Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation vs Career Impact Allowance

+3
Iceman
bigrex
MikeCeeGB
7 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation vs Career Impact Allowance - Page 3 Empty Re: Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation vs Career Impact Allowance

Post by Iceman Thu 15 Aug 2019, 11:34

i went into myVac, and noticed that in the track my application section, the date of application for my APSC application now says March 31 instead of April 1 (it is however still sitting at step 1). I'm sure it said april 1st last week

would this mean they would apply CIA criteria or APSC criteria?

any ideas why it would have been changed, and what the impact would be (negative or positive)
the actual submitted form shows a date of april 2

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation vs Career Impact Allowance - Page 3 Empty Re: Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation vs Career Impact Allowance

Post by bigrex Sat 06 Jul 2019, 13:40

CIA and APSC, are basically the same thing. They just they made the APSC tax free. ADLs are only part of the criteria. it also includes amputations, blindness, hearing loss, severe mental illness, etc.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 04 Jul 2019, 15:03

bigrex wrote:
derngt wrote:
bigrex wrote:Under the CIA, there was two ways to get the benefit. One was to meet the disability criteria, or to have severe effects on ADL's. And the other way was being deemed DEC, even if it only meant being limited to working part time. But under the APSC, they have removed the eligibility for being DEC, so it will likely block tens of thousands of future Veterans, from qualifying for the benefit, in the future. The CIA was very restrictive for the first several years, and they had opened it up quite a bit, but IMO, this is a huge step backwards.

I got my APSC in March and I wasnt DEC
You do not need to be DEC to get APSC, as long as you meet the medical criteria.
if you are receiving any level of CIA , can you still apply for APSC? When you say the veteran must meet the medical criteria for APSC are you referring to the ADLs .?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Tue 25 Jun 2019, 09:46

Home wrote:

In March? Please explain the details?

I deleted my responses..read it wrong..Cheers

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 20 May 2019, 18:40

johnny211 wrote:Unknown Soldier - That’s a tough ? To answer. VA will look at all of a Vets mental and physical disabilities, to see where they fit into the ADL,s and at what level. It could involve doing more assessments or a home visit by a nurse or OT hired by VAC. VVV...
I’m just playing devils advocate, but a veteran could be diagnosed as “ psychotic” but still be able to feed,bath,dress themselves etc.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 20 May 2019, 18:11

derngt wrote:
bigrex wrote:Under the CIA, there was two ways to get the benefit. One was to meet the disability criteria, or to have severe effects on ADL's. And the other way was being deemed DEC, even if it only meant being limited to working part time. But under the APSC, they have removed the eligibility for being DEC, so it will likely block tens of thousands of future Veterans, from qualifying for the benefit, in the future. The CIA was very restrictive for the first several years, and they had opened it up quite a bit, but IMO, this is a huge step backwards.

I got my APSC in March and I wasnt DEC
You do not need to be DEC to get APSC, as long as you meet the medical criteria.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 20 May 2019, 13:59

Unknown Soldier - That’s a tough ? To answer. VA will look at all of a Vets mental and physical disabilities, to see where they fit into the ADL,s and at what level. It could involve doing more assessments or a home visit by a nurse or OT hired by VAC. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 20 May 2019, 12:56

johnny211 wrote:Iceman - Good ?. I found the policy a couple of wks ago, but lost it. It all depends on where one fits into the ADL,s for levels 1-3. I was at level 3, and a couple of wks ago put in a departmental review due to new evidence, to move up levels. It’s all a crap shoot, and I’m not sure I will move. But will advise of there reply. The old policy also had yrs served in there. I don’t recall seeing this in the new policy.
 Maybe Bigrex or others up on the policy can chime in..VVV...
What about veterans who are way up there on the disability % , I.e. close to 100% but can still complete most if not all of the ADL’s, where would they fall in an Additional Pain and Suffering application.?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 May 2019, 10:06

In March? Please explain the details?

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Mon 20 May 2019, 09:40

Last edited by derngt on Tue 25 Jun 2019, 09:45; edited 1 time in total

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 15 Apr 2019, 10:15

Under the CIA, there was two ways to get the benefit. One was to meet the disability criteria, or to have severe effects on ADL's. And the other way was being deemed DEC, even if it only meant being limited to working part time. But under the APSC, they have removed the eligibility for being DEC, so it will likely block tens of thousands of future Veterans, from qualifying for the benefit, in the future. The CIA was very restrictive for the first several years, and they had opened it up quite a bit, but IMO, this is a huge step backwards.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon 15 Apr 2019, 09:39

What I was really asking, is from anyone that has gone through the process with CIA, whether there were any differences they could think of regarding eligibility.

As well, if they thought there would be more or less denials.

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Apr 2019, 08:28

bigrex wrote:Sleeping Dog. I'm not sure what chart you were looking at, but your disability assessment does not have a direct bearing on the CIA/APSC level, otherwise everyone at 100%, would automatically be getting maximum amount, but they are not. A Veteran could have several different claims, but each one could be causing only a mild disability, and with no accumulation of effects. Then you could have another Veteran with only a few approved claims, but each one is moderate to severe, and when looked at, as a whole, causing more complications than any one single claim.
I'm not very good at up loading things, I guess what I was looking at is on the vac website , I guess I should have scrolled down because after 80% it shows 100% and $1150 monthly, so I guess that's where they came up with the # for the pfl. It used to be called the disability awards table but they inserted a column between the % and the lump sum paid out.its now called pain and suffering compensation rate table

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 14 Apr 2019, 07:03

Sleeping Dog. I'm not sure what chart you were looking at, but your disability assessment does not have a direct bearing on the CIA/APSC level, otherwise everyone at 100%, would automatically be getting maximum amount, but they are not. A Veteran could have several different claims, but each one could be causing only a mild disability, and with no accumulation of effects. Then you could have another Veteran with only a few approved claims, but each one is moderate to severe, and when looked at, as a whole, causing more complications than any one single claim.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Apr 2019, 22:24

I was looking at this new pain and suffering chart at it shows that if a vet was 60% disabled they receive $690 a month, there are other % as well, so does this mean that if that vet was awarded another claim for 20%, they would now move into the $920 a month catergory as there disabilities add up to 80% on that chart, is that how it works.?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next