Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pension for Life reply from VAC

+11
bosn181
Teager
Teentitan
bigrex
lyonhart
johnny211
czerv
Nemo
Armygunner
skidsteer
Vet1234
15 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pension for Life reply from VAC Empty Re: Pension for Life reply from VAC

Post by LostTrucker Tue 01 Jan 2019, 14:55

bigrex wrote:Well, so much for the promise to provide everyone their PFL calculations by the end of the year.

At this point we have been lied to so much.....I think if they actually kept a promise we would be suprised.  I'm sure if it was good news they would of been bragging long ago
LostTrucker
LostTrucker
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 01 Jan 2019, 14:06

Well, so much for the promise to provide everyone their PFL calculations by the end of the year.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sun 23 Dec 2018, 15:18

Steelgunner - say it ain’t so, another lie, and delay fm VAC. And fm the top to boot. Ah well, quess we see them in Jan - March. I think a lot of eyes are on these letters before there out to us, lawyers, bean counters, etc. But anyway Johnny wishes all of you on here a Merry Christmas. And remember to raise a glass, and think of our Brothers and Sisters deployed. Because we’ve all been there, and know how it feels. Tks Deployed Tps.. Johnny Out. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Dec 2018, 14:47

johnny211 wrote:Hope Remberance Day was OK for all Brothers and Sisters out there. Being in Charlottetown, I always head to VAC HQ for free coffee after the Pde here. I had a chat with Walt. I asked him point blank, when we will see a PFL calculation letters. He replied that all letters will be out before end Dec. in case anyone was curious. Johnny Out..VVV

Only a few days left in December, did Uncle Walt lie to us? Tic Toc

No PFL update yet to date.

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Tue 11 Dec 2018, 18:59

Well lets all hope so..

Like myself, in April if the offer is there for a Lump, I'd be taking it, Guess it's finding out that 3 weeks ago my Ex-Wife who was 3 year's older then I was Passed away.

Like Exarmyguy said 200 a month, Blaa I could do more with the Lump sum then waiting 30 give or take year's to get a total of like $72K

But one thing though that comes to mind Just thinking about it, Like I said, I'd take the Lump sum, but what happens if I put in and get approved another claim, how bad is that going to get.
LSA = 10% = $36K - already received from PFL Lump Sum as a cash out, so now on LSA Vac will Recovery $$ from the LSA probably from your New LSA.

Dunno how it all will work out down the road..

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Tue 11 Dec 2018, 14:08

Binrat that would make the most sense and be the most fair I would certainly hope that's what happens. For some reason I don't think that's what will happen. If that was the case then I'm sure every vet would take the lump sum knowing they would still get a reduced monthly amount.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Tue 11 Dec 2018, 12:31

Teager wrote:On the flip side you already received a lump sum so now your getting a bit more per month vs anyone putting a claim in April 1 they have to choose between the current lump sum or or monthly. If they take the lump sum that's it that's all no more. So it sucks both ways more so for new claims.

Well I don't read it that way, cause this part..

Q. How many people will benefit from the Pain and Suffering Compensation benefit?

A. On April 1, 2019, an estimated 74,300 Veterans previously in receipt of the lump sum Disability Award will transition to the additional monthly amount; approximately 60% of these Veterans are expected to receive an additional monthly amount based on the new PSC monthly benefit rates. As of March 31, 2023, an estimated 97,300 Veterans will have received lump sum or monthly compensation from Veterans Affairs.

As I read it it's gonna be the same, you'll get your Lump sum or monthly if you want it that way, or take part lump sum and remainder as a Monthly pay out, then they'll do the Calculations to your 84th Birthday, and get any additional added on

BinRat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Dec 2018, 10:32

exarmyguy wrote:
Teager wrote:Please note VAC has done a poor job of separating those that already received a lump sum vs new claims April 1. If you already received a lump sum you will be getting monthly only if eligible. If you have a new claim then you have a choice.
correct..... so instead of getting say 200 a month for 30 years = 72,000 which you could invest or do something with you will get the 200 a month which does very very little.  makes no sense to be honest
It`s all just a version of Liberal "double talk

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sun 23 Dec 2018, 18:35; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Tue 11 Dec 2018, 10:19

On the flip side you already received a lump sum so now your getting a bit more per month vs anyone putting a claim in April 1 they have to choose between the current lump sum or or monthly. If they take the lump sum that's it that's all no more. So it sucks both ways more so for new claims.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by exarmyguy Tue 11 Dec 2018, 09:50

Teager wrote:Please note VAC has done a poor job of separating those that already received a lump sum vs new claims April 1. If you already received a lump sum you will be getting monthly only if eligible. If you have a new claim then you have a choice.
correct..... so instead of getting say 200 a month for 30 years = 72,000 which you could invest or do something with you will get the 200 a month which does very very little. makes no sense to be honest

exarmyguy
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2018-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Tue 11 Dec 2018, 08:15

Please note VAC has done a poor job of separating those that already received a lump sum vs new claims April 1. If you already received a lump sum you will be getting monthly only if eligible. If you have a new claim then you have a choice.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Tue 11 Dec 2018, 06:58

I thought there was another thread on this, could be couldn't find it so I'll reply here..

"What is being debated/figured out is if those vets can cash that amount out as a lump sum if they so choose."

Well According to this page and FAQ I found this.. Well Questions and Answers..

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/pension-for-life
Scroll to Bottom to Questions and Answers, Click on Category, and select Pain And Suffering Compnsation

Q. If you choose the monthly payment option, But want to take the money as a LUMP SUM
   At a Later Date, Are you Able??

A. Yes. You can choose to cash out the benefit and receive the balance owing, which is the difference between the monthly amount already paid and the applicable lump sum amount.

Q. Are Older Veterans Disadvantaged By the creation of the New Pain And Suffering Compensation.??

A. No. Veterans are able to choose if they would like to receive the Pain and Suffering Compensation as a monthly payment or lump sum, whichever option works best for them. To help with this choice, Veterans Affairs Canada will pay up to $500 for Veterans to access financial counselling or advice services from a provider of their choice.

Q. What is Pain and Suffering Compensation ??

A. The Pain and Suffering Compensation is designed to recognize and compensate CAF members and Veterans for the pain and suffering they experience due to a disability caused by a service-related illness and/or injury. It is not intended to replace income, which is why the PSC is not taxable.

Based on the member or Veteran's assessed extent of disability, the PSC benefit potentially entitles Veterans up to a maximum of $1,150 a month for life. Veterans and members can also opt to cash out their payments at any time. The intent is to provide the choice of how to receive this benefit, while encouraging recipients to continue the monthly payment.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Mon 12 Nov 2018, 20:54

No, I was just using the max as an example. If you take your example you can take 10% of $1150 which is $115 a month for life.

Anyone who has received an award since April 1 2006 will have a calculation done to see if your entitled to a monthly payment. What is being debated/figured out is if those vets can cash that amount out as a lump sum if they so choose.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Nov 2018, 20:28

Teager wrote:It means anyone putting a claim in April 1st or later can receive a Max PFL of $1150 for life or you can take the $365 lump sum if rated 98%-100%

If you already received a lump sum award then VAC will be performing the dark magic on your file to see what reduced PFL you will be able to receive.
so does all of this PFL only have a bearing on troops who were awarded max disability payment after 2006, I.e $360000. What about vets for example that get a 10% disability after April 1 2019, vac is going to offer to divide $36000 by the years in the rest of your life.?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Mon 12 Nov 2018, 17:59

It means anyone putting a claim in April 1st or later can receive a Max PFL of $1150 for life or you can take the $365 lump sum if rated 98%-100%

If you already received a lump sum award then VAC will be performing the dark magic on your file to see what reduced PFL you will be able to receive.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next