Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PSHCP and turning 65

4 posters

Go down

PSHCP and turning 65 Empty Re: PSHCP and turning 65

Post by Dove96 Tue 30 Jan 2018, 09:30

Sun Life covers us when we go out of Province or out of Country. We live 10 minutes to the border and I like to travel to warmer climates.
I guess we keep both insurances.
Hospitalization at our level pays $60 per day for a semi-private room. Not an issue as most rooms are semi private in our hospital and I and my husband don't mind wards. More people to talk to.

As for paying - it depends on the Provider. My dentist and pharmacist just charge the 20%. My optometrist charges the full amount and send in the form/bill to Sun Life for reimbursement (up to $250) on frames/lens and 80% on eye exams.

I hope this answers some questions. I wasn't sure exactly what you were asking.
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:58

What about hospitalization costs that come with PSHCP? What about extra medical coverage when traveling outside the country?

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:25

good info there dove thanks for that. I have heard it was a good system but without any details . so good system I'm guessing no dental . now if ya don't mind can ya tell us for curiosity's sake is it a pay to play system ? if so what are the costs ?

thanks again

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

PSHCP and turning 65 Empty VA Pay for Veteran's insurance

Post by Dove96 Mon 29 Jan 2018, 08:50

Thank you for your answers.

My husband turned 65 and is a Veteran (not disabled). I am the disabled Veteran and have 7 years to go before 65.
Ontario's OHIP covers a lot of medications after 65 over 4400 common types plus some over the counter meds, diabetes stuff, eye exams, physio etc.
There is a website to cross reference meds if they are not on the list. It is a nice system.
I am definitely keeping the dental even though I am fully covered by VA he is not.

Last edited by Dove96 on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 09:08; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Oops. I got the info wrong so removed it.)
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Mon 29 Jan 2018, 08:23

if you can manage to keep it i for one would i know mine cost around $75 a month and wife says it saves us a great deal more than it cost seeing vac covers most everything for me, but having her covered is still worth it.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Sun 28 Jan 2018, 12:05

that is a good question dove one I have never considered . I'm not entirely sure but it would be a province by province answer I'm sure .when it comes to oldie coverage the fledgling program in NB is up in the air right now so should be considered non existent for safety sake . I'm not citrine but I don't think PEI has one at all . the one in NS I have heard comes at I relatively high cost . now that is according to my father probably one of the cheapest guys on the face of the earth so take that with a grain of salt .

I no nothing about the Ontario program sadly but hopefully someone from that area with some knowledge of it can chime in and other areas as well .

thanks for the interesting question

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

PSHCP and turning 65 Empty PSHCP and turning 65

Post by Dove96 Sun 28 Jan 2018, 09:42

When you turn 65 and now have access to the oldie prescription (and other) benefits, is PSHCP, in general, no longer cost effective?
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down