Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Backgroung Info on Family Caregiver Relief Benefit

+2
bigrex
Teentitan
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Backgroung Info on Family Caregiver Relief Benefit Empty Re: Backgroung Info on Family Caregiver Relief Benefit

Post by Guest Sat 12 Dec 2015, 17:45

Never heard of anyone receiving this yet....but now that the Liberals are in power they may be looking at amending this , just a wild guess.

Back to top Go down

Backgroung Info on Family Caregiver Relief Benefit Empty Re: Backgroung Info on Family Caregiver Relief Benefit

Post by Slaket Fri 11 Dec 2015, 12:07

Does anyone even have this benefit?

I'm still awaiting a descion.

As this is a yearly Benefit I would assume it is to be paid on the anniversary date of ones approval and not on let's say Jan 1st of each year?

Thanks

Slaket
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 19 Mar 2015, 20:45

From the debrief the FCRB is like the VIP Grant...the recipient can do with it as they please. There was zero indication of restrictions with regards to their job. It's to help, anyway possible, the caregiver.

Like it's been stated earlier the benefit gets passed and I am sure the OVO will do their due diligence and followup to make sure both the AA and FCRB are fair in value and qualifications.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 19 Mar 2015, 20:35

The potential problem I see between the two benefits, is linking the benefit to the classification of informal caregiver. Does that mean that the spouse or family member has to have quit their job, in order to care for the Veteran 24/7? Or do they merely need to assist them with certain daily activities. With the Attendance Allowance, a spouse can still hold a full time job outside of the home, but as long as the Veteran requires help to bath, dress and other daily activities, they can collect the AA, and the more assistance required, the higher the AA can be.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Mar 2015, 17:58

The way in which I see it is that this new caregiver allowance is a starting point, it is tax free, and the amount that was announced, can be revisited down the road.

This new allowance is better than nothing, it is a starting point, and it shows that this government is "acting" on Veterans issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 19 Mar 2015, 09:35

FCRB for Teen = Official Seniors Moment LOL Thanks Rex
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Mar 2015, 09:23

Yes, your right Rex, different benefits for veterans isn't fair

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 19 Mar 2015, 00:54

FCRB = Family Caregiver Relief Benefit.

So far, this is the only new benefit that will be strictly for those only covered by the NVC, so someone getting a PA pension and AA will still be able to access all the current and other proposed benefits under the NVC. IMO, other than the disability pension vs the lump sum award, all Veterans should have access to all the same income and family support benefits, regardless of when you were injured.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 18 Mar 2015, 23:27

What does FCRB mean Rex?

My first impression was the same but until we know all the administrative changes and how much the new benefits are plus the new caregiver benefit does it all add up to be the same as AA?

I think this is one of those benefits we have to wait and see how it washes out with the rest of the announcements.

One other point to consider...if the caregiver benefit does not match the AA the OVO and vet orgs can now advocate for equality with the AA. And the government can do a simple 'cost adjustment' without having to go to a vote on the floor.

Remember adjusting/correcting costs of established benefits is purely a memo to cabinet to correct. In other words vets scream loud enough the government (any party) can correct it asap.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 18 Mar 2015, 23:13

Yes, but since this benefit is solely for those who have become totally disabled AFTER 2006, 300 seems like a pretty high number. I know one thing though, they will likely have to increase the minimum AA amount, to match this new benefit. In all honesty, the only fair thing to do, would have been to bring back the AA, for everyone, because now they have created a disparity between the two benefits under the two different legislations, for basically the exact same purpose.

AA minimum = $282.11/mo
AA maximum = $1762.62/mo

FCRB flat rate = $583/mo
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015, 15:28

Yes cosmo, only 300 or so will be eligible. Few of us are that sevirally impaired. My wife sees to me every day, if it was not for her I would no longer be here. She keeps me buzy, managese my money, makes sur I wash, get up in the morning. And I know I will not be getting better. Few of us are at the 100% dissability, and the few that are will really need that support after 65. Alsow we most remember that because of are reliece date SISSIP will no longer pay LTD after 65.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Wed 18 Mar 2015, 14:10

I think this one will be hard to get when they say only 300 or so will be eligible.

C.

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by RCNRetired Wed 18 Mar 2015, 01:28

Yes, I also heard the minister state on CBC News show after his announcement re the caregiver relief that indeed SISP LTD members will receive the RISB allowance at age 65 when their LTD benefit ends.

RCNRetired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 18 Mar 2015, 00:07

SISIP LTD CLIENTS ARE QUALIFIED FOR THE RISB. Even the CVA corrected their wrong information from last week.

The Family Caregiver Relief Benefit is only for NVC clients

PA clients are eligible for Attendance Allowance that is why PA clients do not in any way, or partially qualify for the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit in anyway, shape or form. This came straight from 2 ADM's and the VAC lawyer.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 17 Mar 2015, 23:41

Well, from what I understand, the only requirement qualifying for the RISB will be that you are getting monthly income support, when you turn 65, in the form of ELB, SISIP and possibly even CFIS. And being in receipt of other sources of income, including the PA pension, will not work against you.

Other than the CVA facebook page, I haven't seen or heard anything about people being excluded from the RISB, so I have no reason to doubt what has been passed on by Teen. I guess we'll have to wait until the legislation is written before we can find out for sure, one way or other.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next