Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wearing of the Poppy

+2
Unknown Soldier
Kramer
6 posters

Go down

Wearing of the Poppy Empty Re: Wearing of the Poppy

Post by Yves_M Sat 23 Nov 2019, 17:29

I do wear the poppy in that it represents that I wish to tell others that I remember the sacrifices of those that went before me, the ones that have served and those that are still serving. I never gave it much thought as a fundraising symbol and I would not resort to not wearing it out of protest against the Legion.

I did join the the now defunct No. 9 Legion for a couple of years while serving but discontinued membership when all I met were civilians more concerned with their standing in the Legion than any thought of veterans. This fits nicely into the historical narrative for the Legion in that it was founded by the Canadian government as a way to isolate itself from veterans' claims notwithstanding that there were already other groups actually founded by veterans. Things haven't changed much over the decades. Even current veterans still choose to stand up their own clubs and associations and there are other agencies that have been founded that help veterans directly to which I donate.

Locally, the Poppy Fund was run by a 97 year old WWII Naval veteran that was as honest as the day is long. Unfortunately, he died this past summer and I don't know who took his place or if the focus of the poppy fund has changed.

As far as supporting veterans goes, the National Association of Federal Retirees has taken on more of a voice in support of veterans than the Legion ever has. I am a member of the former. It does not do fundraising for veterans but rather focuses on ensuring health, pension and other benefits are enhanced or continue. We do have a position on our local board for a Veterans Affairs representative who acts as a local contact for veterans and helps them navigate the complexities of the system.

Yves_M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Tue 19 Nov 2019, 10:44

I never read those articles you posted Rex......good to know....more ammo for my position. What angers me more now than ever, is (there is a quote below) that Canada's parliament granted the Legion this trademark....in 1948 to uphold and maintain the Poppy as a symbol reminding us to never forget the sacrifices Veterans made to protect our freedom.

https://www.legion.ca/remembrance/the-poppy/the-poppy-trademark "The Royal Canadian Legion has been entrusted by the people of Canada to uphold and maintain the Poppy as a symbol reminding us to never forget the sacrifices Veterans made to protect our freedom."

WHAT ABOUT THE SACRED OBLIGATION TO CANADA'S VETERANS!! Grrrr this is why I call them (the Legion and the GoC) bed partners!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/poppy-legion-1.4892134 Excerpt .... "Poppy trademark

Canadians might be surprised to learn that the image of the poppy cannot be used in "any colour or configuration" for remembrance without the Legion's approval. One assumes, then, that schools, knitters and veterans must ask permission.

Canada's Parliament granted the Legion this powerful trademark in 1948. As the Legion's website explains: "This vital responsibility was bestowed upon the Legion to ensure that the Canada's largest Veterans organization could act in preserving the Poppy as a sacred symbol of Remembrance of our Veterans."
Yet the Legion is no longer Canada's largest veterans' organization, having experienced massively dwindling numbers over the last few years. In fact, it is not even a dedicated veterans' organization. Instead, the Legion now labels itself "Canada's largest Veteran support and community service organization."
The Legion's head office, known as Dominion Command, is not a charity and therefore has not been required to provide detailed accounting as to how the poppy funds are specifically distributed. Its "Poppy Manual," however, stresses the organization, would "ensure that [the poppy] would never be used for commercial or personal gain or would never be desecrated through inappropriate use."

Yet the Legion markets all sorts of products at poppystore.ca, including cell phone cases, wallets, totes, mittens, toques, umbrellas and even stuffed poppy puppies. In 2013, the Legion further trademarked the use of the poppy on hundreds of other products including lottery tickets, ashtrays, pool cues, hosiery, sweat bands and "underwear briefs."

It is left to the Legion's discretion to determine when and if the use of the poppy is in bad taste, or if profit overshadows sacrifice and remembrance. No one holds the Legion accountable."

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 19 Nov 2019, 01:47

Part of the reason I stopped, was the legions overzealous control of the image. They sued a Veterans motorcycle club, because they dared to have a small image of a poppy on their crest.

https://canadamotoguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/cvfr-patch.jpg

They also sued a bunch of elderly women, who were knitting quilts, with poppies on them, for charity. I can understand if people are trying to profit off the image of the poppy, but preventing any use of it, even by Veterans, is ridiculous. I'm waiting to hear about the lawsuit against Ubisoft, because the latest Ghost Recon game has fields full of poppies,

https://i.redd.it/ns061aaz25y31.jpg
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Mon 18 Nov 2019, 14:18

Because I choose not to wear a poppy for reason previously mentioned……I still like to see Canadians ….mainly civilians wear it (whether they donate or not). My reason for not wearing is solely because of the Legion. Why I like to see others wear it, is for every other reason……like the symbolic recognition for the sacrifice so many made/gave. If I say I don’t like priests and will never talk to one or be in a room alone with one because of a bad experience, it doesn’t mean I will condemn or disagree with others for seeing them/one.

Sorry for the strong analogy……but I will no longer give the Legion the time of day for what they have now become.

As for the Legion having the rights to it…hmmmm again mixed feelings. If they didn’t have the rights and no one monitored/controlled its use, I can see some ignorant people disrespect it??

I still remember....reflect and am grateful without having to have a poppy pinned on me.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 18 Nov 2019, 13:51

Actually Rex I wear a poppy 24/7 365. I tattooed the VAC double poppy with the gold maple leaf on the back of my calf.

I do remember those vets that did not come home all year because as you said "we stand on their shoulders". It's during the 1-2 week period around Remembrance Day that I try really hard to ignore the Political Correct warriors who mewl ad nausea about Canada's past military history/accomplishments.

Besides if you try to have a conversation with these PC warriors it's equivalent to having an argument with a wall! LOL So for my sanity I just ignore them. Though I have to admit seeing the expression on their face when I just walk away from them is a lot of fun!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 18 Nov 2019, 13:13

Would you NOT think of those fallen soldiers, leading up to Remembrance Day, if you weren't wearing a poppy? It doesn't have magical powers to make people remember. Besides, you've done more to show your respect, than 99.9% of Canadians. Not because you were pressured into it, but because you know that, as Veterans, we stand on the shoulders of those that did not come home.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 18 Nov 2019, 11:06

Yes the Legion is in a very rare stage in it's history...civilians outnumber vets 5:1. And there has been suspicions of the poppy funds distribution and their choke hold on saying they hold the copyright to the poppy.

All their issues aside I do wear a poppy every year. Yes I do put money in the Poppy Box even though you don't have to put money in the box.

I pay and wear it because I have stood at Vimy Ridge, Juneau Beach, Benni Sur Mer, Paschendale and Beaumont Hamel. I wear the poppy for those who did not come home. I wear it to Remember them.

I put all the "social media noise" about the poppy, Legion, political photo ops aside and wear the poppy for that 2 week period and what it stands for. Remembrance.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Mon 18 Nov 2019, 09:34

after the way the legion endorsed the governments plans to throw disabled vets under the buss in 2006 and has yet to apologise for that and take corrective action . my plans to join upon release changed and in no way shape or form will one dime of mine will go to the legion . frack the legion .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Thu 14 Nov 2019, 20:10

That is true bigrex.....just like I (or anyone) does not have to go to church to be religious or practice religion! I do feel guilty because society makes me feel that way.....they/people judge from what they see (or don't see) on the outside........they don't see a poppy......and they assume....yet like you said rex.....they don't see the scars or what a soldier has went through. They don't see what our government has or HASN'T done for us or what the Legion has or hasn't done for us and/or all the false promises each of them made.

I can see less and less people wearing the poppy. One person wrote he had to wear 3 poppies before and up until Remembrance Day because they were so cheaply made, for one reason or another, either the pin would bend or the plastic would tear or it would fall off.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 14 Nov 2019, 16:04

Personally, I have not worn a poppy for several years, and I don't think any veteran should feel obligated to do so. Because unlike civilians (like most in the Legion) we bear the scars, physical and mental, that remind us everyday of the sacrifices that those who served, have made. And we don't just start thinking about Veterans and fallen soldiers, on November 1st, and we don't stop thinking about them on November 12th. I don't need to wear a small piece of plastic, to prove to other people, that I support Veterans.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Thu 14 Nov 2019, 12:40

Here are a few articles. The second link....I am sure many legions are guilty of: not being transparent enough and being very vague with record keeping...intentionally. The 3rd link is an article from Sean Bruyea calling out the Legion in General....not specifically over poppies......it is the first time seeing it for me.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-legion-under-fire-for-donating-poppy-funds-to-sports-event-for-veterans

https://globalnews.ca/news/3956714/poppy-under-pressure-where-is-the-money-going/

http://espritdecorps.ca/perspectives-1/calling-out-the-great-veteran-pretender

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 14 Nov 2019, 12:12

Riddick wrote:I am curious of other's thoughts on wearing the poppy.  A few years ago when I read about the Legion and its inappropriate spending of the poppy fund, I made a personal pledge that I would no longer support the Legion and I would no longer wear a poppy.  It is not only because of greedy spending on their part, but also because they do not support veterans like they say/pretend they do.  They claim the rights to the poppy.....I am not going to fight that...the original idea and purpose of it was uniquely admirable, but my eyes opened when I seen the hypocrisy from the Legion.  Saying they support the vets yet they sleep with the government and threw us under the bus.  To me.....it was very obvious when the NVC came to be, they were not siding with the vets!

Now in the news, Don Cherry is being chastised for his comment regarding the poppy.  I also read that not as many people are wearing poppies....that I do not know if it is true....and if it is....I certainly do not know the "why."  I do my share of helping others......the food bank or donations to The Sick Kids Hospital are my go to charities.

COMMENTS? I agree with the Legion not helping veterans the way they profess, a few years back the noticed their dwindling numbers and brain stormed this facade of out to support the Afghanistan vet, but when you actually call on them , they are in no better position than the ombudsman to reason with VAC. However, I did not read about this misuse of poppy money, in what way.?

Riddick
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Wearing of the Poppy Empty Wearing of the Poppy

Post by Kramer Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:16

I am curious of other's thoughts on wearing the poppy. A few years ago when I read about the Legion and its inappropriate spending of the poppy fund, I made a personal pledge that I would no longer support the Legion and I would no longer wear a poppy. It is not only because of greedy spending on their part, but also because they do not support veterans like they say/pretend they do. They claim the rights to the poppy.....I am not going to fight that...the original idea and purpose of it was uniquely admirable, but my eyes opened when I seen the hypocrisy from the Legion. Saying they support the vets yet they sleep with the government and threw us under the bus. To me.....it was very obvious when the NVC came to be, they were not siding with the vets!

Now in the news, Don Cherry is being chastised for his comment regarding the poppy. I also read that not as many people are wearing poppies....that I do not know if it is true....and if it is....I certainly do not know the "why." I do my share of helping others......the food bank or donations to The Sick Kids Hospital are my go to charities.

COMMENTS?

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down