Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PFL “The dust is settling”

+4
Sailor63
propat
MikeCeeGB
bigrex
8 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” - Page 3 Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by bigrex Wed 03 Apr 2019, 13:10

At first I thought that getting the CIAS restricted you from getting the extra 1%, but the wording had me confused. but it looks like the the only way that NVC Veterans could get the 1% increases, is to have been getting the CIAS.

the monthly amount of IRB payable will be determined with the additional following provision:i.Pursuant to subsection 99(2) of the new Act, if the physical or mental health problem in respect of which the Veteran is deemed to be entitled to the IRB under (b) above did not result primarily from servicein the CAF and aCIA Supplement was not payable to the Veteran under subsection 38(3) of the former Act on March 31, 2019, then the monthly amount of the IRB that is payable to the Veteran under section 18 of the new Act is determined without any periodic adjustment in accordance with a career progression factor.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” - Page 3 Empty CIA Sup

Post by Sailor63 Wed 03 Apr 2019, 13:02

How I read the CIA Sup is this will continue to be indexed - as well as being protected post 65. In so far as the 1%, it’s a little ambiguous-but my take is you will get indexed on Sup and won’t get the 1%. You will continue to be indexed on your other benefits . I would be surprised that those getting Sup would get both...but...for those that may be concerned - I would pose the question to VAC. I don’t expect the 1% till age 60/20 Years service, given I get the Sup and it is indexed.

Sailor63
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2018-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2019, 12:41

Sailor63 wrote:See Q11 re: cia Sup being protected.  Will not reduce at 65.  https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/pension-for-life/q-and-a#a5

Sorry, I don't see it.

If I am receiving the CIA Supplement and it is rolled into the new Income Replacement Benefit, do I automatically receive the 1% career progression after the first year (in 2020)?
As of April 1, 2019, the Department will automatically move Veterans entitled to Earnings Loss Benefit (ELB) and Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB) over to the Income Replacement Benefit (IRB). Career Impact Allowance (CIA) Supplement amounts will be protected on coming into force and will be indexed.

A Veteran receiving IRB has their benefit calculated based on 90% of their pre-release salary, indexed annually for inflation. They receive this while pursuing rehabilitation services. If a Veteran is ultimately determined to have a diminished earning capacity and requires income support indefinitely, they receive the 1% career progression factor applied to their monthly military salary at release, every year until the Veteran reaches what would have been 20 years of service or age 60.

The adjusted military salary with career progression will be used for the IRB calculation starting the month in which VAC determines that the Veteran will receive the IRB for life

Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” - Page 3 Empty CIA Sup Post 65

Post by Sailor63 Wed 03 Apr 2019, 12:39

Sorry folks-not very technically literate -so this post may appear more than once-but someone posted a concern CIA Sup would reduce at 65...if you check Q11 in this factsheet, it states the amount is protected upon coming into force.
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/pension-for-life/q-and-a#a5

Sailor63
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sailor63 Wed 03 Apr 2019, 12:35

See Q11 re: cia Sup being protected. Will not reduce at 65. https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/pension-for-life/q-and-a#a5

Sailor63
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2019, 12:29

bigrex wrote:Steelgunner, it's because the ELB ended at age 65, and the RISB would kick in. But since the IRB is for life, it doesn't have a set date. So personally, I would be more worried if there was an end date listed. lol

Exactly. And the reason on the tax free benefits side of things it show a spot says "Expiry Date", but is blank, is because the APSC can be cancelled or reduced if a veterans overall situation improves. But under the new policies it says you would have to improve to the point you "had no barriers" for that to happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 03 Apr 2019, 12:21

Steelgunner, it's because the ELB ended at age 65, and the RISB would kick in. But since the IRB is for life, it doesn't have a set date. So personally, I would be more worried if there was an end date listed. lol
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sailor63 Wed 03 Apr 2019, 12:14

If you look at the Fact Sheet Q11 on the attached, you will see the CIA Sup Amount Protected upon coming into force. It will not reduce at 65 if it is protected.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/pension-for-life/q-and-a#a5

Sailor63
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2019, 11:51

Steelgunner wrote:I noticed on my screen shot that before I had certain benefits till 65.  Now with the new benefits I don’t see any date it’s good till.  What’s up with that?

Seeing others respond to this thread and talk about lost benefits down the road is starting to sink in.  They gave us a bit of money to think, gee it’s not that bad.  Where it effects the Veterans the most is down the road as a Future Veteran.
no dates means more hoops
I don't care anymore, personally i just want left alone been through enough shit for this here Canikistan...

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 03 Apr 2019, 11:38

I don't know what to tell you, because the only way that your ELB could be decreased, is if you started getting other money. So VAC may have used government channels to find out how much your CPP(D) is going to be, so they could do their calculations.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2019, 10:33

bigrex wrote:like you said, it might have something to do with being approved CPP(D). How much are you getting from that?
nothing has gone through yet other than that l got a letter from the gov. Informing me that I am now CPPD, so l phoned the mil. Pension people and informed them, they asked for a copy of the letter by snail mail, so I haven’t even gotten a first monthly payment from CPPD yet, nor do I know how my previous mil. Pen will be effected. Then apparently after that gets sorted out , my ELB payment is effected too, this is all new territory for me

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Wed 03 Apr 2019, 10:31

mike got her right . its a bit of a push . some will be a little better off some not so much but no big losers with one exception . every soldier and veteran that becomes disabled from here on in . they loose big . no CIAS no SRB .

THAT JUST PLAIN SUCKS

JMO

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 03 Apr 2019, 10:07

like you said, it might have something to do with being approved CPP(D). How much are you getting from that?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2019, 10:01

I noticed on my screen shot that before I had certain benefits till 65.  Now with the new benefits I don’t see any date it’s good till.  What’s up with that?

Seeing others respond to this thread and talk about lost benefits down the road is starting to sink in.  They gave us a bit of money to think, gee it’s not that bad.  Where it effects the Veterans the most is down the road as a Future Veteran.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2019, 09:25

Wildthing wrote:Sleeping dog screen shot your my vac account minus personal info and PM it to big rex or myself and i will get the wife who is an accountant to review it. If your comfortable with doing that.
my wife handles all this stuff normally, when I can log on I will send you the #. NEVER MIND as usual , after the smoke clears Bigrex is right, it looks like I`ll be up $50 a month, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum