Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PSC tax free lump sum and child support?

3 posters

Go down

PSC tax free lump sum and child support? Empty Pension and Child Support

Post by Elizabeth1995 Sat 07 Nov 2020, 09:48

I am wondering how this worked out. Did your child support expectations increase because of a PNS claim? Did you have any case law to support this?

TIA

Elizabeth1995
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2020-11-07

Back to top Go down

PSC tax free lump sum and child support? Empty Re: PSC tax free lump sum and child support?

Post by Ppclicaper Fri 06 Sep 2019, 11:24

I would honestly report it .. would rather that .. than appear in court saying I recieved ( random amount ) xxx,xxx and explain why you did not . Like always when it seems the right thing to do ..99% of the time it is .. take care and congratulations on the settlement.

Ppclicaper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2019-05-10

Back to top Go down

PSC tax free lump sum and child support? Empty Re: PSC tax free lump sum and child support?

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2019, 19:12

snipsfan wrote:I have just received a favourable decision in regards to my pain and suffering compensation.
I have the choice to take a monthly amount for rest of my life or a 1x tax free lump sum payment.

my question is- if I was to take the 1x tax free lump sum payment will this affect my child support payments?

just curious if anyone else has gone through this situation and what the outcome was.

thank you

I am not a lawyer but I think there is a legal responsibility for you to report your change of income due to taxed or non taxable.  There is certainly a moral issue that is up to the individual.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/fact2-fiches2.html

Seems you have an Initial disclosure obligation and a Continuing disclosure obligation.

Back to top Go down

PSC tax free lump sum and child support? Empty PSC tax free lump sum and child support?

Post by snipsfan Thu 05 Sep 2019, 17:54

I have just received a favourable decision in regards to my pain and suffering compensation.
I have the choice to take a monthly amount for rest of my life or a 1x tax free lump sum payment.

my question is- if I was to take the 1x tax free lump sum payment will this affect my child support payments?

just curious if anyone else has gone through this situation and what the outcome was.

thank you

snipsfan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down