Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Canada Revenue Agency Disability Tax Credit

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Canada Revenue Agency Disability Tax Credit Empty Re: Canada Revenue Agency Disability Tax Credit

Post by Guest on Fri 03 Apr 2020, 18:54

(This comment has been personnel deleted by Justin Trudeau the leader of the Communist Party of Canada)

Back to top Go down

Canada Revenue Agency Disability Tax Credit Empty Re: Canada Revenue Agency Disability Tax Credit

Post by Ppclicaper on Thu 02 Apr 2020, 19:15

I just recieved my DTC approval today . In the approval box it states January 2001-2025. So using DTC this year when filing . Kinda glad I held off on my taxes. As for the 10 years , their was a box on the application form that if you check off , CRA automatically does a reassessment for prior years.10 previous years if your disability went back that far . I have recieved no further info on my CRA account or by mail. Should be soon . Will keep updated

Ppclicaper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2019-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt on Tue 08 Oct 2019, 14:20

Dove96 wrote:I was still in the military until 2009.
It is always up to their discretion how far back they go I am not sure what criteria they use.

Its up to what your doctor stated....

How do I claim the DTC refunds of previous years?
According to the CRA’s regulated taxpayer relief provisions, if you were eligible for the DTC in previous years but did not claim it when you filed your return, you can request adjustments for up to 10 years in the past.

While filling out form T2201, ask your doctor to thoroughly indicate when you became markedly restricted in your daily activities. You may be eligible to retroactively claim the DTC depending on that date.

To make a retroactive claim, you need to submit an adjustment request for your tax returns for all pertinent years. The request is made either online using CRA’s My Account service or mailing a T1ADJ form to the CRA. On this form or when using My Account, you should indicate that you are asking for an adjustment to line 316 of your return.

An adjustment request must be filed for each year you wish to claim the Disability Amount.

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager on Tue 08 Oct 2019, 12:53

Alright cause my condition started in 2006 as well and I served until 2015 was just approved a few months ago and they went back the full 10 years. Usually they go from time the condition began.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 on Tue 08 Oct 2019, 11:33

I was still in the military until 2009.
It is always up to their discretion how far back they go I am not sure what criteria they use.

Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt on Tue 08 Oct 2019, 11:11

Teager wrote:Dove96 why did they not back date to 2006? They can go back to a max of 10 years.

Ive had mine since 2011 and was backdated 8 years..If you are under 49 dont forget the Disability savings plan

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager on Tue 08 Oct 2019, 11:06

Dove96 why did they not back date to 2006? They can go back to a max of 10 years.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 on Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:41

It can also be backdated. There is a box to show when the disability started. When I first applied in 2011 my doctor filled out that it started in 2006. The CRA backdated the benefit by 2 years. I refiled my taxes to reflect the benefit. It helped a lot.

Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager on Mon 30 Sep 2019, 11:13

I got mine approved in August applied middle of April. Mine took longer as they had to request more info from my doctor but they sent me a letter apologizing for the delay and that they had sent that request.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 29 Sep 2019, 20:21

Takes about 3-5 months. If deny you can submit additional info and that the appeal takes about 60 days or less. Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Vetwife123 on Sun 29 Sep 2019, 15:00

Does anyone have an estimate on how long after they applied that they got word if they were approved or denied?

Vetwife123
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager on Sat 29 Jun 2019, 07:05

Bigrex if you have any previous copies that your doctor filled perhaps you could show the new doctor what was written. You might get lucky and she will copy it with any other new info.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 23:03

I've been getting it since 2004, and I was just told I need it renewed. But I'm worried, because my family doctor who I've known since I was 20, just retired. So now I have to go to a doctor, who I've only met once, to get the paperwork filled out. I'm worried that she won't know what to write, to get it extended. It took her over a week, just to send a referral to VON, to come in to do wound care for open leg ulcers caused by the lymphodema. And they still showed up here unprepared, because she didn't tell them what to expect, in her orders. I'm sitting here with several abdominal bandages, wrapped around my leg, until tomorrow.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4043
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 22:02

Sure go ahead. They can only approve or deny. I have never put in for it tho. I have read the requirements and I simply don't qualify. You can be disabled and not be able to work and still not qualify for it. But again... put in for it and they can only do 2 things... approve or deny.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 12:47

Justagrrl wrote:Would it be worth it for me to try to apply for this?  I was on LTD for 13 years, I tried to return to school/work and after 3 years, I am back on LTD and have recently received a DEC designation.

Thanks in advance...

Cool

Justagrrl,

Yes! You should apply...I think every person with a disability should apply for this tax credit.. Of course not every disabled person is guaranteed approval but it's worth a try at least. My husband use to curse and swear every time he did our taxes because we owed mucho $$$ but now with the DTC, we break even.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t2201.html

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum