Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

+5
bigrex
By the Bay
propat
Teager
Supremedebater
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Time to let the cat out of the bag - Page 2 Empty Re: Time to let the cat out of the bag

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2018, 08:57

I have to agree with Teager. I too am receiving all that VAC has to offer. I spent 10 years arguing my case to VAC with the help of three psychologists, one of them with a PhD. I jumped through every hoop VAC threw at me. I did everything they asked me to do and everything they required me to do.

I never appealed any decision VAC handed down, except for my CIA level and I let it go when I lost my appeal. It's now being reviewed a second time as I am DEC.

I fail to see how a union could have helped me.

CSAT and CVDBSF helped me as well as VETS Canada.

Back to top Go down

Time to let the cat out of the bag - Page 2 Empty Royal fu#k over

Post by acerman1234 Mon 17 Dec 2018, 08:14

Years ago a Public Service Union rep. sold the Veterans/retirees out by agreeing to
double our Health Care premiums with the simple explanation that the government was
going to do it anyways!???? Now we are stuck with this increase and the feds explanation is
that we (union reps) all agreed? What a royal fu#k over don't you agree. Will a union
help us....not to sure. We need representation with a backbone and accountability.
We need to make people responsible for their actions.....like this Public Service rep
that sold us all out. Who was she.......and where is she now? Promoted !

Accountability is rare in the union world!
acerman
acerman1234
acerman1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Time to let the cat out of the bag - Page 2 Empty Re: Time to let the cat out of the bag

Post by bigrex Mon 17 Dec 2018, 07:40

We don't need a Union per say. What we need is a General with a set of testicles, to stand up and actually fight for the troops, as well as current and future veterans, instead of just letting the Politicians run roughshot with our benefits. For one thing, BPA, and VRAB, should not be part of VAC hierarchy. They should either fall under the control of DND, or the Justice department, to avoid even a perceived sense of loyalty to VAC, and the MVA, instead of the Veterans.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Mon 17 Dec 2018, 01:38

I was part of a union many years ago and it did not sit well with me since our representative and the Union Board sat on their collective butts and did NOTHING for their members. If we tried to write up a grievance, they told us to suck it up and that we should be thankful for having jobs during the recession. 

Currently, my 2 sons are members of the LIUNA and IAMAW unions in Ottawa. There are many complaints that are filed against construction companies and nothing gets done. My youngest son's grievance has stalled and he has been waiting 9 months for his union rep to resolve his night shift premium discrepancy. My eldest son's grievance under IAMAW was never resolved. So how will a Veterans' Union be any different? 

Just curious....
How would veterans resolve a large group grievance? Unions represent workers in labour organizations. At any given time, a union may reject a contract offer, the union can vote in favour of a job action and stike. The workers would all walk out and strike which would impact a negative result for management and the companies' holdings.  We can not just walk off the job and join a picket line. We can not disrupt institutional services like Canada Post or Primary, Secondary and Post-Secondary Educational Institiutions. We have nothing to hold "hostage" or to offer at the bargaining table. Negotiations can not take place because Veterans have nothing to negotiate with....
The government holds all the bargaining powers. VAC and the government will not bow down to public pressure. We can't hit them where it hurts$$$. So how would we be heard? 

Unions are only a powerful entity if they have something to hold "hostage" until an agreement can be reached. We can not force a workplace shut down. We have nothing to bargain with. 
Even if we all decided to partipate in a hunger stike, the government would still do nothing. 

All we can do is ask for VAC and the government is to take our grievances into consideration. 

Cheers, 
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Sun 16 Dec 2018, 21:16

a union is coming but no need for vets to pay union dues at least in full just active military will pay full dues . if you want a vote or say as a vet you may have to pay half dues if you choose . teager im getting just about everything but I would pay to have a vote . that's just me I get that . here is the thing when a union gets formed there will be many goals but first and foremost will be bringing the incoming PFL in line with the PA PFL . without negotiation . not trade offs no negotiation just a demand that's it that's all.it will be done by professionals with experience and success's with this and stuff .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Sun 16 Dec 2018, 20:18

Here's a question I have. Let's say you join the union you put your applications in to VAC and even if you don't get what you applied for the union goes to bat for you and gets you whatever benefits you were applying for. Ok great. I'm willing to bet tho now that that veteran has all the benefits they can get from VAC they have no use for the union but have to pay dues for the rest of there life. Eventually vets are gonna bitch and moan that there paying for stuff they don't use especially when the union increases the dues.

For me there's no reason to join. I'm already getting the most I can from VAC. So there's a ton of vets out there that have no reason to join since they are getting the most out of VAC already. Only ones wanting to join are the ones that are stuck in VACs system fighting.

Also if a union is going to pay legal fees for outside lawyers for vets I'm going to assume dues are going to be expensive.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Time to let the cat out of the bag - Page 2 Empty Time to let the cat out of the bag

Post by Supremedebater Sun 16 Dec 2018, 12:55

If you build it, they will come

Last edited by Supremedebater on Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:03; edited 1 time in total

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2016-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2