Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A familiar pattern of ignoring veterans

+2
johnny211
bigrex
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A familiar pattern of ignoring veterans - Page 2 Empty Re: A familiar pattern of ignoring veterans

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2016, 14:52

I don't advise anyone to protest on remembrance day, it's the one day of the year that is put aside for the respect of the fallen and all other activities should be kept for other days.

With regards to the Legion and protest of the Legion in my opinion in a way it's already begun, in a sense that is, the published articles bringing corruptness within the legion to light about the Legion refusing to give out their expenses is putting some heat on the Legion and more articles need to continue being written to alert the public of the Legions response. They have already showed what happens to their members when they speak out as pinger points out. But yes public protest could work if properly organized.

With regards to protest in general well this is an area where organization is key, like I said before the government does not like to see mass Veterans protesting in public, protesting in public is probably the best tool available to Veterans today. As it stands with communicating through social media, meetings, letters lands the best deal for the government. The government has full control and can continue to calm the waters by simply saying that they are listening and have our best interest at heart. Does this sound familiar? It should because that's what's been happening for years now and the government loves it. They love it because they can take the hits via meetings, social media and the written complaints, it's continuous and feeds right into their laps as they can continue on and say they are working for our well being with little or no serious damage. Public protest on the other hand is a whole different ball game, in this particular scenario the image of the government can be damaged big time and can certainly lead to success for the protesters not to mention the lack of control the government has against what the protesters are protesting. As I said before protest can be a difficult task to achieve given the divide among the different beliefs we have as Veterans. Some just want those offices opened, some just want improvements to the NVC, some want the PA returned, some are OK with being told improvements are being worked on and then say they will hold them to account for what they promise and so on, in my opinion in order for positive change to occur there has to be a broad base recognition of a change in tactics in the way we get real action on our file, public protest maybe that change, perhaps it's something else but public protest could be a good starting place for changing tactics. it might get us more attention and concrete action on our file. To me something has to change cause as it stands today the government has the upper hand in how things are implemented on our file. They implement what they want regardless of anyone speaking out against it, it's pure window dressing and we all know it but won't change our ways to prevent it. As far as I can tell today Banished Veterans are the only ones organized to conduct a organized protest as we have seen in Halifax last Month. In my opinion we need more calls to lean in this direction, the direction of public protest. Yes it can be difficult to accomplish on your own but with more calls from Veterans to at least look at this approach, it is possible to raise the awareness of knowing that public protest may just be the way to move forward.

Again this is just my own opinion for discussion, I don't want to influence anyone to agree with what I have written.

Back to top Go down

A familiar pattern of ignoring veterans - Page 2 Empty Re: A familiar pattern of ignoring veterans

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2016, 14:23

ya know pinger looking at it since I stand at the very back on remembrance day anyway a respectful position to take as not to obstruct anyone's view while the sigh's are up . this would not change my remembrance day much at all . I just bring a sign with me and hold it up when politicians' speak .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2016, 14:02

pinger you said " Well you sure as hell don't take a protest to a cenotaph on the 11th hour "

I say you sure as heck do . ya do it right mind you no yelling or screaming or even talking if the legion doesn't invite you to speak mind you lol. just signage that's all . signs turned upside down in the rest on arms position during the moment of silence and real people speak like clergy actual veterans and really just about anybody but politician's but fully raised when the politicians speak .

if anyone wants to quell a quiet and legal protest with physical violence well they can giver I'm 10foot tall and bulletproof lmao and as for the cameras let em roll .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 17 Jul 2016, 13:44

Well you sure as hell don't take a protest to a cenotaph on the 11th hour.  Whoever thought of the 10th had that right.
Otherwise, you could be yanked by kevin vickers or anyone bloody proper . . .
and the cameras can capture the stupid black eyes at the end of that day.

I ain't pro or con legion and a s.o. helped me one time, and that's nice.

But what caught my attention was Joan Beznoski out of Manitoba that got yanked out of the legion for raising concerns about the mistreatment of veterans. It's all their internal fracking politics over there that needs to be held to account.

But I think I have the answer....
A cost / benefit analysis of the legion towards their primary goal.

I'll go further than that....ahh shyte... their already south.

Just my respectful opinion.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2016, 13:43

Sure, I can understand the position contrary to my own. I wouldn't judge anyone who takes up the fight against the Legion or the GoC on Remembrance Day. I just can't do it myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2016, 13:35

hey I get that bruce and fully understand . I also fully understand the reasons why they are the same reasons why I would protest but I will also be keeping in mind those that did survive in a diminished capacity as I'm sure you would as well .

we have a difference of opinion that's all and that is necessary I think for a well rounded discussion .

now in my opinion politician's have not honored those vets and fallen you speak of in their actions . people who protest in support of vets , vets families and their issues at any time have shown by their actions to be honoring those people on more than one day a year .

try this just do a small scale study this remembrance day and count not legion members but actual vets that speak at the ceremony and also count the politicians that speak and see what the discrepancy is .

then picture protesters their protesting on vets issues say the buyout , death benefit , family support or all issues whatever .

who do you think are honoring the fallen and disabled most ???? the protesters or the politicians' .

we all have different ways of honoring those lost and disabled in service to our country on that day and many other days and cant really say ive heard of a bad way .

In my opinion doing it in a way that may actually help those we are honoring and the families left behind would not be a bad one either .

I Shure as heck would completely understand why some would not participate .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2016, 12:42

Every Remembrance Day I pay homage in particular to Robert Costall, Bryce Keller and Kevin Dellaire,  1st. Battalion PPCLI who died in battle in the Stan.  

I get roaring drunk after the ceremonies for my fallen brothers-in-arms, because they are no longer able too.

Last edited by bruce72 on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 12:43; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2016, 12:33

There's is a ZERO percent chance I would protest on Remembrance Day. It is a day of reflection, a day to pay honour and respect to the fallen and to all those who have served in peace and war. I couldn't in good conscience air my grievances on November 11th.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jul 2016, 10:01

pinger gave a lot of thought to the protesting the legion itself because I believed that idea very much deserved that .

very long story short ;;bottom line great idea with a lot of risk . love to do it though . thing is you would need a fairly new action by the legion against vets for that to work .

however protesting the GOC on remembrance day at the cenotaphs would not only garner immediate public and media attention not only to our cause but to the actions of the legion over it whatever they my be and I'm guessing not only giving us a good reason to protest the legion in the future but shifting the opinion of the legion in the eyes of the general public from favorable to abysmal all in one day .

seriously if you spent your day of remembrance by choosing to show your support for veterans and the legion did it by trying to disrupt or stop your show of support for vets at a time a lot of cameras were rolling ..... wellllll.... unless I miss my mark the general public would really start to understand the real role the legion is actually playing .

ok had to say the " l " word to often but let me know what ya think .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sat 16 Jul 2016, 22:04

Good article.

" Perhaps more importantly, actively protesting is not what Canadian veterans usually do. "

Yup. Just my opinion here but Canadians in general including us remind me of a deer caught in the headlights.
Like becoming lazy Canadians in general. Terrible. . . We should stand up on our hind bloody legs.
Were doing it, just not enough.

Especially if we are fracked over. It was a bee for me.

Can truly understand why some of us can't though ...

Lots of personal, political agendas, saving faces, crying wolfs to avoid in the mean time though.
THAT'S AN LOL . . .

stay very well everyone . . .
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

A familiar pattern of ignoring veterans - Page 2 Empty Veterans are more than just window dressing

Post by Guest Sat 16 Jul 2016, 14:42

Veterans are more than just window dressing
Re: Smol: A familiar patter of ignoring veterans, July 11

July 16, 2016

Thank you Robert Smol for laying out the groundwork for what Canada’s veterans need to do in order to improve our benefits.

Unfortunately, I feel that your sound assessment and advice will go unheeded as veterans are too fractured, with not only different levels of veteran’s care already being provided by the government, but also with too many special interest veteran’s groups vying for their membership.

It also appears that there are too many people who have a career or position based on maintaining the status-quo. Perhaps more importantly, actively protesting is not what Canadian veterans usually do. There have been a few brave individuals who have challenged the system and we have seen from both the government and media scrutiny what they have had to endure in order to bring about change.

During our military careers we were trained to take direction, follow orders and that openly questioning those in power, especially by uniting with others, could be tantamount to mutiny. Only by realizing that the government does have a sacred obligation to look after veterans and that we do need to demonstrate en masse to those in power and that we are more than just window dressing at public events, will anyone in government sit up, take notice and make some changes.

Ed Storey
RCE WO, Retired
UN Yugoslavia, NATO Bosnia and Afghanistan Veteran
Nepean

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/letters/your-letters-for-saturday-july-16-the-tenors-pride-and-trudeau-abroad-2

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 13 Jul 2016, 13:33

Panserbjorn, you wrote,  "I want to protest but the will has been drained out of me, it's a hard thing to grasp I am sure."
No my friend... quite the opposite. Don't feel like your the only hole in the donut by a country mile...

You touched on a good tad or two bruce. Self loathing? Engaging with each other, your fellow man, or the human race works for me most days.

Back to said article though...
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 13 Jul 2016, 00:39

This is one of Robert's best articles.

The veteran community is no longer that "vote rich" group due to our WW1, WW2 and Korea vets passing away. So yeah he nailed it the way political parties treat us during an election then move at that glacial pace after they win.

I would like to see Robert explore the one "vote rich" group....CUPE. The very union that serves veterans but a majority of those employee's loath veterans. But they love any political party that boosts their ranks.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jul 2016, 15:40

Panserbjorn

I urge you to seek help from a mental health professional. If it wasn't for the help I receive from my psychologist (for years I refused to confront my demons at the behest of friends and family) I would have spiralled into a world of unending hate and self-destructive behavior. I'm nowhere near 100%, but I've got to a point where I can live with myself. I still drink, but not daily anymore and not until I'm completely incoherent. I also use medical cannabis for symptoms of PTSD and it has greatly reduced my anxiety and hyper-vigilance.

I hope by sharing this information, it may help you and others who live nightmares, agoraphobia, self-loathing or any number of mental health issues.

It sounds like a cliché now, but keep moving forward, for the alternative is a life time of hell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Panserbjørn Tue 12 Jul 2016, 11:35

It just so hard to comprehend the change - how my mind now works - due to my experiences from my time serving in the Canadian Forces. I used to be happier and now I just want it all to burn. I want to protest but the will has been drained out of me, it's a hard thing to grasp I am sure.

Panserbjørn
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2016-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next