Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CIAS AND THE IRB

+2
bigrex
derngt
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CIAS AND THE IRB Empty Re: CIAS AND THE IRB

Post by derngt Wed 14 Aug 2019, 19:31

Teager wrote:Seems they keep old benefits with old benefits and new benefits with the new ones and don't combine them for whatever reason.

Both my CM and I were under the impression if you applied for CIAS before Apr 1 it would fall under the NVA and kept separate...Will keep you all informed when I get answers....

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Wed 14 Aug 2019, 14:27

Seems they keep old benefits with old benefits and new benefits with the new ones and don't combine them for whatever reason.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 14 Aug 2019, 10:06

Teager wrote:So if you were on IRB and we're just approved for CIAS the reason you might have less is because the IRB is worth more than the old ELB. They will calculate your protected ELB amount with CIAS and compare that to IRB amount with the 1% added if you qualify. They then take whichever is higher. So in my case the IRB was more than my ELB but it came out to more with CIAS added to the ELB.

I kind of understand what you are saying and figured something like that...My LTD was 887 before April 1..The CIAS was approved based on the old system..Why would they not just add the CIAS to the LTD/IRB...

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Wed 14 Aug 2019, 09:57

So if you were on IRB and we're just approved for CIAS the reason you might have less is because the IRB is worth more than the old ELB. They will calculate your protected ELB amount with CIAS and compare that to IRB amount with the 1% added if you qualify. They then take whichever is higher. So in my case the IRB was more than my ELB but it came out to more with CIAS added to the ELB.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 14 Aug 2019, 09:35

Gunner8 wrote:Derngt, I’m confused with the CIAS as well. When they added it to my IRB, after taxes I only get about a extra $300. It makes no sense. I haven’t see the papers yet as I’m away from home and haven’t got the mail, but these numbers don’t add up.

Gunner

Same same for me as well..My original IRB was $887.65 now it is $1,580.69 after tax of $136.71 taken off...So I am short about $370.00 with no explanation....

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Tue 13 Aug 2019, 15:00

Derngt, I’m confused with the CIAS as well. When they added it to my IRB, after taxes I only get about a extra $300. It makes no sense. I haven’t see the papers yet as I’m away from home and haven’t got the mail, but these numbers don’t add up.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Aug 2019, 13:55

derngt wrote:
Justagrrl wrote:Did anyone else get a call yesterday asking if they had any questions wrt to the letters that were sent out in APRIL and the changes to the CIA?

I hope I get a call...The CIA level increase I got made perfect sense..However, the calculation for the CIAS is out to lunch..As stated earlier my CM couldnt figure it out..All the calculations are incorporated into the new IRB..They do not mention the CIAS anywhere on the calculation sheet...

I just found it a little "off".  If I had questions about a letter they sent me in April, I'm pretty sure I would have called in April...no?

Last edited by Justagrrl on Tue 13 Aug 2019, 20:37; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Tue 13 Aug 2019, 13:30

Justagrrl wrote:Did anyone else get a call yesterday asking if they had any questions wrt to the letters that were sent out in APRIL and the changes to the CIA?

I hope I get a call...The CIA level increase I got made perfect sense..However, the calculation for the CIAS is out to lunch..As stated earlier my CM couldnt figure it out..All the calculations are incorporated into the new IRB..They do not mention the CIAS anywhere on the calculation sheet...

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Tue 13 Aug 2019, 13:16

Ppclicaper wrote:I was talking to the call Center .. they have no clue how out of 1145$ CIAS equates to only a 500$ increase to my IRB..not sure if  60%  tax has evolved yet .. just kidding ...but withholds on IRB only increased by 200-250$ for IRB deductions . So they also agreed and no answer to where 400$ went and they contacted my Cm.. after the call I also messaged my CM .. so just waiting.

Update
CM stated she will look into it Monday.
Cheers and have a great weekend

Any update on the missing money..My CM is still looking into it..I am curious why we both are not getting the full CIAS,,,Plus they owe me money when I lost the bridge portion when I started CPPD..Hopefully soon...Its money in the bank regardless when I get it,,,,

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

CIAS AND THE IRB Empty JUST CURIOUS...

Post by Guest Tue 13 Aug 2019, 12:53

Did anyone else get a call yesterday asking if they had any questions wrt to the letters that were sent out in APRIL and the changes to the CIA?

Back to top Go down

CIAS AND THE IRB Empty CIAS APPLICATION still pending

Post by SDSNJF Mon 12 Aug 2019, 17:04

Oh my sweet baby ducks. March 18th our application was submitted.....it's still no where to be found. Called VAC last week, "Sorry but it will completed when out gets looked at".

How the heck is this acceptable, there is no good reason to their calculated outcomes and answers. It's like they roll a dice each morning to decide what pile to pick from.

Biggest pile of BS I have ever witnessed!

SDSNJF
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2019-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Sat 20 Jul 2019, 18:11

Ppclicaper wrote:I was talking to the call Center .. they have no clue how out of 1145$ CIAS equates to only a 500$ increase to my IRB..not sure if  60%  tax has evolved yet .. just kidding ...but withholds on IRB only increased by 200-250$ for IRB deductions . So they also agreed and no answer to where 400$ went and they contacted my Cm.. after the call I also messaged my CM .. so just waiting.

Update

I THINK I JUST DISCOVERED THE PROBLEM...On my new calculation sheet they use $6606.00 as my protected amount..If I take 90% of that amount my calculations are within $50.00.....

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ppclicaper Fri 19 Jul 2019, 13:23

I was talking to the call Center .. they have no clue how out of 1145$ CIAS equates to only a 500$ increase to my IRB..not sure if 60% tax has evolved yet .. just kidding ...but withholds on IRB only increased by 200-250$ for IRB deductions . So they also agreed and no answer to where 400$ went and they contacted my Cm.. after the call I also messaged my CM .. so just waiting.

Update

Ppclicaper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2019-05-10

Back to top Go down

CIAS AND THE IRB Empty More math

Post by derngt Fri 19 Jul 2019, 11:42

bigrex wrote:It's likely because of taxes. I already had ELB and CIAS, but my overall deposit still increased by over $200, in April. Because when the CIA was removed from tax calculations, I ended up paying less taxes for those other amounts. So adding large amounts to the calculations, would also increase the tax burdon

As I mentioned earlier I was granted an increase to the Additional Pain and Suffering once I became DEC..I went from level 3 to Level 2..I can understand the decision letter.  I am having trouble figuring out the IRB and my recent approval for CIAS..Someone smarter maybe able to explain..Its only for peace of mind.  I did discover one problem with the IRB calculation..They used my old Military pension statement rather than the new one I submitted.  I lost the bridge benefit so my IRB should be approx $300.00 more..
Here is the following calculation for my IRB on April 1
Applicable military salary:  (Indexed and adjusted by the career progression factor to April 2019) $6,418.06
The IRB amount you are eligible to receive( 90%) protected                                         $5776.25
                                                          Offsets: CFSA:      $1572.52
                                                                CPPD:     $1199.90
                                                                       Other LtD:$2116.18
                     Protected amount minus offsets($5776.25  minus  $ 4888.60)=     IRB AMOUNT   $887.65

Recent Calculation with the new CIAS added
Gross Monthly IRB amount:90% protected $6606.00
                  Offsets: CFSA:     $1572.52
                      CPPD:     $1199.
                  Other LtD: $2116.18
                         Tax: $136.71
Protected amount minus offsets($6606.00minus  $ 5025.31)= THIS IS MY NEW IRB AMOUNT WITH THE CIAS APPROVAL $1580.69  

So if they would of added the CIAS amount of S1145.37 to my old IRB amount I thought I would be getting  $2033.00 before taxes of EStimate $200.00..Therefore I am short arount $250.00.  I know that amount is somewhere..I am just curious were...I am very happy with the outcome..Thanks again

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 17 Jul 2019, 08:01

It's likely because of taxes. I already had ELB and CIAS, but my overall deposit still increased by over $200, in April. Because when the CIA was removed from tax calculations, I ended up paying less taxes for those other amounts. So adding large amounts to the calculations, would also increase the tax burdon
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: