Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question regarding percentage/number!!

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Question regarding percentage/number!! Empty Re: Question regarding percentage/number!!

Post by Gunner8 Sun 11 Nov 2018, 17:45

Okay. Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Question regarding percentage/number!! Empty Re: Question regarding percentage/number!!

Post by bigrex Sat 10 Nov 2018, 18:36

No, it just says that most of the criteria must be met at a specific level. So you could meet level 1 for driving, and the rest at level three, and still get level 3.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sat 10 Nov 2018, 17:59

So for example, would you have to have all those things in level 3 to be considered level 3? What if u could drive for example, like level 1, but you had extreme difficulties to be around any friends/ family, or not able To work, like in level 3? How would they rate you?

Basically if you have one of those that fall in level 3, would that make you level 3? Thanks for all your help.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 10 Nov 2018, 15:42

bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Sat 10 Nov 2018, 15:14

Gunner8 wrote:Who determines the QOL, Vac or your medical professional? Is the QOL based totalled on the sheet they get you to fill out?

Thanks for all your help.

Gunner
Hi Gunner, 

The VAC medical adjudicators refer to all the medical evidence, doctor reports, QOL Medical Questionnaire in your file to assign you a QOL rating. If you don't agree with the your Medical Impairment Rating or Quality of Life Rating, you can always ask for a review. 

Cheers, 
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Nov 2018, 13:29

Gunner8 wrote:Who determines the QOL, Vac or your medical professional? Is the QOL based totalled on the sheet they get you to fill out?

Gunner
I’m probably wrong, but I think QOL is determined per injury, I.e. you can have a foot injury, how does that impact your QOL , maybe 1% , but you could also have ptsd and never left the house in 2 years, it might affect your QOL 90%. On line I think every ailment has a chart that separates the severity of the injury,

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sat 10 Nov 2018, 12:01

Who determines the QOL, Vac or your medical professional? Is the QOL based totalled on the sheet they get you to fill out?

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 09 Nov 2018, 15:16

Artie Simm wrote:
By the Bay wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:Sorry for all the questions ,but when determining a MI ot QOL rating, are these ratings individual per disability or added up as a whole? I understand for example that on the injury you mentioned there were 4 tables added up that gave a 65 %, but what if a vet had 3 different disabilities all granted 30%. Collectively that would be 90% and combined could really ruin a vets QOL.when looking at the qOL table  would that be taken into account?
Hi Artie, 

Never apologize for asking questions! There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions.👍
If your pensioned condition has been 'bracketed', your medical rating can not be separated for the medical assessment purpose and are combined together to arrive at one MIR. 
The term 'bracketed conditions' is defined as a entitled condition which affects the same body area or resulted in a similar loss of function. 
However if your pensioned claims are not 'bracketed' they are calculated individually. 
So if you have let's say medical impairment for PTSD 43%, and a Quaility of life 11, then submit a claim for hearing loss and was granted 80% and a Quality of life 13. 
PTSD= 43%+ 11= 54%
Hearing Loss= 80% + 13= 93%
Giving your file a 147% Medical Impairment. 

Cheers, 
By the Bay
man this stuff gets crazier the more I read, so you’re telling me a vet could have 5 separate claims all tallying 50% each....so their MI is rated at 250%..?, there is no ceiling.? Or is there yet another chart that lists 1% - 100, 101-200%, 201-300% medical impairment, in terms of determine just how busted up a vet is.?

Hi Artie, 

Each claim has its own MIR calculation unless it's a bracket disability condition. 
However, once you hit 100% in total for MI and entitlement percentages, you receive no more monetary compensation. There are no other charts is available in 2006 table of disabilities after you reach 100%. When your file reaches 100% full entitlement disability pension, VAC uses the remainder for treatment purposes only.  Such as, if you have submitted a claim for an eye injury after you reach 100% full entitlement disability pension/ awards, your compensation is treatment only. 

Example, 

My Uncle Dave has 149% MIR. 
He has reached the 100% disability limited on monetary compensation. 
He submitted a claim for back injury after he hit 110%. He was granted 39% MI for that pensioned condition.  VAC pays for his treatment, medication, back brace and bathroom assisted hand rails etc. 

Hope this helps, 
By the Bay.
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2018, 14:30

man this stuff gets crazier the more I read, so you’re telling me a vet could have 5 separate claims all tallying 50% each....so their MI is rated at 250%..?, there is no ceiling.? Or is there yet another chart that lists 1% - 100, 101-200%, 201-300% medical impairment, in terms of determine just how busted up a vet is.?

Last edited by Artie Simm on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:07; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 09 Nov 2018, 14:05

Artie Simm wrote:Sorry for all the questions ,but when determining a MI ot QOL rating, are these ratings individual per disability or added up as a whole? I understand for example that on the injury you mentioned there were 4 tables added up that gave a 65 %, but what if a vet had 3 different disabilities all granted 30%. Collectively that would be 90% and combined could really ruin a vets QOL.when looking at the qOL table  would that be taken into account?
Hi Artie, 

Never apologize for asking questions! There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions.👍
If your pensioned condition has been 'bracketed', your medical rating can not be separated for the medical assessment purpose and are combined together to arrive at one MIR. 
The term 'bracketed conditions' is defined as a entitled condition which affects the same body area or resulted in a similar loss of function. 
However if your pensioned claims are not 'bracketed' they are calculated individually. 
So if you have let's say medical impairment for PTSD 43%, and a Quaility of life 11, then submit a claim for hearing loss and was granted 80% and a Quality of life 13. 
PTSD= 43%+ 11= 54%
Hearing Loss= 80% + 13= 93%
Giving your file a 147% Medical Impairment. 

Cheers, 
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2018, 09:14

Sorry for all the questions ,but when determining a MI ot QOL rating, are these ratings individual per disability or added up as a whole? I understand for example that on the injury you mentioned there were 4 tables added up that gave a 65 %, but what if a vet had 3 different disabilities all granted 30%. Collectively that would be 90% and combined could really ruin a vets QOL.when looking at the qOL table  would that be taken into account?

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 09 Nov 2018, 02:23

Artie Simm wrote:
By the Bay wrote:
21.1Artie Simm wrote:
bigrex wrote:No, because the QoL tables only start at 1%. A MIR rating of 0, is VAC saying that even if you have a legitimate medical condition, you are not suffering from a disability. So, no disability, means no affect on your quality of life.
so is the MEdical Rating concerned with a vets ability to dress, feed himself etc or is it someth8ng else?, and could a vet not have a disability that effects is QOL greatly and yet be mobile and able to go to the washroom himself..?, what is contained in determining a QOL rating, a person could be living a totally crappy life yet still have am MI rating of 0 just because he has all limbs
Hi Artie, 

The MIR scoring is based on your pensioned condition and must meet certain criteria set out in the 2006 Table of Disabilitlies. 

The Quality of life scoring is also based on your pensioned condition and must also meet that criteria set out in the 2006 Table of Disabilities under QOF Criteria. 

For Example: 
Pensioned condition for PTSD 2006 under the Table of Disabilities: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-21-2006

How it works? Check out http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-21-2006#a08

As for Quality of life....
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-02-2006

Check out how VAC calculates the QOL: 
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-02-2006#a06

You will notice under the Rating Table there are 4 subsections: 21.1, 21.2, 21.3 and 21.4
Each one is assigned a number which consists your disability limitations. VAC may agree that you meet 2 out of the 4 Rating Table criteria or you may meet all 4 critieria in which they assign a number according to your limitations. 

The QOL rating table criteria has 3 levels: 
Level 1- QOL is considered mildly affected by the entitled condition. 
Level 2- QOL is considered moderately affected by the entitled condition. 
Level 3- QOL is considered extremely affected by the enetitled condition. 

After VAC determines what your QOL level and the Medical Impairment rating, VAC compares your medical rating in conjunction with your QOL rating by referring to the QOL Converstion Table Table 2.2

For example here is my personal MIR and QOL break down: 

Based on my medical information, my condition meets the criteria set out in tables 21.1, 21.2, 21.3 and 21.4. 
VAC has determined that I meet all 4 Medical Impairment Criteria. 
Under 21.1 VAC assigned me a rating of 35
Under 21.2 VAC assigned me a rating of 15
Under 21.3 VAC assigned me a rating of 5 
Under 21.4 VAC assigned me a rating of 10

Therefore, my MIR is 65%

As for my QOL, I meet the criteria that my daily activities have been affected by my condition based on Tables 2.1 and 2.2 of of the 2006 Table of Disabilities subsection Ch2 Quality of Life. 

So under table 2.1, VAC assigned my QOL a level 2 because they believed that my QOL is moderately affected by my entitled condition. 

In order to get the final disability assessment percentage, one must refer to 2.2 2006 Table of Disabilies subsection Ch2 2.2 Quality of life Conversion Table. 

On the conversion table, my Medical Impairment rate of 65 and Quality of Level 2 gives me a 
65+11=76% 
Therefore, my total disability pension assessment is 76% of 2/5. 

Hope this helps,
By the Bay
everything thing you posted was a fantastic help, until the last line, lol. I was catching what you were pitching until you said your total disability is 76% of 2/5. Where did the 2/5 come from, was this a consequential injury , how would someone determine 76% of 2/5 as a cash value etc.?

Sorry for the confusion, Artie! 
The 2/5th fraction is not a percentage of my Medical Impairment or Quality of life rating. It does not represent any cash value or any other consequential injury. The 2/5th is my entitlement portion of my disability pension.  I showed the total disability as the full equation 2/5 of 76%.  It has nothing to do with the MIR or QOL. So just ignore that part of the equation. I am glad the information was helpful! 

Cheers, 
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2018, 01:17

[
everything thing you posted was a fantastic help, until the last line, lol. I was catching what you were pitching until you said your total disability is 76% of 2/5. Where did the 2/5 come from, was this a consequential injury , how would someone determine 76% of 2/5 as a cash value etc.?

Last edited by Artie Simm on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:06; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Thu 08 Nov 2018, 22:46

21.1Artie Simm wrote:
bigrex wrote:No, because the QoL tables only start at 1%. A MIR rating of 0, is VAC saying that even if you have a legitimate medical condition, you are not suffering from a disability. So, no disability, means no affect on your quality of life.
so is the MEdical Rating concerned with a vets ability to dress, feed himself etc or is it someth8ng else?, and could a vet not have a disability that effects is QOL greatly and yet be mobile and able to go to the washroom himself..?, what is contained in determining a QOL rating, a person could be living a totally crappy life yet still have am MI rating of 0 just because he has all limbs
Hi Artie, 

The MIR scoring is based on your pensioned condition and must meet certain criteria set out in the 2006 Table of Disabilitlies. 

The Quality of life scoring is also based on your pensioned condition and must also meet that criteria set out in the 2006 Table of Disabilities under QOF Criteria. 

For Example: 
Pensioned condition for PTSD 2006 under the Table of Disabilities: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-21-2006

How it works? Check out http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-21-2006#a08

As for Quality of life....
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-02-2006

Check out how VAC calculates the QOL: 
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-02-2006#a06

You will notice under the Rating Table there are 4 subsections: 21.1, 21.2, 21.3 and 21.4
Each one is assigned a number which consists your disability limitations. VAC may agree that you meet 2 out of the 4 Rating Table criteria or you may meet all 4 critieria in which they assign a number according to your limitations. 

The QOL rating table criteria has 3 levels: 
Level 1- QOL is considered mildly affected by the entitled condition. 
Level 2- QOL is considered moderately affected by the entitled condition. 
Level 3- QOL is considered extremely affected by the enetitled condition. 

After VAC determines what your QOL level and the Medical Impairment rating, VAC compares your medical rating in conjunction with your QOL rating by referring to the QOL Converstion Table Table 2.2

For example here is my personal MIR and QOL break down: 

Based on my medical information, my condition meets the criteria set out in tables 21.1, 21.2, 21.3 and 21.4. 
VAC has determined that I meet all 4 Medical Impairment Criteria. 
Under 21.1 VAC assigned me a rating of 35
Under 21.2 VAC assigned me a rating of 15
Under 21.3 VAC assigned me a rating of 5 
Under 21.4 VAC assigned me a rating of 10

Therefore, my MIR is 65%

As for my QOL, I meet the criteria that my daily activities have been affected by my condition based on Tables 2.1 and 2.2 of of the 2006 Table of Disabilities subsection Ch2 Quality of Life. 

So under table 2.1, VAC assigned my QOL a level 2 because they believed that my QOL is moderately affected by my entitled condition. 

In order to get the final disability assessment percentage, one must refer to 2.2 2006 Table of Disabilies subsection Ch2 2.2 Quality of life Conversion Table. 

On the conversion table, my Medical Impairment rate of 65 and Quality of Level 2 gives me a 
65+11=76% 
Therefore, my total disability pension assessment is 76% of 2/5. 

Hope this helps,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 08 Nov 2018, 22:40

It depends on the type of medical condition. They have a bunch of different conditions under the Table of Disabilities, each with a list of possible symptoms, and their level of impairment.

For example, psychiatric conditions (PTSD, Depression and OSI) compares the reported symptoms, against four different tables, Thought and Cognition (0-35%), Emotion, Behaviour and Coping (Adaptability) (0-35%), Activities of Daily Living (0-25%) and Treatment Needs (0-20%). Then the four levels are added together, QOL is added, to get the overall assessment. So it's possible that someone will severe PTSD, to the point of needing to be hospitalized long term, would be assessed at 135%, without any consequential conditions.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next