Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunger Strike

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hunger Strike - Page 2 Empty Re: Hunger Strike

Post by Guest Thu 14 Apr 2016, 15:01

Veteran Robin Brentnall is on day 4 of his huger strike and yet no news coverage in the media. What is wrong with this situation? I hope he will be ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Tue 12 Apr 2016, 20:01

Several yrs ago I stayed by the side of another Vet, Fabien, a Vandoo Cpl, who did a hunger strike on a bench in front of the DVA HQ in Charlottetown. In his case it the Dept made a banking error, and he did not get his pension for 6 mths at that pt. It took 14 or 16 days I cannot remember for a higher up at DVA to come out and ask him in to chat. This was also the time I ripped up my Legion membership, as they did not once visit or support him. Fabien was set to die out ft of the HQ, as he was only on fluids. I find it disgusting that we the ones who signed to die for our country, have to go to such lenghts to right their wrong.  VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2016, 19:08

With respect to Robin Brentnall's hunger strike, it is disillusioning to see that very little media coverage is available for this gentleman's cause. Robin Brentnall has posted on MVA Hehr's facebook page and addressed both MVA Hehr and PM Trudeau. This Veteran deserves national media coverage to get his voice heard.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Tue 12 Apr 2016, 18:00

I was a support trade , Telecommunications , and last I checked almost everything is electronics and breaks.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Tue 12 Apr 2016, 14:07

All of my claims where questionable , QUESTIONABLE BY VETERANS AFFAIRS , and if I did not pursue each and every one of them they all would have been denied.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Tue 12 Apr 2016, 06:12

Every Veteran in his vicinity that is off should be there to support Mr. Brentall. He has a back bone and is standing up for what he believes is his rights and I do not blame him one ounce.
Being lied to and then deceived is not the way to do business with Canadian Armed Forces Soldiers.
The GOC F-up and they need to fix it!
Come on Veterans! There should be hundreds of you surroundings one of our brothers and all speaking up on his behalf.
I am with you my Mr. Brentall ! ! !
I support your hunger strike, although it shows another party of the GOC screwing over Veterans once again.....
NOT A GOOD START AND THE EMPIRE WILL FALL IF YOU DO NOT TAKE CARE OF YOUR SOLDIERS>>>>>>A soldier first then a trades men.
The GOC F--KED with the first 0-25 years of my life and 9 years afterwards and still are meddling in my welfare. \
Do not give up your fight with VAC and GOC, this is part of there scheme to deny, delay and hope you die.....sounds cruel doesn't it? This is what the GOC does, so do not be surprised when shit goes side ways and people start turning there backs on the GOC.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2016, 20:12

Gambo veteran begins hunger strike in Gander

Robin Brentnall of Gambo began a hunger strike at MP Scott Simm’s office in Gander Monday to protest what he calls an unsatisfactory decision by the Veterans Review and Appeals Board.

A veteran of the Canadian Forces, Brentnall says he believes he meets all requirements for critical injury benefits, but the Department of Veterans Affairs denied his application in 2015.

He then took his case to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board, which recently denied his appeal.

It was in July of 2006 when Brentnall suffered a debilitating stroke. He says that’s why he applied for the critical injury benefits, which was introduced by the federal Conservative government in 2015.

“One night my wife was coming home from bingo and called me,” he said. “Ten minutes later when she showed everything was double. I couldn’t talk because I had a stroke.”

Brentnall said he spent the next five days in a coma in intensive care and another month in the hospital.

“I spent another six months in the hospital just going back and forth for follow up,” he said.

Brentnall said he believes the stroke was a result of a mix of service related injuries, including stress, medications and high blood pressure.

The federal critical injury benefit regulations state:

“The Minister may, on application, pay a critical injury benefit to a member or veteran who establishes that they sustained one or more severe and traumatic injuries, or developed an acute disease, and that the injury or disease was:

a) was a service-related injury or disease;

b) was the result of a sudden and single incident that occurred after March 31, 2006; and

c) immediately caused a severe impairment and severe interference in their quality of life.”

Given the effects of his stroke, which occurred after March 31, 2006, Brentnall believes he meets all the requirements for the critical injury benefit, which is a $70,000 tax-free lump sum awarded to injured veterans.

“I only had to meet one of the requirements and I had eight out of 10 that I qualified for,” he said.

Brentnall said he was told to appeal the decision of Veterans Review and Appeal Board, which has left him frustrated.

Two fellow veterans, who declined to be interviewed for this story, were with Brentnall on Monday to offer their support.

He says he’ll continue to go without food until someone agrees to review his file again.

“Until they actually come to terms with what’s actually going on, and the minister, my MP or parliamentary secretary gives me a call to tell me they’re going to look into it, the hunger strike stays on,” he said. “All it takes is a phone call. I’ll keep it up until the point I need to be hospitalized.”

http://www.ganderbeacon.ca/News/Local/2016-04-11/article-4494204/Gambo-veteran-begins-hunger-strike-in-Gander/1

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Fri 08 Apr 2016, 08:27

Do you know if it is a first level appeal or a second level appeal because if it is first level he has that option if it still exist? As far as a hunger strike , I have eaten twice already today and it is only 8:26 in the morning.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Hunger Strike - Page 2 Empty Hunger Strike

Post by Dannypaj Fri 08 Apr 2016, 06:57

http://www.ganderbeacon.ca/News/Local/2016-04-07/article-4490720/Gambo-veteran-to-stage-hunger-strike-in-Gander/1

Gambo veteran to stage hunger strike in Gander

Brandon AnsteyPublished on April 07, 2016

Robin Brentnall of Gambo is planning to go on a hunger strike this Monday in Gander, to protest what he calls an unsatisfactory decision by the Veterans Review and Appeals Board.

Latest News

In a letter to local media, he said he will stage his protest at the office of Scott Simms, MP for the federal riding of Coast of Bays-Central-Notre Dame.

Brentnall says he believes he meets all requirements for critical injury benefits, but the Department of Veterans Affairs denied his application in 2015.

He took his case to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board. They recently denied his appeal.

Brentnall says he is staging the hunger strike in an attempt to have that decision reversed, and to draw attention to veteran’s issues in general.

“I will remain in (Simms) office during office hours and go home in the evenings or to the local hospital should my health depreciate to the point of not being able to drive,” he advised local media via email.

Brentnall told The Beacon he would provide more details on Monday morning.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2