Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Functional Capacity Assessment

+6
Unknown Soldier
EZRider
Figowa
czerv
bigrex
Yump5555
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Functional Capacity Assessment  - Page 3 Empty My issue with functional capacity

Post by Figowa Tue 09 Feb 2021, 09:49

I don't want to expose too many details because I'm paranoid of me complaining (more like conern) will be be noticed.

This like a two-parter.

Basically when I did mine I did injure my shoulder on the one lifting motion on the first day.

On the second day, I did much less with the same exercise because it was still sore. Ok on the lighter weight, but had to stop. Needless to say that
affected the other lifting tests (diminished) as well.

Of course days later, my shoulder was still sore and figured it would gradually pass without working it, but I never thought of writing up an accident report.

The assessor was well aware as they were there (obviously).

Has anybody done this before? This came up for me because the same area affected has be getting more intense sore (albeit months later), compared to the usual simmering after the assessment.

With my current condition, flare ups and delays in pain is a common occurance as I take each day a few hours at a time (complex).

The kicker is that at the end of it all they still assessed me to a 40 hrs a week, medium duty capability to work (!?!?) Rolling Eyes My doctor recently mentioned to me after learning of my "back to work" plan through VAC and CVVRS that I shouldn't be going back to work. Its not that I don't want to work, but what I'm being pushed into isn't going to be good for me, but nobody listens.

At what point will my doctor's input have weight behind it?

Since medical release being at home I muster up maybe 3-4 hours a day (avg) of work to do around the house on a good day. Never mind the days I can barely walk/move.

Figowa
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2021-02-08

Back to top Go down

Functional Capacity Assessment  - Page 3 Empty Re: Functional Capacity Assessment

Post by czerv Fri 28 Apr 2017, 17:53

Yump5555, thank you so much for this info.
It does not sound good. Looks like they are causing more injuries to people going through that stupid assessment. Looks like job making project for themselves.
When you are done with them (get their assessment) report that therapist to their board.
That is what I am going to do when done with the test and dealing with one like yours.
Not looking forward to it. More people report that abuse to the boards that certify or licence them the better ( not for them).

Thanks again

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Functional Capacity Assessment  - Page 3 Empty Re: Functional Capacity Assessment

Post by Yump5555 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 17:07

They gradually increase the weight of pushing, pulling, lifting etc.. by small increments. Starting at 2lbs then 5lbs, 10lbs etc.. To be honest I found the testing to be very negative towards my health conditions and the therapist had no sympathy for any concerns that I had. She was a 4th party that was hired by the 3rd party CVVRS of which then reports back to Veteran Affairs. Seems to be a lot of people involved if you ask me

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Yump5555 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 17:02

I actually completed the FCE last week. It was held over 2 days. It was around 3-4 hours per day. A lot of pushing, pulling, bending, walking on treadmill, lifting objects, stairs etc... it was the same both days and the therapist told me that this was done to test your weaknesses after a day of the physical tests. I suffer severe dizziness and I found a lot of the physical testing caused me to be more dizzy then normal because if the constant up down side to side movements. I was not happy however that the therapist advised that her job was to push you to your limits.

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Fri 28 Apr 2017, 15:08

Yump5555, have you done the assessment?
Any points to share?

Thanks

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Mon 10 Apr 2017, 09:09

Thanks bigrex. This is great info about that assessment (how they play it).
I am still this stupid and 'soldier on' when it comes to assessments and, of course, it doesn't help.
Thanks again, I will keep this in mind when my turn comes up.
Cheers

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 08 Apr 2017, 10:55

I have undergone this assessment, and it was done over 2 days. They had me lifting a milk crate with weights inside, from the floor to a waist level shelf, and back to the floor, as many times as possible. They had me pushing and pulling a weighted sled. There was also grip strength, and they also time how long I was able to stand without pain, and how long I could sit in one position before needing to adjust myself. They had me walk around the parking lot, as long as I could, before needing to stop, assessing both my endurance, but also my gait. There were also dexterity tests, where I had to remove a bunch of small pegs from hole one side of a board, and place them in holes on the other side of it, to test my fine motor functions. It's been several years, so I forget exactly everything they did, but you get the idea of what to expect.

So my suggestion to you, is whatever they have you doing, stop as soon as you feel pain. I know that it's hard to fight the urge to soldier on through the pain, just like we did while in uniform, but that will only hurt you in the long run. Also, you are being assessed from the moment you walk in the office. They made me wait around 15 minutes in the waiting area, just to see if I behaved differently when I thought I wasn't being watched.

Good luck.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Functional Capacity Assessment  - Page 3 Empty Functional Capacity Assessment

Post by Yump5555 Fri 07 Apr 2017, 16:27

My case manager sent me to CVVRS and I have been advised that I have to complete a Functional Capacity Assessment. Has anyone been through this? What can I expect as my physical abilities are very limited.

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3