Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VAC short changing veterans check your assessment of years left to serve CIA

5 posters

Go down

VAC short changing veterans check your assessment of years left to serve CIA Empty Re: VAC short changing veterans check your assessment of years left to serve CIA

Post by czerv Sun 21 Jan 2018, 11:17

Just swamp them (VAC) with request for new assessments based on that news (of being shortchanged). If they do not have enough work with files then that should fix it.
I will also cc Ombudsman and this new Minister.
They should explain clearly how they calculate it. It seems that it depends on what genius at VAC is calculating all of that sh**. Imagine, what is going to happen next year with all this 'improved' programs that they are coming with.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

VAC short changing veterans check your assessment of years left to serve CIA Empty Re: VAC short changing veterans check your assessment of years left to serve CIA

Post by BinRat Sun 21 Jan 2018, 09:46

Yes you can get CIA without being DEC, but to get CIA Supp they pretty much say you need to be DEC.

Now as per your CIA, usually they only give you grade 3 CIA.
when they changed it or re-vamped it to include the Time remaining in Service, from what it was looking like
was that Unless you were deemed DEC your CIA grade stayed the same, even if you had 15 year's you could
of served.
People who had Grade 3, and were deemed DEC, then they were upgraded to Grade 2 or even Grade 1 CIA
depending on how many year's ya had you could of served to that 20 or 25 year mark, depending on which
they were using.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Jan 2018, 01:29

BinRat wrote:Actually we did have a long discussion on this when it came out, and the Big thing then was, they sent the Denial or no change letters without actually
looking at veterans files, just to get things sent out and done..

Myself, when I received mine, No I wasn't DEC, but I was in the process of being determined to be DEC. But in the Letter they stated we reviewed your
file and find bla bla bla..
And I brought this up to my CM, and said really, they didn't look at my file or they would have seen were we were, and she said she had many others
who had problems with these letters as well.

I dunno if I can remember where that thread is, but Yes we had a large discussion on this earlier

Once I got DEC, my CM asked for a re-assessment on that, and as far as I know, I think it's coming up to a year, and still no answer on it..
Hmmm
based on the video it says only 133 veterans were affected/fixed...sounds like everyone here was $%$# over, not just those 133

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Jan 2018, 01:26

bigrex wrote:Artie

thee way they are doing the CIA  calculations, are based off a possible 25 year career for everyone. So if you are DEC, and you have less than 10 years of service, you get the highest grade of CIA. More than 10, but less than 20 years of service gets grade 2, and 20 years or more gets grade 3. That is of course, unless you meet the disability criteria for a higher grade.

I`m CIA, but not DEC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Jan 2018, 01:24

bigrex wrote:I still think that basing CIA on solely on time served is wrong. They say it's to compensate for less time to build onto your pensionable service, but in order to get CIA based on your service, you need to be deemed DEC, which also makes you eligible for EELB, which completely deducts any money you would get from a CF pension anyways.
Now I'm not saying that time in shouldn't play a part in the calculations for CIA, but if it's fair to compensate for short service in one benefit, then it shouldn't be fair to penalize for longer service for other benefits. So they should remove the CF pension from the list of deductions under ELB, and allow those veterans to benefit from the pensions that they earned.
Well, considering I knew nothing about CIA until last year ( a full decade after release). I`m out a bit of money as they do not do retro pay?

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Fri 19 Jan 2018, 22:13

okay not gonna edit again,

ya I did a poll about it here, and BigRex had said to early to do a poll on it..
https://csat.forumotion.com/t4226-see-if-we-can-t-get-a-count-here

but still looking for the thread link

BinRat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Fri 19 Jan 2018, 21:55

Actually we did have a long discussion on this when it came out, and the Big thing then was, they sent the Denial or no change letters without actually
looking at veterans files, just to get things sent out and done..

Myself, when I received mine, No I wasn't DEC, but I was in the process of being determined to be DEC. But in the Letter they stated we reviewed your
file and find bla bla bla..
And I brought this up to my CM, and said really, they didn't look at my file or they would have seen were we were, and she said she had many others
who had problems with these letters as well.

I dunno if I can remember where that thread is, but Yes we had a large discussion on this earlier

Once I got DEC, my CM asked for a re-assessment on that, and as far as I know, I think it's coming up to a year, and still no answer on it..
Hmmm

Last edited by BinRat on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 22:11; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : was adding link but wrong link my bad)

BinRat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 19 Jan 2018, 16:59

My husband handles all my VAC paperwork and he didn't notice the error until after this story was aired on the News.

I was in the service for 2 years before I was medically released from the Military. I was shortchanged by 23 years of service! Sad
In my CIA Decision Letter, I was granted a grade 2 but that was based on their incorrect auditing. They stated in my CIA Letter that a portion of their decision was based on having LESS than 6 years left to serve! OMG! I was in the military for 23 years?
I must have slept through it! Plus, I would have been 11 years old when I joined! Shocked

According to our Veterans Ombudsman, I should be receiving a Grade 1 with having a DEC determination and having MORE than 15 years left to serve.  So I sent VAC a message a few days ago! And I have been trying to call them but the wait times were too long that my cordless phone battery keeps dying. So everyone who received a CIA benefit, please go check your CIA decisions letter to make sure they got your service time right!

Cheers
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 19 Jan 2018, 16:33

Artie

thee way they are doing the CIA calculations, are based off a possible 25 year career for everyone. So if you are DEC, and you have less than 10 years of service, you get the highest grade of CIA. More than 10, but less than 20 years of service gets grade 2, and 20 years or more gets grade 3. That is of course, unless you meet the disability criteria for a higher grade.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 19 Jan 2018, 16:26

I still think that basing CIA on solely on time served is wrong. They say it's to compensate for less time to build onto your pensionable service, but in order to get CIA based on your service, you need to be deemed DEC, which also makes you eligible for EELB, which completely deducts any money you would get from a CF pension anyways.

Example: three equally disabled veterans are released at the same time, and all deemed DEC. One had served 4 years and was a first year Cpl, the second served 15 years as a MCpl, and lastly a Sgt who served 25 years. They made $5014, $5516 and $5995 per month respectively (based on current pay rates).

Veteran #1 get 90% ELB ($4512/mo), with no reductions (return of contributions are not taken into account). Plus he gets Grade 1 CIA and CIAS ($1828 + $1120), because he had more than 15 years left to serve. Total monthly income of $7460

Veteran #2 gets 90% ELB ($4964/mo) which is reduced by his 30% CF pension. Then he gets grade 2 CIA and CIAS ($1219 + $1120) , because he had more than 5 years left to serve, for a total of $7303.

Veteran #3 gets 90% ELB ($5395/mo) minus his 50% CF pension. Then he only gets grade 3 CIA and CIAS ($609 + $1120), because he served over 20 years. His total monthly income is $7124

So even though Veterans #2 and #3 served several times longer than Veteran #1, before becoming totally disabled, they are actually making several hundred dollars less per month, in spite of their pensions.

Now I'm not saying that time in shouldn't play a part in the calculations for CIA, but if it's fair to compensate for short service in one benefit, then it shouldn't be fair to penalize for longer service for other benefits. So they should remove the CF pension from the list of deductions under ELB, and allow those veterans to benefit from the pensions that they earned.

Last edited by bigrex on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 16:34; edited 1 time in total
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jan 2018, 16:06

bulldozer wrote:good article artie this was based on a 25 year contract but when i joined it was a 20 year contract and then got out after 16 years  so guess so i guess ill be getting the lower amount
Is that in fact how it works? i.e. I was medically released in 05 after 15-16 years, so did I lose out on 5 years of pensionable time ( 20 year contract) or 9 years ( 25 contract). back when I first joined I think contracts were, 3,3, then 14years = 20. but what were final contracts by 2005, 25 years ? I don`t know.

Back to top Go down

Post by bulldozer Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:21

good article artie this was based on a 25 year contract but when i joined it was a 20 year contract and then got out after 16 years so guess so i guess ill be getting the lower amount
bulldozer
bulldozer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down