their own and instantly declare you DEC (assuming a vet fit the criteria)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2018, 21:46

I really don't know Artie how it works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2018, 21:25

Bruce72 wrote:
45jim wrote:No takers?

I wish I could help you too. I only ever once appealed a decision by VAC and it was my CIA level. I was unsuccessful on the first go and left it at that.

Every application I have made or reassessment, except for the CIA level was granted in my favour. And I didn't appeal the positive decisions, because always I felt the decisions were fair. Not necessarily what I hoped for, but fair.

Good luck on your appeal. I hope things work out for you.
who is the mystery executioner anyway is it an individual or a see no,hear no, speak no evil board of 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2018, 19:41

45jim wrote:No takers?

I wish I could help you too. I only ever once appealed a decision by VAC and it was my CIA level. I was unsuccessful on the first go and left it at that.

Every application I have made or reassessment, except for the CIA level was granted in my favour. And I didn't appeal the positive decisions, because always I felt the decisions were fair. Not necessarily what I hoped for, but fair.

Good luck on your appeal. I hope things work out for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Fri 05 Oct 2018, 14:33

When I first applied CIA it was PIA and I applied just after the conservatives had made changes to it. I was denied. A year later when the Liberals made changes changing the name to CIA I wasn't sure what was all changed so I applied again this time it was granted. The difference was the person doing my application. The first person didn't think I for the criteria and the second time the person did see me fitting the criteria. So I did not appeal just reapplied and got lucky that I had a more understanding person look at my application.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Fri 05 Oct 2018, 11:43

Artie Simm,

I was denied CIA. No benefit so no CIA level 1, 2, or 3 for me. Unfortunately for me I can get CIA but my medical condition has to change for the worse. I have cancer and basically speaking if my physical limitations and ADL's diminish then I can reapply for CIA and most likely will receive it. In this instance I am hoping that I never qualify for CIA.

AIrLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2018, 11:25

AirLog wrote:Good morning 45jim,

I did apply for CIA and was denied CIA in January 2018. I appealed and in March 2018 I was denied once again. I didn't ask for further review as I didn't fit the reasoning VAC argued for someone to be granted CIA. Have a look at my letter from VAC. I have physical limitations but not severe enough to fit the VAC definition for CIA. I spoke with one of the lawyers for VAC and they informed me that they do not oversee or provide assistance for CIA benefits; only disability benefits. I can't seem to attach my PDF document to this page so I will send you a private message.

AirLog
what about appealing the level of CIA, if a vet is labeled the lowest grade but feels their grade is 2, is it the same process through the same organization, l hate the fact that applications and appeals for CIA and the suppliment are not transparent on the myvacaccount. I mean even if it says “application/appeal takes 20 weeks”, at least you have a gauge, but as it stands now you have no idea if your application/appeal is even entered until you get a response that it was denied.

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Fri 05 Oct 2018, 11:18

Can't seem to upload a copy of the CIA letter (pdf file). Guidance please.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Fri 05 Oct 2018, 11:07

Good morning 45jim,

I did apply for CIA and was denied CIA in January 2018. I appealed and in March 2018 I was denied once again. I didn't ask for further review as I didn't fit the reasoning VAC argued for someone to be granted CIA. Have a look at my letter from VAC. I have physical limitations but not severe enough to fit the VAC definition for CIA. I spoke with one of the lawyers for VAC and they informed me that they do not oversee or provide assistance for CIA benefits; only disability benefits. I can't seem to attach my PDF document to this page so I will send you a private message.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 05 Oct 2018, 10:16

I wish I could be of assistance, but I haven't gone through an appeal for CIA, or dealt with any appeal that didn't involve VRAB.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 45jim Fri 05 Oct 2018, 08:58

No takers?

45jim
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2018-02-03

Back to top Go down

CIA appeal - Page 2 Empty CIA appeal

Post by 45jim Thu 04 Oct 2018, 13:58

Just had CIA denied (first application) and I am going to appeal. The appeal process for this benefit is through the National First Level Appeal Unit, which appears to be another name for a departmental review, so no VRAB assistance. My application was based on physical disabilities and not having appealed any decision before I am looking for some guidance in how to draw up and word my appeal. I have already read their decision in detail and notice the "form letter" type of content. So i think it was just the general first kick-at-the-can denial.

So, has anyone successfully appealed and would they be prepared to provide the "jist" of their appeal so that I can use it as a template. Obviously, I can fill in the blanks with regards to disabilities and quote VAC scripture but I am really looking for a letter format that can remain here so it becomes a resource for all that need it.

Once I submit my appeal and I get (hopefully) a positive response I will post my letter as at least one example that may be of assistance to someone else.

Any takers?

45jim
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2018-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2