Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More than one reassessment

Go down

More than one reassessment  Empty Re: More than one reassessment

Post by Guest Wed 05 Dec 2018, 16:00

Ya the RCMP fall under VAC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Wed 05 Dec 2018, 13:06

Bruce72, It makes no sense what they tell us. For the past several months they keep saying there working on January claims. They really must not know what they are talking about.

RCMP deal with the same ones that we deal with?

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Dec 2018, 14:30

Gunner8 wrote:Bruce72, I know what you mean. Everytime I phone there I just hope I can get someone who actually wants to help. Especially when your on hold waiting for 20 minutes, only to get a analyst who says, we’re working on January claims, and she don’t give any other information. There’s no consistency at all. I really hope they can fix these issues soon. Seems like it’s gotten worse, than better!!
I remember back when I put in my first claim in 2010, and another in 2013, both were done 16 weeks to the day.

Gunner

That's just it Gunner. Consistency changes with employees, legislation, policy, eligibility you name it. And it is not fair to vets. The RCMP never seem to have a problem with VAC though and that's a wonder for sure. I'm still puzzling that one out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Mon 03 Dec 2018, 14:16

Bruce72, I know what you mean. Everytime I phone there I just hope I can get someone who actually wants to help. Especially when your on hold waiting for 20 minutes, only to get a analyst who says, we’re working on January claims, and she don’t give any other information. There’s no consistency at all. I really hope they can fix these issues soon. Seems like it’s gotten worse, than better!!
I remember back when I put in my first claim in 2010, and another in 2013, both were done 16 weeks to the day.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Dec 2018, 07:13

Gunner8 wrote:Hi Bruce72,

Thanks for the reply. I definitely feel some aspects have worsened. And the fact that I’m still dealing with this daily and can’t get back in the workforce is very frustrating.

I didn’t know if it was normal to get several reassessments, but I guess it makes sense if you feel it worsens for sure. It’s just with Vac ya never know what to expect. Thanks again.

Gunner

No problem Gunner.

You know there is no shame in asking for a reassessment. A year ago I also had my feet and knees reassessed under the former pension act, (believe it or not it was a VAC employee from their health services department that suggested I apply) and I received a positive decision on all for 4 applications. There is no law states that once you have been diagnosed and received benefits from a service related disability, that that is the end of the issues you face.

It can be very daunting to deal with VAC, but I have found through personal experience that it all depends on who you are interacting with at VA. It is an unfortunate part of human nature, that sometimes the people that are supposed to help, can turn out to be a barrier in and of themselves. I blame this on not enough oversight and VAC employees Union protecting those who practice outside their scope of practice.

On the flipside I have had other interactions with VAC employees, not just case managers and I couldn't believe the night and day difference in how those other people spoke to me and how helpful they were. I believe they understood how I felt and how my life has been affected by service related disabilities.

So you see there is no "winning strategy" when dealing with VAC, you just have to hope you get an understanding person on the other end of the phone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sun 02 Dec 2018, 23:28

My Psychiatrist said I was stable. And that was why I didn’t have to see her anymore. And at the time, I did feel like I was doing a better. But it didn’t last, and instead of going back I just turned to alcohol.
I was fortunate enough Then to meet my now Fiancé who stood by me through a lot of tough times, and made me get help again.
I was going down a bad path. So I did reach out and got help again. And have been seeing a new psychiatrist every since.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Dec 2018, 23:04

Gunner8 wrote:Has anyone else had more than one reassessment for ptsd?
I had initial 10% back in 2013. Then a year later got diagnosed for 30%. I stopped seeing my psychiatrist after (because I was said to be stable) I did the rehab program in 2015 and went back to school. Struggled with attendence but I did graduate with a diploma and great marks. My ptsd starting acting up again ( I don’t think it ever stopped, I just dealt with it through alcohol) And I’m still on elb because I still haven’t been able to get back to work. I thought I could, but my anxiety is the worst its ever been. And I’ve been seeing a social worker again now for the past 18 months or so.
Now I’m in the process of another reassessment. Is it normal to get more than 1 reassessment? Thanks

Gunner
not to pry, but you put it out there, who dictated that you were " stable", and what characterizes stability when talking about PTSD, I.e. I'm an alcoholic, I can go without a drink for a decade but I'll never be considered " cured"

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sun 02 Dec 2018, 22:42

Hi Bruce72,

Thanks for the reply. I definitely feel some aspects have worsened. And the fact that I’m still dealing with this daily and can’t get back in the workforce is very frustrating.

I didn’t know if it was normal to get several reassessments, but I guess it makes sense if you feel it worsens for sure. It’s just with Vac ya never know what to expect. Thanks again.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Dec 2018, 16:41

Hi Gunner

I have had an initial assessment for PTSD in 2008 and 4 subsequent reassessments since, with each reassessment resulting in an increase to my medical impairment rating.

If you feel your condition/s have worsened you should always ask for a reassessment. There's nothing abnormal about it.

Back to top Go down

More than one reassessment  Empty More than one reassessment

Post by Gunner8 Sun 02 Dec 2018, 16:09

Has anyone else had more than one reassessment for ptsd?
I had initial 10% back in 2013. Then a year later got diagnosed for 30%. I stopped seeing my psychiatrist after (because I was said to be stable) I did the rehab program in 2015 and went back to school. Struggled with attendence but I did graduate with a diploma and great marks. My ptsd starting acting up again ( I don’t think it ever stopped, I just dealt with it through alcohol) And I’m still on elb because I still haven’t been able to get back to work. I thought I could, but my anxiety is the worst its ever been. And I’ve been seeing a social worker again now for the past 18 months or so.
Now I’m in the process of another reassessment. Is it normal to get more than 1 reassessment? Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down