Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diminished Earnings Capacity (DEC)

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Diminished Earnings Capacity (DEC) - Page 2 Empty Re: Diminished Earnings Capacity (DEC)

Post by czerv Sat 18 Aug 2018, 14:47

Sorry, still do not get the numbers game. For the sake of round numbers, lets say that:
One gets 10,000, then 90% is 9,000.
75% (SISIP) is 7,500
15% (VAC) is :1,500
Sisip: 7,500 - 1000 (CPP)= 6,500
If VAC deducts (CPP) then 1,500 - 1000= 500 then I am short of $1000 ! I am paying them.
Which part I am not getting in this math?

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earnings Capacity (DEC) - Page 2 Empty Re: Diminished Earnings Capacity (DEC)

Post by czerv Sat 18 Aug 2018, 14:33

Thank you bigrex.
VAC messed up my $$ to the .... blood boiling point and it will take them to 'review' their numbers 12 weeks! (if I were to believe them). It will be the same 12 weeks that turn to 16 weeks decision.
Unbelievable incompetence with these bureaucrats.

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 18 Aug 2018, 13:56

SISIP is the first payer, So if your ELB 90% amount is $4800, your 75% from SISIP amount would be $4000. Now if you get CPP, of  $1000/mo, even though they are technically supposed to be deducted by both, it should look like this

SISIP $4000
- CPP $1000
= SISIP $3000.

ELB  $4800
- CPP $1000
-SISIP $3000
= ELB $800

So if you are on ELB, the total amount of all your income cannot equal less than the 90% amount, regardless of deductions.

Edit. That is why, if you get back pay, always let SISIP know first. So when you contact VAC, you can let them know what the previous deductions made for SISIP were supposed to be, so that they don't both deduct that money at the same time.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Sat 18 Aug 2018, 10:35

If one is with SISIP/Manulife at 75% LTD and VAC at 15% LTD/ELB (or whatever they call it), it is my understanding that SISIP/Manu is first to deduct/offset/reduce the $.
Is that correct?

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Aug 2018, 09:47

Nemo wrote:Taken direct from the ELB form are the incomes considered when calculating how much ELB you will get from VAC after they deduct sources of income from the following

CPP or CPP disability
QPP
SISIP LTD
CFSA
PUBLIC SERVICE SUPERANNUATION
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE COMPENSATION
WCB
ECONOMIC LOSS PAYMENTS FROM LEGAL LIABILITY e.g. Court damages, auto injuries
OTHER EMPLOYEE PENSION PLANS
EI
EMPLOYMENT EARNINGS
SELF EMPLOYMENT EARNINGS

here is a question for you, if someone was ELB, and applied for regular canada disability pension and was approved, that $1000 or so would be subtracted from ELB...but what if a vet is declared DEC,which is ELB til 65,and also applies for regular.Canada Disability, would that still be deducted from DEC as nothing really changed other than the title and duration?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Aug 2018, 18:21

Nemo wrote:You are right Bigrex. EI has limits as to when you can apply for it. And EI for medical reasons is very limited.  IF I understand what they have written on their site, if you have not worked and paid into EI in the last 52 weeks you get nothing whether healthy or sick. And if on sickness benefits for EI that lasts a max of 15 weeks.
thx ,I looked into all that too.to be safe I'm going to apply in case VAC pulls the ELB safety net out from under me

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Wed 15 Aug 2018, 15:05

You are right Bigrex. EI has limits as to when you can apply for it. And EI for medical reasons is very limited. IF I understand what they have written on their site, if you have not worked and paid into EI in the last 52 weeks you get nothing whether healthy or sick. And if on sickness benefits for EI that lasts a max of 15 weeks.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 15 Aug 2018, 13:48

I believe there is a time limit to apply for EI, after losing a job, so I don't think you can just bank it, in case your ELB is cut off after a few years.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Aug 2018, 00:38

Nemo wrote:I suggest contacting VAC and ask them about your LIRA.  I can give my interpretation of what is my best guess but suggest you  go directly to VAC for the answer. I would go to my VAC account and use the secure messaging and  then you would have a written reply to refer to.
well l cant draw from my LIRA for a few years yet, so I'm too concerned.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 18 Aug 2018, 00:37; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earnings Capacity (DEC) - Page 2 Empty LIRA

Post by Nemo Tue 14 Aug 2018, 23:50

I suggest contacting VAC and ask them about your LIRA.  I can give my interpretation of what is my best guess but suggest you  go directly to VAC for the answer. I would go to my VAC account and use the secure messaging and  then you would have a written reply to refer to.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earnings Capacity (DEC) - Page 2 Empty Incomes considered for ELB

Post by Nemo Tue 14 Aug 2018, 23:46

Taken direct from the ELB form are the incomes considered when calculating how much ELB you will get from VAC after they deduct sources of income from the following

CPP or CPP disability
QPP
SISIP LTD
CFSA
PUBLIC SERVICE SUPERANNUATION
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE COMPENSATION
WCB
ECONOMIC LOSS PAYMENTS FROM LEGAL LIABILITY e.g. Court damages, auto injuries
OTHER EMPLOYEE PENSION PLANS
EI
EMPLOYMENT EARNINGS
SELF EMPLOYMENT EARNINGS

Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2018, 19:33

Nemo wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
Nemo wrote:****And I must correct myself . Your LIRA will be considered as income when they calculate ELB
how can that be when l cant access the Lira money for years to come, or are you just talking about the cash portion
true but in addition to the locked in portion there is a few grand cash given up front ,does that money have to be declared as l have instant access to it...once l get it

If you are not eligible yet to withdraw from your LIRA then you are not getting income from it. Then it would not be considered as income.  

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Tue 14 Aug 2018, 13:24

Artie Simm wrote:
Nemo wrote:****And I must correct myself . Your LIRA will be considered as income when they calculate ELB
how can that be when l cant access the Lira money for years to come, or are you just talking about the cash portion

If you are not eligible yet to withdraw from your LIRA then you are not getting income from it. Then it would not be considered as income.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Tue 14 Aug 2018, 11:56

Be very careful dealing with those morons from VAC.
If Sisip/Manulife is deducting/offsetting/withdrawing your CAF Pension, CPP(D), etc., make it clear to VAC. Otherwise, those geniuses from VAC will start doing it again and .. try to sort that one with them ... . Good Luck.
Just my two cents

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2018, 11:33

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next