Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silence on Life Time Policy

+22
Panserbjørn
By the Bay
bog6
czerv
Teager
BinRat
AirLog
Supremedebater
Dannypaj
Armygunner
propat
Rubicon
SaintJohn18182
vaincre
bigrex
bosn181
Vet1234
Teentitan
pinger
Iceman
LostTrucker
johnny211
26 posters

Page 1 of 35 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Go down

Silence on Life Time Policy Empty Re: Silence on Life Time Policy

Post by By the Bay Thu 04 Jan 2018, 11:46

Bog6,

Your right! Training the CMs will take time! Heck...most are still getting the policies wrong for PA and NVC! I have heard complaints where some Veterans applied for VIP benefits and were denied because their CM said they were not entitled to that benefit but they were entitled! In some situations, the CMs will assume that they are right and put their own spin on the rules even though the policies clearly states who is entitled to each benefit.  It happens....and this is why this forum is so important! Experienced Veterans who know the legislations and policies help guide/support Veterans who need help navigating through the back-assward policies.

It still baffles me why the Minster of Veterans Affairs didn't make the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance monthly pay rates equal to the CIA/CIAS. Or give veterans who are receiving EIA the option to switch over to CIA/CIAS benefits.  I guess supporting FAIRNESS for Veterans is not apart of the Liberals' Progressive Values platform for Equality, Fairness, Inclusion and Diversity!

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bog6 Thu 04 Jan 2018, 09:42

Hi, would take some stress off a if they just could have had a policy and procedures in place to deploy as soon as Jan 1 hit. They most likely have them in place to come up with figures but it will take that long to train all the CM's..

I am DEC and receive EEL and EIA..tried to get CIA and the supplement but due to the policy i am not entitled..crazy i miss out on over 2000 per month...in the interest of the Veteran...

i asked CM where i stand with the new changes and CM could not answer it with confidence..cant blame them if they are not trained on the new system either

get on the bus , get off the bus....

bog6
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Thu 04 Jan 2018, 01:59

Thanks Propat!

That clears a few things up!
Now all we can do is wait....and wait....and wait!

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Wed 03 Jan 2018, 18:07

no by the bay you are not wrong at all you are in fact right on the button .they can change and create all the legislation they want in any manner they see fit but should have to pass the constitutional and charter smell test and it only applies going forward . going backward or retroactively if you will is another ball of wax altogether .

like the PA pension it is still in effect and they can not change the EFFECT of it negatively on any person or entity to witch it is already applied . in this case the effect is the amount paid out and to veterans .

they can go back and change the name of the PA pension and other things but can not change the effect it has on those veterans to witch it already applies.

so for this reason I do not think they will risk the inevitable loss in a very public court battle just to frack the relatively few vets this effects when they know without fracking them they can frack every future vet that comes without ANY legal implications whatsoever .

not saying they will not give it a shot evil is as evil does but with a relatively small upside that would likely be nullified in short order and a big downside I really cant see it .

as far as I recall or have ever heard of no lifetime benefit has ever been taken away from any Canadian who was in receipt of said benefit for any reason outside of the reasons stipulated in the existing legislation at the time .

now I have looked for reasons in witch they could cancel it in the existing legislation and all I could find is what I posted earlier .

frack knows what these butt clowns might try but I don't think you have a lot to worry about at this time .

just need to relax and wait for the legislation and regs ta see what they are really up to and go from there .

until these are studied and picked to the bone I would NOT be applying for ANY of these new benefits AT ALL .

that may be their bait and switch for existing CIA recipients . make it look great and have them to voluntarily opt into the new plan ????

your guess is as good as mine but ill tell ya this I aint goona be the test dummy for that one lol.

always question authority

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Wed 03 Jan 2018, 17:09

Propat,

You mention that 'they NORMALLY don't frack over current vets with a lot of legislations changes'.

I think I would breath easier, if I knew what a Minister can do or can not do when changing legislation and rules pertaining to Veterans benefits.

Such as, has there ever been a time where the Minister has seriously changed a benefit's legislation or taken away a benefit altogether?
From what I can remember from Uni, my Political Studies Professor suggested that certain legislations can not be cancelled or negatively changed...They can only make additions to those certain legislations.  I can't remember if this was factual or an assumption on his part!
I had assumed that once a legislation has been established, the minister can not cancel that benefit for those who are currently receiving it and can only replace that benefit to those future vets under a new pension. Kinda like what they did with Pension Act and New Veterans Charter.  Please correct me if I am wrong!

By the Bay

Last edited by By the Bay on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 20:21; edited 1 time in total
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Wed 03 Jan 2018, 10:36

yes by the bay ya got some real good points but right now we have to take all of this with a grain of salt until we see the legislation and regulations .they NORMALLY don't frack over current vets a whole lot with legislative changes because of the whole freedom of speech thing they really hate it . not so with future vets as they are still serving military members and their freedom of speech is somewhat limited . these are normally the targets to get screwed over by the GOC just because its a lot easier . I'm guessing this is the case here .

now he SAID you will not receive less or something to that effect and we all know what a politicians word is worth . so we have to wait and see if that statement is translated into the regulations .

yup it doesn't look good for future vets but your CIA and SUP were granted for life . legally they can not take it away except for reasons stated in the legislation and regulations at the time it was granted .

45 (1) A person who is in receipt of a career impact allowance shall provide, on request, medical records, reports or any other information or documents that are necessary to enable the Minister to assess the person’s continued eligibility for the career impact allowance or the amount payable.

(2) The Minister may suspend the payment of a career impact allowance to a person who fails to comply with subsection (1) until the information and documents are provided.

(3) Before suspending the payment of a career impact allowance to a person, the Minister shall provide the person with written notification of the reasons for the suspension and the effective date of the suspension.

46 On cancelling the payment of a career impact allowance under subsection 40(2) of the Act, the Minister shall provide the veteran with written notification of the reasons for the cancellation, the effective date of the cancellation and their rights of review.

now does this change look like a set up and a big problem ?? yup sure does but to know the full impact we really need to see the legislation and regs . a politicians words mean very little to me.

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Wed 03 Jan 2018, 01:02

Hi Ya'll,

This information was NOT mentioned in VAC Pension for Life Facebook Live Announcement.

I currently receive 2019.00 a month for my CIA/CIAS benefit.
How can the Minister of Veterans Affairs say that NO ONE WILL LOSE MONEY on their monthly income!
Well if they take away CIA/CIAS....I will lose 2019.00!
According to VAC Overview of Pension of Life," Two additional existing benefits Career Impact Allowance and Career Impact Supplement have been replaced with a one percent adjustment to account for a Veteran's lose of potential career progression. For eligible Veterans this will be added once a year."

This lost of potential career progression has already been granted to me through CIA benefit and now I have to earn it by collecting 1% each year until I reach 60 years old! How is this 1% going to equal $ 2019.00 which is currently what I receive from CIA/CIAS??? What happened to being "grandfathered" in?????

I am under the Pension Act, I am deemed DEC, and I received SISIP LTD! And I had zeroed out on the ELB top up because I was a lower ranking member so VAC Income Replacement does not apply to me!  
I am Totally Disabled....I was told that CIA/CIAS is for life...

My spidery senses are telling me that they planned this from the beginning...They changed the PIA\PIAS which focused on disability impairment and changed it to CIA/CIAS which focused on Career impact.....Why would they implement changes to the PIA\PIAS making it CIA/CIAS to allow for more veterans access to this benefit only to ABOLISH it two years later? They changed it so that they could get rid of it!  They planned this! They announced their reasons for this name changed so more Veterans would be entitled to this benefit.  They changed the term Totally and Permanently Incapacitated to Diminished Earnings Capacity....so it would look like they didn't take anything away from the totally disabled vets....
Like I said, they didn't mention this part in their Facebook live announcement!
And what happens to our DEC status?
Plus...The Pain and Suffering Compansation is only for those Veterans receiving Lump Sum or Monthly PSC payment...Does not apply to Pension Act Veterans! So the liberal screwed us all...Pension Act Veterans lose their PIA/S and the NVC Veterans lose their CIA/S....

By the Bay

Last edited by By the Bay on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 01:52; edited 2 times in total
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Tue 02 Jan 2018, 19:18

I think that they will bite the bullet and continue to pay NVC vets that receive CIA/S what they currently get paid. If and when the new 1% system would pay a vet more, they will start adding the one percent. I dont think they have the legal legs to reduce funding for Vets currently in receipt of higher benefits yhen the new system provides.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Tue 02 Jan 2018, 18:35

I msgd VAC the other day as well Vet1234 on the same issue

proposed PFL changes

My Question

From the information VAC put out your canceling the CIA and CIA(S)
and replacing it with a 1% added to IRB for each year for people
who have less than 20 years service.

Two additional existing benefits—Career Impact Allowance and
Career Impact Allowance Supplement— have been replaced with a
one percent adjustment to account for a Veteran’s loss of potential
career progression. For eligible Veterans, this will be added
once a year.

My question is what happens to us veterans that received and
qualified for the PIA and PIA(S) now called CIA and CIA(S) for
non career progression reasons? the minister said no veterans
will lose money but from what i have been reading it looks like
i will lose 1700 dollars a month.

VAC Response

Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure email services.

In response to your request for information on the new Pension
for Life announcement, we only have the limited information that
was provided in the announcement. More information will be released
closer to April 2019. No application process has been put in
place at this time.

If you have any further comments or questions, please contact
us again via My VAC Account, or at our toll free number 1-866-522-2122.

So if a veteran that is receiving the CIA and CIA(S) and has served more than 20 years isn’t eligible for the new career 1% progression benefit added to IRB do people really think VAC will make up the old CIA/CIA/S total (although non-taxed) through the APSC benefit for us non-NVC veterans. Something tells me if you get CIA at level 3 now you will only get the lowest APSC rate if they choose this route.

Cheers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Jan 2018, 18:24

So just like I heard via legion that the CIA and sup are gone. How is one percent of ELB a year cover that? And be the same or more? Sounds like a screwjob to me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Tue 02 Jan 2018, 15:41

I msgd VAC the other day.

I wanted to know if my benefits could be reduced with the new IRB replacing the CIA/S.

this was the response
(they responded twice, the first msg they said CIA/S was staying after the changes)

"I apologize for the misinformation. Yes, the Career Impact Allowance
and Career Impact Allowance Supplement have been replaced with
a one percent adjustment 
to account for a Veteran’s loss of potential career progression.
For eligible Veterans, this will be added once a year. The specific
details relating to the impact to your account cannot be determined
at this time, however following the implementation you will not
receive less funding. "
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Silence on Life Time Policy Empty just in case you missed it panser this is what we talking about instead of sitting tying with anger get out and help

Post by bosn181 Fri 29 Dec 2017, 11:35

johnny211 wrote:Good day all. I want to wish all you on here Merry Christmas. I also want to thank my brothers for helping each other. And no matter how complicated the system gets, it’s is the obligation of us the older injured to help the younger Vets. We may argue and bitch, but we need to be united.
  Thank you bosn181. He is a part of our brotherhood of OSSIS Vets here in PEI. This man has helped countless Vets, who had nothing. It’s Vets like bosn181, who I appreciate for his work. I have seen my brothers rise and survive after his help with the process.
  I look back 20 yrs. That’s how long I have been appealing claims and fighting the system. I am on of those 100 percent, but under both systems. Like a lot of you I have a lot of physical and mental injuries. We have all been there, and seen some horrible things. But in the end we are Brothers in Arms. So put the helmet on, cuss, fight, complain. But most important of all, Do Not Turn On your Brother.
   Ok this old cranky Rad Op has gone on enough. Take care of each other. And if you know a Vet alone this holiday, reach out too him or her.  All the best in 2018 Brothers..VVV...

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Fri 29 Dec 2017, 11:32

panser if you need a hug you will have to come to the other coast we try our best to help our fellow vet out here and don't sit back just typing things. i hope your able to get out and help more in your area and if reading my posts of getting out and helping them makes you feel sad thats ok kid hopefully someone else in your area will get out and help the ones vac left behind instead of just typing on a computer about how angry people are that it's a broken system the ones out there with no help don't care how much more anyone gets or how you or i feel about vac they just want some treatment and benifiets the ones that don't understand the system are the ones hurting the most so instead of being angry get out and help your fellow vet once again have a merry xmas and a happy new year. santa

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Fri 29 Dec 2017, 10:32

By the Bay thank you I appiciate your kind words . as always a little lake of tranquility in at times a very blustery place. ya when the increased the ELB that was a good thing but again following another pattern of fracking the ones on the lower end of the totem pole changed the minimum from CPL to PTE kicking the most in need right in the the teeth. with the new legislation it looks like future vets , the lower 88% may loose a pile of money . cant say for sure mind you need the legislation and regs to be citrine of anything no matter how you see it . but hey when they come out maybe they will break with all there well established patterns and it will be a good thing . there is always hope .

always question authority

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Panserbjørn Fri 29 Dec 2017, 05:45

Bosn... You are the biggest troll I have ever encountered on this forum. You seriously need to take a look at yourself and realize that you need to come back to planet Earth. I am literally shocked. I hope your wife isn't as dilluted as you are. Would make for some pretty interesting conversations at home.

I barely know Wildthing and I would take him watching my back long before I would even trust you to be around me let alone hold a gun.

Do us a favor...

Stay calm
Have a beer
Understanding your peers goes a long way.
Truly try to appreciate the information you are given.

Try to understand where we are coming from.
Hate will only harm you.
Even when you are lost, we can guide you.

Forever vigilant.
Urgent care will be there for you.
Carry your fellow man.
Know that it is a struggle against the few.

Up will be the only way from here on out.
People will need our words.

Do you see what I am trying to say? I doubt it but if you need to I am sure someone else can pm you.

I am done with you. I will be ignoring every piece if verbal/literature diarrhea that you spew here. Which probably means I will have to ignore everything you say.

- Panserbjørn

Panserbjørn
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2016-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 35 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next