Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is government moving to declare a portion of pain and suffering award as income replacement and must be considered in future economic support????

3 posters

Go down

Is government moving to declare a portion of pain and suffering award as income replacement and must be considered in future economic support???? Empty Rumour Mill

Post by Ex Member Sun 11 Sep 2016, 21:10

MVA does not understand Veterans and never will.  The next MVA will be the same. At least Julian Fantino kind of had the go F yourself attitude.  This MVA is so weak.

News Flash from MVA Surrey BC is reopening office.   That's it, that's all he has...... Oh and a few that a boys to people trying to fix this F mess they call VAC.

You now have to go public if you want your file red flagged and moved up in the system.

Rumour

This is what will happen.  Reinstatement of penisions, when who knows.  The amount you got paid on a lump sum will be deducted from a normal penision.  Bean counters will take ages to do this. So if you got 25% award does not mean a 25% deduction because they ripped us off in the first place.  

I figure when I got an award of $60k I really should have been paid 180k if I was not in the military and went thru WCB plus company insurance.  Plus my top  up of over the years to have a bigger pension.

In a comparable award for a non military person would be 720k, not the 360k they are offering now.

My above thoughts are just a rumour.

I do feel better now, getting that out of my system   Hurry up and wait.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Is government moving to declare a portion of pain and suffering award as income replacement and must be considered in future economic support???? Empty Re: Is government moving to declare a portion of pain and suffering award as income replacement and must be considered in future economic support????

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2016, 15:34

Just so everyone knows and understands, there's a whole lot of rumors floating around regarding what the lifelong pension will detail, also rumors concerning changes on our file outside of the lifelong pension, and changes outside of the 15 promises that were made by the Liberals. That is typical when we are left out in the dark without any progress reports on what remains to be implemented. Again, we must not forget that the Liberals need not implement anything that is wished upon by various Veterans, and Veterans groups. It has become clear as I stated before that the bureaucrats are the ones holding all the power here, the MVA simply can delegate to them the 15 promises to deliver by the Liberals end term, by deliver, I mean the way in which the bureaucrats want to deliver them, not necessarily the way Veterans think or want them delivered. So far that seems to be the case. I have my doubts that the MVA really understands fully what Veterans want and need, I also think that our MVA has not fully educated himself on our file and has not controlled what he has delegated down to the bureaucrats to implement. This is apparent by watching and listening each time he writes or speaks on our file, also the amount of time he spends writing and talking outside of our file clearly shows his lack of involvement and participation on our file. Sure his commitment to holding summits and continuing to repeat the same line saying that he wants the best for Veterans and their families may hold well for some, but before we can give credit where credit is due, we need to see proactive actions that comes from such summits, and hearing the same repeated answers, again, and again saying that he wants to ensure the best for Veterans and their families when really nothing of significant has changed, is not proactive and only proves that he has passed everything down to the bureaucrats to get done while he travels the Countryside dealing with everything, but the Veterans file. With respect to Mike, and no disrespect to him as he has advocated on all Veterans behalf, he was led to believe that promise no#2 of the mandate letter: "Re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for our injured veterans" meant the return of the tax free pension from the old PA. If you recall the last summit where videos of that summit were made available to CSAT, you can see where Mike ask that very question, What about the return of the pension act? This was a mistake to think that the Liberals/Bureaucrats are going to implement this, not even close. Others as well were led to believe that something close to the PA would be coming, I have heard nothing from our MVA stating anything close to that, he doesn't know himself, how would he when he has left all of this to the bureaucrats to handle, and we all know how the bureaucrats work, they work for themselves making sure there's enough work ahead for them to collect their pensions. This whole process from day one, budget day is a joke, it is all smoke and mirrors, the offices were made a priority because that provided jobs, the 15% increase to the ELB has been altered in a way that is unfair to some Veterans, the DA is another implementation that is unclear to Veterans of the way in which calculations are to be done, it is also unclear why they are waiting over a year to provide eligible Veterans with the supplementary payments. But it's like I said in my above post, we have the Liberals for 4 years, how Veterans and Veterans group proceed in handling Veterans concerns remains unclear. We will wait and see what comes out from the Oct 4th protest.

In closing I would just like to remind all that a rumor is just that, a rumor, until it is made public from the proper authority, it is pure speculation.

Back to top Go down

Is government moving to declare a portion of pain and suffering award as income replacement and must be considered in future economic support???? Empty Re: Is government moving to declare a portion of pain and suffering award as income replacement and must be considered in future economic support????

Post by bigrex Sun 11 Sep 2016, 15:17

This is why I hate all the secrecy. If we do not know what the government are possibly even planning, we have no way to actively tell them that they are going in the wrong direction, until it's too late. Right now, it's just guesswork. So for all we know, they were merely spitballing ideas at these meetings, and since Mike obviously didn't agree with some of the ideas that were being brought up, he went public with his displeasure, without revealing any details due to the NDA. He has his line drawn in the sand, and any idea that doesn't involve exactly replicating the PA pension, in size and scope, is a fail, which I agree with. But until Mike says that he has read the legislation, everything being suggested are merely ideas or opinions, and can be changed several times before pen is put to paper.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sun 11 Sep 2016, 13:49

tks guys, Who knows what they will dream up next..have a great one, VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 Sun 11 Sep 2016, 13:41

I really don't know anything but from what I get from the statement by Mike is maybe they will , when and if , they bring in the new life long pension include that pension as part of the income replacement of the veteran , I hope Mike provides some more info, but it sure got him pissed off at the government and he was pro liberal prior to this

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 11 Sep 2016, 13:37

Johnny, the best way I can explain it, based on what I read, it would be similar to the CPP clawback of the CF pension,, where they reduce your CF pension, by a certain amount if you start to collect CPP. So if the your new disability pension is say $1000/month, it could reduce your ELB by a couple hundred dollars per month. The actual amounts are anybody's guess, but anything over $0, is too much.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 11 Sep 2016, 13:27

That is the whole rub of things. If you take a lump sum, it's tax free, and doesn't affect your income replacement. But if you take a monthly disability, it's possibly taxable AND reduces your income replacement? If the LSA is considered for pain and suffering, then so should the disability pension, since it is the same benefit, just the option of how you receive it is different. There are already benefits to compensate for loss of income and loss of employment, with ELB and CIA/CIAS. But the monthly pension will be based solely on the symptoms of the disability, just like the PA and LSA, not on the affect it has on your ability to work.

I can't help but wonder if the lawsuit that Lawnboy brought up, where the judge denied deducting her RCMP pension, and LTD from her settlement for lost income, but allowed them to reduce it by the PA pension amounts that she had received, has anything to do with this new position?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sun 11 Sep 2016, 13:20

1sea0shell33 - Hi, as I have a hard time figureing out what it is that was proposed due to my head spacing, could you spell it out for me. I cant seem to wrap my noggin around what you guys are talking about..tks, VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 Sun 11 Sep 2016, 09:19

If anybody , I believe, has inside information regarding this, it's Mike! Whether you like his approach or not the guys done a hell of a lot for us veterans especially getting us in the media! I hope he provides some more information because this issue, if true, will be a real kick in the nutz for all new veterans. I can't see how, with the Sisip LTd lawsuit , how they could deduct , include pa pain and suffering award as future income replacement consideration? Wouldn't that go against the whole lawsuit and what was won? Most likely if true, I believe there's some merit to what Mike heard or was proposed because I heard the same sort of thing coming from my Vac Cm, then it will apply going forward but who really knows

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2016, 07:57

While I appreciate everything that Mr. Blais does for the veteran community, it's not a sound strategy to make claims of this nature without substantial facts to back it up. The comment is vague to say the least. I had reservations as to whether or not I should make this possible issue its own topic on CSAT, but felt it to important to ignore. This could have far reaching consequences for veterans and their financial well being, if in fact it has merit. I sincerely hope that it's false.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2016, 07:14

Well it's about time Mike wakes up and finally sees the light, the Liberals promise to reinstate lifelong pensions is nowhere near what Mike thought it would be. Being optimistic is one thing, but with no solid progress reports from the Liberals on the Lifelong pension, it's just one more smoke & mirror tactic used by the government to fool Veterans into thinking this implementation will satisfy Veterans. As I said before, these stakeholder meetings are a fracking joke, they hold these meetings to use Veterans and Veterans groups as a prop for PR. Nothing that benefits Veterans in a new and proactive way comes from attending these meetings. We are stuck with this government for 4 years, we can continue to attend these meetings and continue to be used as PR puppets, or we could wake up and change our tactics to focus on mass public protest. Protest may not always be the answer, I understand this, but given the choice between advocating directly to the Minister where the government holds all control, and holding mass protest where Veterans have full control, I would think that taking the approach of focusing mainly on protest and boycotting direct advocating would give us a much better chance of success. Oct 4 is a good start, but it should not end there, all focus should be on protest moving forward. Allow the whole Country to see and understand what Veterans want, and what the government is doing about it. We all must remember that those 15 promises made to Veterans by the Liberals can be implemented by the Liberals in any way shape or form, they don't have to be implemented in a way that Veterans want it to be, or the way Veterans think they should be, as long as they are implemented by their end term, they, the Liberals have in their mandate set out for Veterans , fulfilled their commitment to Veterans. This has been my opinion for quite some time now, nothing that I have seen has changed my way of thinking, it is, what it is, and to continue to attend these useless meetings, in my opinion only fuels anger among the Veteran community. The only way I see holding the government to account today is to boycott face to face advocating and start taking control of our file by organizing mass public protest. JMO

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 11 Sep 2016, 02:38

The thing is, the article doesn't say who is making that claim. Is it other stakeholders like the RCL, or is it VAC? Honestly, if they bring in a pension that is taxable, which is the only way they could classify a portion as income replacement, the equitas lawsuit will have a field day in court, proving how NVC recipients are treated as if they are less deserving than those of us under the PA.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 Sat 10 Sep 2016, 22:37

Has anyone read the Facebook page of the CVA? What Mike just stated doesn't sound good. He states the government wants to include the pain and suffering award in the income replacement program? Does anyone on here have any idea what Mike is talking about?

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down