Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PFL Lump Sum

+8
johnny211
AirLog
Rifleman
sports1977
bigrex
Armygunner
EZRider
Supremedebater
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PFL Lump Sum Empty Re: PFL Lump Sum

Post by Armygunner Sun 10 Feb 2019, 15:03

I'm sure that once the Libs feel the wrath of Vets post 1 April 19 and the new PFL kicks; the Libs will Sweetin the PFL for votes. The Cons will do the same. The Veteran voice and votes in a Federal election are huge, PM Harper can contest to our voice in the 2015 election.

Armygunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Sun 10 Feb 2019, 08:32

iceman agreed that's just how it is.

bigrex yes buds the pain and suffering benefit of today should equal that of 2005 .

bosn well buds that is news to me about the cons . athough not perfect it would be a start . certainly would help out a lot of afghan vets .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Fri 08 Feb 2019, 13:58

will wait and see what happens the cons say if they get in they will give us what we signed up for so if that happens then we will have to wait and see how they spin it and find ways not to pay it or to give survivors benefits. Only time can tell but i can say from when i got out just after new system was put in place i have kept seeing new improved things happen and i know we not there yet but i hope to live long enough to see it improved to the point most are happy with seeing you can't make us all happy but hoping to see 99% of happy. This should not be a serve and beg for what we signed up for but politics get involved while sitting behind a fancy desk and make choices that screw us while our brothers and sisters give all to make it possible for them to sit there.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 07 Feb 2019, 21:01

I agree that there won't be an option to get a second lump sum, but it's a slap in the face, to force a Veteran to accept a pension that may reduced so low, due to the clawback, that it won't even pay for a dinner and a movie. So, I am hoping that one of the parties, promises to improve the PFL, as part of the next election. I would like to see them increase the PFL amounts, so that it at least mirrors the PA pension of a single a single Veteran, and either eliminate, or reduces the clawback, so that every NVC veteran can get at least 50% of the PFL they are owed.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu 07 Feb 2019, 13:52

Everyone is talking about the option of wanting a lump sum for the PFL monthly difference payments on awards already granted prior to april

The way i read and understand it, I really don't see where the confusion is, there IS and should be no option for a lump sum repayment of the PFL monthly payments on previous awards

unless i am totally out of the ball park, this is the way i read it

After April 1if someone gets a pension award, they have a choice of a lump sum or payment.
if they take the lump sum, they only get the lump sum value and will never get another monthly payment

for example, lets say an award is granted for 10%
After April 1, you have a choice of a 1 time payment of 36,000 OR monthly payments of 115.00.  The max you will receive as a lump sum is 36,000.
it would take 313 months at 115.00 until the monthly payment exceeds the 36,000  (26 years).  if you figure you won't live another 26 years take the lump sum

now.... for those of us that that were given awards prior to april 1, we did not have a choice we had to take the lump sum...
what they are saying is that they will pay the monthly amount(as if we did choose to not receive the lump sum), Less the prorated amount we already received.

realistically, we are getting more than someone post april 1.  They are getting even more #!@# over.

let's say your decision date is march 31,2019.  take the lump sum, don't delay... THEN technically, you also have the choice to take the difference in monthly payments (even though it might be very small)

someone with a decision date >= April 1, won't ever get a monthly difference payment if they take the lump sum.

with that in mind.... i bet someone has already figured that out and I highly doubt anyone will see any decisions between now and april 1.

As well, just for information purposes i did a quick calculation, the monthly payments are actually less than the interest that would be earned on a 2% investment. For everyone that takes the monthly payment after April 1, the government just saved having any sort of a real payout. but that is only is someone did truly invest the lump sum, and is diligent about only getting the interest,  I know i wouldn't be able to, i'd get a new truck or boat Smile

Last edited by Iceman on Thu 07 Feb 2019, 15:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Thu 07 Feb 2019, 09:10

This thread has gone from discussing the PFL to discussing advocates, so I will chime in as well. I have witnessed some so-called advocates who have an agenda all of their own, (wolves in sheep's clothing) but they make it look like they are for veterans when they are truly for themselves.....oh I have to go fishing to recharge my batteries or some from Banished Veterans all they do is bash everything/everyone. There is a reason why, when Mike Blais asks people to contact/email the Prime Minister that only a small group does (well IMO). There are quite a number of advocate groups and almost every group wants veterans to make their voice heard. Although those intentions are good....I believe it serves very little....too many small voices complaining or expressing their views about everything. We can only look like we have no clue what we want, no direction and too many chiefs! It's like charities.....how many have helped one or two charities vs say every charity that knocks on yr door; you're going to pick and choose who you support, the one's that seem the most legit. There are some advocate sites that won't let you start yr own thread, they control the subject/topic and I disagree with it....it is censorship....dictating.....as to what they want to see or not. This site... VVI is (IMO) the most neutral friendly of them all. Great support, great advice and awesome reference material.....all with no ulterior motive or agenda......strictly veteran support! Thank you! As for the PFL, I believe not having the option of a Lump Sum (for those who previously received an award) is so the government can better plan financially and not having to put out hundreds of thousands/millions all at once (ya I know they can afford to give millions away to other countries or blow millions because they have no clue how their own procurement/tender polices work). Hopefully the new MVA will change the stigma and it would be nice to see Uncle Walt come out from behind the curtain instead of hiding all the time. He has been around long enough, high time he does some good!
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Wed 06 Feb 2019, 19:41

Bigrex - Yr bang on Brother. I respect what these 2 do to help all Vets. But I find it is our Brothers and Sisters on here who have been the hero’s in helping others who are bogged down by the process.
I’ve pretty well had it with politicians, that change every 6 mths too a Yr. And they all promise us Vets the moon when looking for our vote, but then toss us aside when there getting their big paycheque. We are the ones who got injured, and where willing to die for this Country. We are the ones who have witnessed stuff we will never unsee.
And just look how stakeholder mtgs go. Just sit there, listen to us spew, and keep Yr mouth shut.
This site, and my OSSIS gp have literally saved my life. 6 yrs ago, I had no clue on the DVA process. So Tks Bigrex, And others on here. We don’t look for fame, pics in papers, we just help and quide our Comrades on here. Johnnys rant,,Out..VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Wed 06 Feb 2019, 11:28

Thanks Bigrex. This site does provide invaluable service to the average veteran without all the politics.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 06 Feb 2019, 10:23

There is a difference between knowing and respecting them for what they have done, and supporting them financially. We only know about Mike and Sean, because every time there is something in the news about Veterans, at least one of them is front and centre on the evening news. But there are dozens of Veterans advocates, that prefer to stay out of the limelight, who do it, because it's the right thing to do, and can't be accused of seeking glory, or doing it for some financial gain.

And the fact that you deleted your account over this, leads me to believe that you were actually one of these individuals, or someone very close to one of them, and not just a casual supporter. Because someone who truly valued and appreciated the work that this site has done, all without needing to seek donations, and not just here to promote somebody else's agenda, and boost their donations, wouldn't delete their account, at the first sign of disagreement.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Feb 2019, 07:53

I encourage the people reading this to review what Sean Bruyea and Micheal Blais have done over the last 17-20 yrs.

http://www.seanbruyea.com/
https://www.canadianveteransadvocacy.com/directors-mblais.html

I will leave this discussion on this point.

I was just hoping to encourage a bit of support.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 06 Feb 2019, 07:26

Well, then he should have looked at starting a class action lawsuit, where the lawyers would not take any payment until afterwards, like they did with both the SISIP and ELB lawsuits, In fact, he may not even be allowed to sue over the breaches, even as a named representative, of a class, because he has already been compensated for the breaches to his file. So I'm sure there is some law, that prevents a person from suing the government twice, for the same thing.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Feb 2019, 22:54

His law suit was for 6000++++ breaches of privacy by every tom dick and harry in VAC. He is not rich man. Nevertheless, these two men gave lots and still do to help current vets with little if nothing to gain except  to attempt to improve the lives of disabled vet.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 05 Feb 2019, 21:39

Yes, but considering the average LSA, is only 15%, which is now $52000, regardless of where they live. So what Sean got was still 4 to 8 times higher. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Sean, and the work he has done, but that doesn't mean that Veterans should feel obligated to donate to him, for a proposed lawsuit
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Feb 2019, 19:44

Well Bruyea got between 200- 400 grand in the law suit but living in Ottawa that is a small town house! Sean has done more for the young veterans with his strong supportive voice/writings without the help of the legion.
Mike Blais has given his mental health and total devotion to supporting the injured young men and women of the CAF.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Tue 05 Feb 2019, 17:29

Yep you hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph Bigrex

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content