Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Disability fractions

Go down

Disability fractions Empty Disability fractions

Post by Guest on Sun 23 Dec 2018, 18:38

If someone says that Vac has rated them 5/5 disability for ptsd , is that like saying they are 100% ... is that number even possible regarding a mental issue .? I mean l can understand a limb being 100% gone...but a mind.?

Back to top Go down

Disability fractions Empty Re: Disability fractions

Post by Steelgunner on Sun 23 Dec 2018, 18:51

Artie Simm wrote:If someone says that Vac has rated them 5/5 disability for ptsd , is that like saying they are 100% ... is that number even possible regarding a mental issue .? I mean l can understand a limb being 100% gone...but a mind.?

Full Entitlement (5/5)

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2017-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by sports1977 on Sun 23 Dec 2018, 19:37

It's means they take 100% responsibility for your PTSD. Then they give you a percentage on how it affect your Quality of Life and so on.

so if you get 10% for example 5/5 of 10% is 10%, Now for an example if they Entitle you 4/5 of 10% you would only get 8% Monetary due to being 4/5.

sports1977
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 23 Dec 2018, 21:57

sports1977 wrote:It's means they take 100% responsibility for your PTSD. Then they give you a percentage on how it affect your Quality of Life and so on.

so if you get 10% for example 5/5 of 10% is 10%, Now for an example if they Entitle you 4/5 of 10% you would only get 8% Monetary due to being 4/5.

thx, so if they are taking full responsibility and then assigning the ptsd A % , and also declaring that vet DEC , then that % would have to be ?%

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 24 Dec 2018, 08:04

Artie Simm wrote:If someone says that Vac has rated them 5/5 disability for ptsd , is that like saying they are 100% ... is that number even possible regarding a mental issue .? I mean l can understand a limb being 100% gone...but a mind.?

No 5/5ths is VAC saying your disability is totally a result of service, anything less than that is a partial entitlement and separate from you % (medical impairment rating).

And remember you are not a doctor or healthcare professional, so whether or not you can understand someone with 100% PTSD at 5/5ths is neither here nor there. You'd do well to concern yourself with your own disabilities, rather than other people's.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 24 Dec 2018, 11:19

Bruce72 wrote:

No 5/5ths is VAC saying your disability is totally a result of service, anything less than that is a partial entitlement and separate from you % (medical impairment rating).

And remember you are not a doctor or healthcare professional, so whether or not you can understand someone with 100% PTSD at 5/5ths is neither here nor there. You'd do well to concern yourself with your own disabilities, rather than other people's.

these are my own disabilities

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman on Mon 24 Dec 2018, 15:16

Here’s an example
A disability assessment could be 35%, with a quality of life adjustment of say 4% for a total of 39%

If you are rated 5/5, that means it is 100% related to military service, therefore your Dissability percentage is 39%. (Which does get rounded up to 40)

If you are rated 4/5, that means it is not 100% related to military service, and there are other factors. In that case, your percentage is 39 * 4/5 or 31%. (31 * .80).
In this case your disability percentage is actually 31% (which gets rounded to 30)

It used to go down as low as 1/5, or 20%, but I think that recently changed. E.g. 1/5 would end up being 8% disability

Last edited by Iceman on Mon 24 Dec 2018, 15:22; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 25 Dec 2018, 09:17

Artie Simm wrote:
Bruce72 wrote:

Artie, I probably shouldn't call you out on Xmas. However, you say on one hand your CM dismiss' your disabilities and you have been denied CIA.

Then you say you have PTSD and a missing limb from service.

Guaranteed, VAC would not kick you to the curb if that was the case.

I'd lay my balls on a chopping block in a bet that VAC would not ignore you under those circumstances.

I'm sorry man after reading and responding to much of what you have said lately, I can't help but wonder what the fuck is really going here.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 25 Dec 2018, 20:13

No, entitlement (5/5), is different than the actual disability assessment (percentage). Entitlement determines how much the CF will take accountability for your disability, and the assessment determines the level of disability, based on recorded symptoms.  So even if someone is assessed at 100%, but their entitlement is only 1/5, then the pension would be 20%. Or a Veteran with a 20% assessment, is given a full 5/5 entitlement, then their would also be paid at 20%.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3912
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Dec 2018, 01:47

Bruce72 wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
Bruce72 wrote:

Artie, I probably shouldn't call you out on Xmas. However, you say on one hand your CM dismiss' your disabilities and you have been denied CIA.

Then you say you have PTSD and a missing limb from service.

Guaranteed, VAC would not kick you to the curb if that was the case.

I'd lay my balls on a chopping block in a bet that VAC would not ignore you under those circumstances.

I'm sorry man after reading and responding to much of what you have said lately, I can't help but wonder what the fuck is really going here.
you’re confusing the issues, I’ve said my CM does not respond to my concerns ( I’ve got questions on that myvac site that are a month old when it says 1 -5 days, I’d visit or call the vac office, but I’m not allowed) not my CM “dismisses my disabilities”.Ive said that I have CIA ,but was denied an upgrade. l have PTSD, l was just wondering how they arrive at a 100%, my comparison was that I can understand if they say a limb is 100% gone, but not a mind,I feel fine, I guess it’s possible to say too much to a psychiatrist.  not that I’m missing a limb, though one is damaged beyond repairy.but I don’t know what you are insinuating, all I know is sites like this are supposed to bring veterans together ,to let them see that they are not alone, by reading about others situations, I’ve never once “called anyone out” here, just asked my stupid questions in a hope to better understand my situation and the workings of VAC. If you don’t have to respond to my questions, you can ignore them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Dec 2018, 09:54

Artie, if I am confusing the issues then my apologies. And you are right, I don't need to respond to your questions.

A word of caution. In the future, when pondering why someone might be 100% PTSD at 5/5ths. When questioning that here and publicly with doubt that it could be a fact for someone, you risk stigmatizing them and possibly shaming them, even if only in their own mind.

I'm 66% for PTSD at 4/5, why only 4/5? Because I suffered trauma before I served, and I was honest about it during my assessment.

And since serving, was in Kathmandu, Nepal during the earthquake April 25, 2015 which just about finished me off mentally and I was honest with VAC about that too. I've never hid a single detail from VAC about my life.

My closest friend, who I grew up with and who is also a veteran is 78% at 5/5ths, for reasons I will not share.

My point is concerning yourself with why other vets are where they are in the system is fine. Please choose your words wisely.

Again, I'm sorry for being a dick.

Happy New Year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Dec 2018, 10:44

Bruce72 wrote:Artie, if I am confusing the issues then my apologies. And you are right, I don't need to respond to your questions.

A word of caution. In the future, when pondering why someone might be 100% PTSD at 5/5ths. When questioning that here and publicly with doubt that it could be a fact for someone, you risk stigmatizing them and possibly shaming them, even if only in their own mind.

I'm 66% for PTSD at 4/5, why only 4/5? Because I suffered trauma before I served, and I was honest about it during my assessment.

And since serving, was in Kathmandu, Nepal during the earthquake April 25, 2015 which just about finished me off mentally and I was honest with VAC about that too. I've never hid a single detail from VAC about my life.

My closest friend, who I grew up with and who is also a veteran is 78% at 5/5ths, for reasons I will not share.

My point is concerning yourself with why other vets are where they are in the system is fine. Please choose your words wisely.

Again, I'm sorry for being a dick.

Happy New Year.
the thing is, I’m a very private person and I suppose most people here are, i don’t feel comfortable writing out my entire situation for strangers to critique, so in most case I use hypothetical scenarios, I use a lot of “if s”, but I’m not necessarily talking about myself or anyone else, or that the person or situation even exist. I might say “ if a vet was raped in Cornwallis and never came forward....”, I’m not hoping that someone else is going to read it and think “ omg , this soldier was sexually assaulted in basic training”, I’m just round about asking  the answer to a question without revealing too much ie, the real situation may have been that a pte. Was physically struck by a superior and never reported it at the time, etc. Maybe you felt the 100% disability question was a slight at you and/or your friend when in actuality it is about myself, as my psychiatrist wants to write me off mentally, but l am disagreeing with her assessment

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 26 Dec 2018, 12:15

Artie, it's just that you keep asking the same questions over and over again, and are just not understanding what is being explained to you. I'm sure it's not your fault, but if it frustrates the members of this site, who are dedicated to helping other Veterans, I'm positive that it would only infuriates a VAC employee, who probably only gives a rat's ass about actually helping Veterans, as long as they keep getting their cushy government paycheque.

I would suggest that, if possible, that you should stop worrying about your benefits right now. You've done everything that is possible, for now. You have all the applications in, so everything beyond that is out of your control, whether or not, you understand the process.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3912
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum