Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MEFLOQUINE

Go down

MEFLOQUINE Empty Re: MEFLOQUINE

Post by Riddick Sat 24 Apr 2021, 14:53

I am not involved with this as I chose not go the way of Mass Tort so, my understanding of how and where this stands from a legal perspective is very limited.

I would suggest that anyone who has interest in this to contact Howie Sacks, Henry, Miller and or Waddell Phillips. I am familiar with John Dowe and believe he is a very good advocate with no ulterior motives (IMO).

I suspect the longer this takes the more the government will pay in the end (and yes.....veterans too). Because our PM (and past PM's) along with MVA's who held the position continue to fail it's vets and soldier they will end up in a crisis (so will Canada as the word is getting around not to join the military because you will not be looked after in the way of injury (the recruiting numbers are way down and for valid reason, not COVID!). Coupled with how woman are treated and the clowns on the Hill and those in charge of the CAF/DND continue to protect the guilty one's (which I can now understand the arrogance of how some believe they are "untouchable").

Riddick
Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 508
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Fri 23 Apr 2021, 19:47

Riddick wrote:FYI

https://www.hshlawyers.com/expertise/mass-tort-class-action-litigation/mefloquine/

I never thought this would be successful from the beginning.....I thought this Mass Tort should have been a Class Action....yet in this article they are referring to it as a "Class Action?"........but what do I know.

So now, everyone (soldiers, vets etc) are going to pretty much have to start at ground zero if they wish to pursue??  Should have gone with MDLO IMO

Riddick
lm just dumb grunt, what does this mean in plain English? The only involvement l had with it was when the law firm initially asked if l ever took Mefloquine in theatre and l provided the details of my ordeal. So am l to understand from this, that a court case is still being pursued but IF there is a payout only the 10 or so soldiers actually named in the original court case filing, we see a dime.?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 503
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

MEFLOQUINE Empty Mass Tort Discontinued

Post by Riddick Thu 22 Apr 2021, 12:43

FYI

https://www.hshlawyers.com/expertise/mass-tort-class-action-litigation/mefloquine/

I never thought this would be successful from the beginning.....I thought this Mass Tort should have been a Class Action....yet in this article they are referring to it as a "Class Action?"........but what do I know.

So now, everyone (soldiers, vets etc) are going to pretty much have to start at ground zero if they wish to pursue?? Should have gone with MDLO IMO

Riddick
Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Riddick Sat 19 Oct 2019, 11:40

Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

MEFLOQUINE Empty More info from Paul Miller the lead lawyer on this.

Post by Teager Tue 27 Aug 2019, 09:55

MEFLOQUINE Screen10

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Mon 26 Aug 2019, 22:39

Thanks Riddick,

Clears that up.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Riddick Mon 26 Aug 2019, 22:36

Airlog:

Yes it is something ingested. Mefloquine (Lariam) is an anti-malaria drug. It is a malaria prophylaxis (to prevent) for counties with a high malaria risk. To employ an analogy; it is like peanut butter. Most will not notice any symptoms, some will experience minor symptoms while others can experience long-term side effects even causing damage to the brain stem!

Riddick
Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Mon 26 Aug 2019, 22:01

Is Mefloquine something you ingested or a chemical that you washed your cadpats in? I have been on a few tours and we had to soak our cadpats in a solution. No medication ingested.

Airlog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Riddick Mon 26 Aug 2019, 21:44

LumberJackJoe

I don't believe you were added as I believe in my limited understanding that this suit is of a "Mass Tort" vice Class Action. They are representing veterans/clients on a individual claim basis. If you believe you have used/were given Mefloquine it might be in your (anyone's) best interest to contact the law office of Paul Miller or Howie Sacks and Henry LLP.
Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LumberJackJoe Mon 26 Aug 2019, 19:06

I can not remember if I was added to this list of plaintiffs however I used meflooquine on my tour and that stuff messed me up.
604-378-0024

LumberJackJoe
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2018-11-19

Back to top Go down

MEFLOQUINE Empty MEFLOQUINE

Post by Riddick Thu 15 Aug 2019, 15:43

Update:

Paul Miller
Yesterday at 9:09 AM

To All Mefloquine Clients:

The following is a summary of the first case conference regarding the Mefloquine Mass Tort:

On August 13, 2019, we attended our first Case Management Conference before Prothonotary Furlanetto of the Federal Court.

The purpose of this attendance was to introduce the case to the Court and to work out scheduling next steps with the Government of Canada Lawyers (DOJ).

We advised the court that we have been contacted by over 2000 people, that we had been retained by 646 people, and that we would be filing 206 claims this week.

In addition, we pushed DOJ to provide us with their Statement of Defense so that we could focus on narrowing the issues.

Prothonotary Furlanetto was very pleasant, and agreed with this position. However, no formal Order was made on this matter.

In the interim, we will be providing DOJ with the names of all clients that have retained us, on a without prejudice basis, so that we can push them to produce their Statement of Defence by mid-September.

We will be continuing to pressure the government’s lawyers to outline their defenses so that we can move ahead with scheduling any potential “test trials”.

We anticipate being in front of the Court again in September, this time in person, and will advise of this attendance once it is scheduled.

We continue to push for remaining clients to return their retainer documentation so that our numbers can grow.

It is absolutely imperative that if you have received an intake form, please complete it and return to our office so we can get you the contract. If you are having trouble with the questions, please reach out to us and we will provide the necessary assistance.

If you have a contract and have not sent it back, please do so as quickly as possible. If you have any questions, please contact us so we can provide answers to you as quickly as possible.

At some point in the future, the court will ask us to finalize our list of Plaintiffs. Please get us your documentation as soon as possible
Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum