Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'They don't give a damn'

2 posters

Go down

'They don't give a damn' Empty Fighting to be heard --- one veteran’s battle

Post by Guest Fri 04 Aug 2017, 14:39

Fighting to be heard --- one veteran’s battle

Published on Friday, August 4, 2017

'They don't give a damn' WebsiteRichardLeslie

Ken Waddell
The Neepawa Banner

Richard Leslie is a WWII veteran who lives in Brandon. As you can well guess, he’s now in his 90s. He was only about 21 years old as WWII drew to a close. He participated in the Normandy invasion, the liberation of Holland and the defeat and occupation of Germany. When it comes to war, he has seen it all. His trouble today is that while he may have also heard it all too, he can’t hear it all today. Leslie is pretty much deaf. Anybody who meets him and talks to him can figure that out.

He has files and files of paperwork. His medical and hearing tests show his level of hearing loss. He gets a regular veteran’s pension and some compensation for severe freezing or frostbite of his hands and feet.

But when it comes to his hearing loss, which started with the artillery blasts and the intense noise of battles he experienced, Veterans Affairs Canada said they wouldn’t help him. Leslie says, “Why are they beating on me, there is no reason for it?” Leslie’s MP had tried to help him, but a rep from his office says they have been turned down. The lady at the MP’s office said, “If it was up to me, I would help every vet.” But VAC didn’t see it that way, they refused to pay for Leslie’s hearing aids for years. Or at least they did until recently. Leslie went public. He went to the Brandon Sun and to us at the Neepawa Banner. The Sun story came out last week and within days, Leslie was told by VAC he will get his hearing aids paid for. On top of that, he has been told he will get a hearing loss pension and back pay.

It’s not as if Leslie can’t pay for them himself. “I can afford them,”He said. However, hearing aids are very expensive and Leslie says whether he can afford them or not isn’t the point. After all the years of military service and all the years he has worked, he thinks as a vet, he and other vets should be compensated. Leslie explains that he “is not without means” and has owned his own property for years. “I have owned my house for 50 years” It’s not the money that motivates him, it’s principles that inspire Leslie to do what he is doing. It was the recent $10.5 million settlement to Omar Khadr, a Canadian citizen but convicted terrorist, that really set Leslie off. Commenting on the Khadr case, he said, “Isn’t that a kick in the ass? Don’t you think that settlement hurts a guy. The fight I am putting up may help someone else who can’t help themselves. If I can win this fight, it will help a lot of others.”

It appears Leslie may have won “his” battle but he and many others, this writer included, wonder why it has to be a battle? How can a convicted terrorist be compensated to the tune of $10.5 million and a 90 plus year old veteran have to fight for hearing aids. Even if it could be proven that Leslie didn’t have his hearing damaged by military service, why would VAC deny him hearing aids? Hopefully Leslie’s battle is over but likely every surviving vet will have to fight for what a logical person would offer them freely. It just isn’t right.

A spokesman for Veterans Affairs Canada, when asked about Leslie’s situation, of course ran for cover behind the often repeated phrase, “I can’t comment on individual cases due to confidentiality.” The spokesman did say, “I won’t say this is just a coincidence,” when asked about the apparent sudden turn around or change of heart by VAC. Leslie has a stack of paper stating that he doesn’t qualify for compensation for his hearing loss.

VAC sent this response, which certainly doesn’t explain Leslie’s refusal and the sudden change of heart by VAC. The response is included below for readers benefit. As to the sudden turnaround, it’s anybody’s guess. My guess is VAC saw the heat coming from Leslie’s very public appeal and they ran for cover. Veterans like Leslie shouldn’t have to fight that hard, especially after they fought so hard as members of our military. Leslie survived WWII, many of his compatriots did not. Leslie may have won this battle, one that he should not have had to fight. He may have won the bigger battle as he said he did it for others that couldn’t fight for themselves.

It should not have taken this long, or even been a fight at all.

Veterans’ Affairs Canada response:

Good afternoon Ken,
I’m pleased to provide you with a response to your query on behalf of the Department. Thank you for the opportunity to comment.
The care and well-being of Veterans and their families is a priority for Veterans Affairs Canada, and we are committed to ensuring Veterans have access to the services and benefits to which they are entitled.
The Department is legally bound to protect client privacy/confidentiality, therefore we cannot comment on a specific Veteran’s case.

Hearing Loss Decisions

In fiscal year 2015-16, the Department made 5,247 hearing loss decisions, of which 55 per cent were favourable. Decisions are based on evidence presented and legislated eligibility requirements.
Applicants who are dissatisfied with a decision from Veterans Affairs Canada have recourse options.
Those who have new evidence or can demonstrate there was an error made in the decision can have their decision reviewed by the Department.

The arms-length tribunal Veterans Review and Appeal Board (VRAB) offers Veterans two levels of redress. The first level is a review. If an applicant is dissatisfied with a VRAB review decision, they have the right to an appeal hearing. While a Veteran’s decision is under review by the Department or by VRAB, free legal help is provided by lawyers working with the Bureau of Pensions Advocates, a nationwide organization of lawyers within the Department.
If a Veteran has exhausted all redress options at the Board and remains dissatisfied, they have the right to apply to the Federal Court of Canada for a judicial review of the decision.

Eligibility for Benefits

Every situation is unique and we work with Veterans on a case-by-case basis.
Veterans who believe they have a disability related to their military service are encouraged to apply to Veterans Affairs Canada for assistance and can contact the department through our toll free line (1-866-522-2122), or our Web site (http://www.veterans.gc.ca/).

A hearing loss disability can be considered to be partially or entirely caused by service factors.
The patient’s history, physical examination and relevant test results are considered along with audiogram findings. The cause of hearing loss cannot be determined from an audiogram alone.

Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) reviews information from military service health records to establish the link between a disability and military service. VAC obtains the service health records directly from the Department of National Defence or Library and Archives Canada on behalf of applicants.
The applicant may provide additional information or supporting documents to show, for example, that they served in a noisy occupation or were exposed to significant noise, their hearing on enlistment or enrollment was worsened by service, decibel losses or hearing loss during service and/or on discharge, or other service-related causes for the hearing loss. A post-discharge or current audiogram is required with the application.

It is important to note that additional services and benefits may be available to assist Veterans with hearing conditions. For more information, please see: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services.

Sincerely, Marc Lescoutre

Media Relations Officer
Veterans Affairs Canada

http://www.mywestman.ca/community-news/6966-fighting-to-be-heard-one-veteran-s-battle

These are the kinds of things happening under the current Minister of Veterans Affairs, Deputy Minister of Veterans Affairs and the Veterans Ombudsman's watch. where all three are publicly saying that this charter is better than the old pension act, and they all continue to state they have the best interest of all disabled Veterans and their families. How can we have confidence in any of them that they actually do have the best interest of all disabled Veterans and their families when we read stories such as this one? How many more stories just like this one is out there? I guess it just proves my points from other post that all three are looking after themselves, they are allowing our file to be run by the bureaucrats and they continue to gain time towards their own pensions, and of course in our Ministers situation continue to take the expensive trips travelling around the world on our tax dollars!

Trooper

Back to top Go down

'They don't give a damn' Empty Re: 'They don't give a damn'

Post by Guest Thu 27 Jul 2017, 16:47

This is the kind of news advocate groups need to exploit.

Forget about the meetings where nothing is being accomplished except for feeding the governments PR system.

This is a new tactic that should be addressed or used by all advocate groups, contact the person and have public media exposure with all of the Veterans details in the form of public protest showing the whole Country the heartless system that Veterans face. Show that the system is not only unfair, but also shows absolutely no benefit of doubt!

Bruce,

You need not worry about his privacy as he gave that up when he voluntarily agreed to show his Identity, and his story to the media.

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Thu 27 Jul 2017, 15:21

RNC-Retired,
All common sense and logic has gone out the window at the VAC Offices.  What do they know! The loudest noise VAC decision makers most likely hear is the occasional fire alarm. I guess the soldiers durning Second World War were all wearing 'military issued' noise cancelling ear muffs! They need to give their heads a good shake!

If anyone finds out information regarding if funds are being collected for Richard Leslie's hearing aids, I would like to contribute money towards the cost as well.  I don't have much but I do have alittle saved for a rainy day... It's not raining, but I would like to help if I can!

Cheers,
By the Bay

By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Jul 2017, 07:52

RCN-Retired wrote:Flipping VAC and that fat useless Minister we have should be ashamed of themselves. Fighting in a war with guns going off all around a person, bullets flying and these idiots tell a 92 year old hero he was not exposed to enough noise in their opinion. Where is our other useless veteran helper the Ombudsman? Christ these things make me upset. If this vet needs money for his hearing aids i would gladly buy them for him. Deny, delay, die....VAC at its best.

RCN, I have contacted edebooy@brandonsun.com at The Brandon Sun. I asked him how much do Richard Leslie's, a 92-year-old retired master warrant officer, hearing aids cost. If I hear from him I will let you know, and if the cost isn't out of this world, I'll help pay for his hearing aids as well.

I have not attempted to contact retired MWO Leslie directly, to try and preserve his privacy.

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Thu 27 Jul 2017, 01:26

Flipping VAC and that fat useless Minister we have should be ashamed of themselves. Fighting in a war with guns going off all around a person, bullets flying and these idiots tell a 92 year old hero he was not exposed to enough noise in their opinion. Where is our other useless veteran helper the Ombudsman? Christ these things make me upset. If this vet needs money for his hearing aids i would gladly buy them for him. Deny, delay, die....VAC at its best.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

'They don't give a damn' Empty 'They don't give a damn'

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jul 2017, 12:35

'They don't give a damn': Brandon veteran speaks out after being denied Veterans Affairs funding for hearing aid

By: Erin Debooy
Posted: 07/25/2017 3:00 AM

A decorated war veteran in Brandon said he feels let down by his country after Veterans Affairs Canada refused him funding for a much-needed hearing aid.

Richard Leslie, a 92-year-old retired master warrant officer, is deaf in his right ear and cannot converse without an outdated hearing aid in his left ear — a consequence of his exposure to heavy artillery and explosions during the Second World War, he said.

Veterans Affairs has denied both his initial request for funding and his appeal. A letter from Veterans Affairs, which Leslie shared with The Brandon Sun, states that "according to our Departmental Entitlement Eligibility Guideline for Hearing Loss, there is no evidence you were exposed to enough noise during service to cause permanent decibel losses."

The response is something Leslie takes issue with.

"I’m not even a citizen anymore. They’ve wrote me off as a nut. They don’t give a damn," he said. "They took my blood, they took my energy, they took my life. Now when I want something back, they won’t give it to me. Some days you get a little ugly."

Leslie joined the Canadian Forces in 1943, shipping off to England when he was only 19 years old.

"I landed in England in a bomb raid," Leslie said, adding the experience was quite a shock.

Moving with the 1st Battalion Lincoln and Welland Regiment, Leslie was fighting along the Maas River as they attempted to cross the German lines.

"Unbeknownst to us, (the Germans) were breaking through on the bulge … there were 10,000 to 20,000 Germans ready to make a move," Leslie said. "Three regiments were dashed down to the river and at exactly 5 o’clock in the morning every gun, artillery piece … tanks, plus all our guns fired at once. There were 10,000 shells in the air."

The memories are still raw for Leslie, who broke down sobbing while sharing his experiences of war.

"We advanced and found a trench the Germans had used. We cleaned it up and put up sandbags and a machine gun," Leslie said. "They were continuously shooting at us with machine guns. They brought the artillery down onto us … within 50 feet. My buddy said, ‘I think I can get that sniper, I can see him down behind that brick building.’ We had a little notch — a four-inch square in the sandbags — and a bullet came through and touched him."

Leslie still remembers his friend sitting back with a gasp after being hit, leaning back in his chair to demonstrate how he fell. Leslie said he bandaged him up and checked for a pulse, but he was gone.

"Two and a half days later, I still had him with me. I still hadn’t got out of the trench. My hands were frozen, my feet were frozen," Leslie said.

In an effort not to freeze to death, Leslie rolled himself out of the trench and was picked up and taken to a medical tent. His shoes had to be cut off his feet.

"I went through many battles, I had hearing problems (even back then)," Leslie said. "We had the guys running around with Red Cross patches on them. They were trained in first aid but they weren’t doctors … They’d give me some cotton batten and oil so (my ears) wouldn’t hurt, and I’d go back to duty."

In the grand scheme of things, hearing was the last thing on anyone’s mind back then, Leslie said.

"I would wear cotton batten in my ears for weeks at time. They’d gradually get better, my ears would swell inside. But you’re walking, you’re talking, you’re still healthy. There’s only three ways of getting out of the front line — bleeding that they can’t stop, bones protruding or you’re dead," Leslie said.

Now, the hearing loss is taking its toll.

Leslie is unable to answer or converse over the phone, as all he can hear is muffled noises. He says he often feels isolated, especially when out in public.

"It’s not the best. If I go out for supper and there’s six people at the table, I can’t understand any of them … I’m totally lost. So I sit back and shut up, which is hard for me to do," Leslie said with a chuckle. "It separates you from people."

When reached for comment, Veterans Affairs Canada said it could not comment on a specific veteran’s case, as the department is legally bound to protect client privacy and confidentiality.

"The care and well-being of veterans and their families is a priority for Veterans Affairs Canada, and we are committed to ensuring veterans have access to the services and benefits to which they are entitled," a Veterans Affairs spokesperson said via email.

In 2015-16, the department made 5,247 hearing loss decisions, of which 55 per cent were favourable, the spokesperson said. Decisions are based on evidence presented and legislated eligibility requirements.

Leslie said he hasn’t given up, and is looking at other options he has — including going before the Veterans Review and Appeal Board with the assistance of a lawyer. However, the board is most likely in Winnipeg, and he doesn’t have approval from his doctor to travel.

Despite his disappointment with the department, Leslie said he doesn’t regret his career in the military.

"You’re always a proud soldier. I’m proud of what I’ve done, I’ve done my best," Leslie said. "All I want is support now … I need support."

http://www.brandonsun.com/local/they-dont-give-a-damn-brandon-veteran-speaks-out-after-being-denied-veteran-affairs-funding-for-hearing-aid-436430123.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down