Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does TPI stand for?

2 posters

Go down

What does TPI stand for? Empty Re: What does TPI stand for?

Post by bigrex Tue 11 Sep 2012, 23:01

Jeffery, grade 1 PIA is the highest, paid at $1677. Have you just been approved for it? You should have received a financial worksheet detailing what you are entitled to
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Tue 11 Sep 2012, 22:35

I'm %101 combined disabled. PTSD is %81. I did question VAC on this tho. According to them, I am grade 1 PIA.
Funny story...when I called and asked them what was what, I was unaware of the grading system. They told me I'm rated grade 1. I said, "how many grades u got? Is it like school? Goes to grade 12?" She had to check into it, as she had no idea.

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 11 Sep 2012, 20:06

Jeff, I would ask for a reassessment of your PIA. Anybody rated at 100% or higher should get a level 2 PIA at least
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 15:14

lol ill get back to ya when i get diagnosed with lung cancer.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Tue 11 Sep 2012, 14:22

Who's ready for a serious trade??

I am 101% disabled. I am deemed TPI.

I am in receipt of the following;
LTD from Sisip $2839/month
PIA $559/month
PIS $1028/month
NVC lump-sum $282,000 tax free

The monthly amounts are my take home..

I will trade ONLY with a disabled veteran, whom has 100% or greater disability rating. And is TPI. And is in receipt of similar allowances, and a VAC disability pension.

BE AWARE. I HAVE NO VAC PENSION.

I am trading my NVC lump-sum for your "go forward" monthly Pension act payments.

WHO'S INTERESTED???? (SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY)

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:26

VAC does not refer to the term TPI (total and permanent impairment) in any of its notes or acts, this is a SISIP term having to do with being elligible for benefits beyond the first 24 months.

the only reference in the NVC is the PIA supplement, then it is refered to as/in 'total and permanent incapacitation'.

sorry for the confusion, had to re-read the original question

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 10 Sep 2012, 23:03

Please take the time to read the full post, if you are confused with the programs at VAC, and they have been made even more complex having to work with two completely different legislations, and often times get things screwed up.

TPI does mean Total and Permanent Impairment, as stated before, and for SISIP and the new ELB (Earnings Loss Benefit) from VAC, being declared TPI allows you to collect 75% of your pre-release pay until the age of 65 (being raised to 67). So once you are declared TPI and are approved for the ELB, you then may also be approved for the PIA (Permanent Impairment Allowance) and the PIA supplement. The PIA is paid if you have a severe and permanent disability, and have received either a disability pension, or a disability award under the New Charter for the condition. The typical conditions that get approved are blindness, amputations, and paralysis, but you can also be approved if you require assistance in showering, dressing, mobility or other ADL's (Activities of Daily Living) due to a bad back or hips. The PIA supplement is a new benefit that, as long as you've already been approved for the PIA, will grant you an extra $1028 per month if your disability keeps you from working. The problem with all these is you have to jump through the hoops set up by VAC first. So initially you have to be approved for the Rehab program, then next is the ELB, which is paid while on rehab. Then once the ELB is in place, they will determine whether or not you are TPI. Then you can apply for the PIA and the supplement. It normally only takes 4-8 weeks for approval at each stage, so it isn't a long drawn out process thankfully.

Also, if you are rated at 100% disabled by VAC, you may be eligible for the EIA (Exceptional Impairment Allowance), instead of the PIA. The EIA is a tax free credit awarded under the Pension act, but only to those rated at 98% or higher. VAC will determine which program you will qualify for.

** just a side note.**

When applying for ELB, know that they do not start you off at 75% of your pay back when you released. They take that amount and add 2% for every year since, so if you released in the Ninety's, when pay rates were exceptionally low, you need not worry about getting those low rates if your approved. When I released in 2006 my 75% mark was $3500, and when I was approved for ELB this summer, the worksheet calculated the 75% mark at almost $3900. 75% of a maxed out Corporal released in 1992 was only $2166/month, but now he would receive $3218. Then once the policies are changed, you will be able to collect your full PA pension as well as the ELB, less other sources of income.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Sep 2012, 21:56

total permanent impairment/incapacity (TPI)

usually referred to when coming up to the 24 month and beyond mark for continued SISIP coverage

Last edited by puddleduk935 on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 21:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition of last line of text)

Back to top Go down

What does TPI stand for? Empty What does TPI stand for?

Post by Guest Mon 10 Sep 2012, 21:26

??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down