Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tories' veterans benefits changes to cost $231.6M: budget officer

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tories' veterans benefits changes to cost $231.6M: budget officer Empty Re: Tories' veterans benefits changes to cost $231.6M: budget officer

Post by Guest Sat 21 Nov 2015, 11:35

Johnny ,

With respect to when the Liberals will make policy towards what was promised to Veterans....this is what the MVA said in his CTV interview when he was asked this question.... " When do you expect to have all your promises to Veterans implemented " ?
Answer : " From the  MVA - We expect to have all the promises implemented within the year 2016 "
He did not say fiscal year which runs from 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016.
So some implementations can be done as early as this year up until the end of next year....the house sits in the beginning of Dec....so we will wait an see if we hear anything from our MVA  when that happens.

With respect to when the budget will be brought forward....the Minister of finance said last Week in a news interview that he expects the budget to be Feb - or March of next year.

While were on the subject of promises to Veterans....here is some of my own observations that has suggested to me that all of those promises will be met , an will all be implemented by the end of next year.
The Prime Minister has showed so far that what he promised in his platform will be met....here's is a couple of examples of what I mean
From what expired in Paris with the terrorist attacks the PM was under pressure from world leaders to keep our CF 18's in theatre but the PM said that he will not renege from what he promised from his platform in removing the fighter jets from theatre.
Also the pressure from slowing - or re - thinking the time frame an the number of refuges he promised from his platform to deliver those promises , again , keeping his promise.
One more thing to add to this is the fact that they , the Liberals have walked in unknowingly to a deficit of 3 or 4 billion dollars an when asked if this would affect their promises....the answer is they will work around this in in no way they will renege on any of the promises.

So until I see a shift in attitude that reflects any sort of reneging from their promised platform....I will remain optimistic that what was promised to Veterans will indeed be implemented by the end of next year.

Back to top Go down

Tories' veterans benefits changes to cost $231.6M: budget officer Empty Re: Tories' veterans benefits changes to cost $231.6M: budget officer

Post by Guest Fri 20 Nov 2015, 20:54

johnny buds no nothing . I think I did read somewhere we may here something in early dec in reference to vets stuff . just don't recall where right now .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Fri 20 Nov 2015, 19:49

On a side note - Does anyone know or have heard when JT's policy's will come into effect. I would think that is when there budget is passed, which is when? VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 20 Nov 2015, 19:13

Like I said propat all the contacts I have talked to it always circles back to merging. The Libs couldn't even state if it would be taxed or tax free but when pressed Andy said it would be like other benefits....taxed. But yeah we have to wait for more details before we screw our heads up speculating too much.

Don't know if anyone read what 6608 posted but the PBO used the actuarial numbers from the Veteran Ombudsmans Office back in late 2013. So yes you are right trooper it would be great if the PBO could use actual VAC figures. But sometimes I think VAC does not want to keep accurate numbers. Just a feeling I always got from ADM's whenever I asked for numbers. Sometimes they would stall sending them to me for months until I finally gave up.

But it was nice to see the OVO's numbers used. Sort of gives some credability to the office.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 20 Nov 2015, 16:28

If ten year forecasts are so hard to do, and because the many factors have to be estimated, the numbers cannot be fully trusted, then why bother doing it? Keep the forecast to something more reasonable, like 3 years. I would rather have 90% confidence in a report that says these benefits may cost $30 million over 3 years, then less than 50% confidence in a report that estimates that they may cost $112 million over ten years.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Nov 2015, 15:43

Here is my take on this article - The budget officers duty is to ensure transparency an to inform the public of funds from budgets - The aim is to ensure that the budget implements sound economic policies.

In this particular case the officer is referring to what was implemented from the latest benefits brought forward by the past government for Veterans.
He states that his numbers result in the fact that the cost of war extend beyond both the ( withdrawal from theatre )
an also beyond ( the National Defence Budget. )

So I think what he is saying is that he would like to see the department crunch the numbers ahead of time to ensure that the cost comes as no surprise to parliamentarians. ( The costing for these benefits I thought were already crunched by the former government )

It is I think difficult for both the government department - an also the budget officer to come to some sort of accurate numbers here....he himself admits that he was unable to calculate the cost for both the PIA for the reservist , an the caregiver benefit.
Looking into the cost for the next 10 years for these benefits would in my view be ballpark figuring for anyone to accomplish , as there are just too many variables to come to an accurate figure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Nov 2015, 14:37

still we hove no idea of what form the lifelong pension will take but im hopeing its what all NVC vets and a lot of the rest of us want . the same as PA guys get . equality nothing less will do.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Nov 2015, 14:34

yes bigrex that's kinda how I see it happening once you make your election there will be no going back to change you mind for that particular claim . keeping in mind of course the guys from 06 on who never had the lifelong as a choice being given a chance to elect that form of payment .

the choice still bothers me a little . ya I wanted the buyout GONE but a choice would be acceptable as well as long as its done with strict attention being paid to this one question.

does this person have the faculties to make this kind of decision at this time ?

this is what was foremost in my mind when I changed the default payment under the NVC in that piece I wrote as those not able to make an election may be deemed as not having made the election.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 20 Nov 2015, 14:08

I agree that the ELB/PIA is NOT the lifelong pension that the Liberals are talking about. Eligibility for EELB and PIA is restricted to the most severely disabled, so they are not going to start giving it to someone who is only considered mild to moderately disabled, but yet they are not going to tell those veterans that they cannot be compensated for their injuries.

IMO, they will bring in a monthly pension for disability (all disability), or allow the person to take a one time lump sum payment (which will be larger than what is currently offered). They would then be offered the same choice with any subsequent claims. A Vet may choose to take an initial 15% for their back as a pension, but then take a 15% lump sum a year later for their knee, and then choose to take a 40% pension for PTSD. Then any additional % from a reassessment would be paid the same as the initial claim. They would then be collecting a certain % as a pension, but assessed at higher % overall. But once you elect to take the lump sum, that is it. there is no going back 5 or 10 years later wanting a monthly pension for that same disability.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Nov 2015, 13:12

that really makes no sense teen I mean at all . one is a LTD benefit the other is a pain and suffering benefit ALL Canadians are entitled to both as should we. the legalities of trying to cross these two are not only immense but IMO not possible. so not easy in the least bit. and by far not the best way .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 20 Nov 2015, 13:02

IMO that is going to be the lifelong pension answer ELB/LTD for life.

I know you guys have thrown out a lot of suggestions, which are creative and good. But all the contacts I have talked to about this always circles back to one answer only....merge the PA/NVC payment system then give the vet their choice.

Hardest part of the life long is what if the vet outlives the lump sum choice? Will there be a re-evaluation of the lump sum? Is it fair to allow a second dip into the lump sum? Do you put an age qualifier on the lump sum?

This is the hardest promise PMT has to keep. That's why IMO it's going to be LTD/ELB bumped to 90% and for life. Best, easiest way to keep the promise.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:53

I agree teen .

im not lobbying to remove a benefit .

just saying ELB for life is the answer .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:46

propat never lobby to remove a benefit. Haven't we learned our lesson with the NVC? LOL

Any benefit that helps any veteran, even one veteran, is a benefit I want left on the books.

Just look how long the reserves constantly took the kick to the nads for decades trying to get treated on the same level as the Reg Force. If the RISB helps just them then that's good in my books.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:46

Well seeing as the benefits were brand new when the election was called, I don't think that any politician would have come out right away and say that they would eliminate them, based solely on partisanship, before having a chance to see if they are actually beneficial. So, now that they are in power, they may review how these programs work, and make changes down the road, once they fulfill their election promises.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:41

well teen I think the benefit is a little bit helpful for a few . it does not come close to ELB for life . in my opinion this will be the "this is now" issue along with the VRAB issue . if we can sort these things out this RISB can disappear into the "what was then" forever .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next