Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum
Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Re: Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 31 Aug 2020, 11:32

Riddick wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
Riddick wrote:I think.....

People with money....beit a lot or a little of disposable income, need to help the economy.  Prior to Covid, if you would go out for dinner once a week or once a month, it is essential you continue to do so.  Although one might not go to the restaurant, they can order out.  The best way to help ourselves is now to help everyone.  If we all hoard our money for the rainy day or what might come, is not good.  Everything will become more expensive.  We need to help the farmers, the people who serve the community like waitresses/waiters the retail etc.  Many have lost their jobs/income, their ability to contribute; those who can contribute should make a point in doing so....for the greater good.

In the news, I read that Canada's economy went down the fastest....mainly because we shut right-down.  It was a huge reason why we have been able to contain the virus as we have.  The experts are also saying the up-tick or the economy will also pickup faster because of such....but we all need to contribute to the economy by helping the economy.....which means ....spend money.  Help Canadians first as it always should be.

Riddick
l
In the first month of covid I actually thought this was going to be a wake up call for the people of the world to be kinder to each other but it quickly degenerated into every man for himself. But if this ever ends , it’s a sign of the times that Canada has to get back to its roots, we have to quit being so dependent on the US for ...EVERYTHING, if the border ever shuts between borders completely, it will become like the. Siege of a castle as we are surrounded and are eventually starved into submission. We need to start growing more of our own food, we definitely have the land, all the things we need to survive another epidemic need to be produced locally, sanitizer,masks,breathing machines, even if that means a business that went under becomes something else. I’m doing my part, to spend on the things I need, but fear keeps me from eating out, clothes shopping etc, if l don’t absolutely need it, l go without, but that’s just my hang up l guess.

Not being dependent on the US could prove to be very difficult as our two economies are intertwined.  Now.....how about not being dependent on CHINA!! I believe we should cut the apron strings with them a long time ago.  I would rather our money go to Canadians but there are politics involved...just look at our oil!  How about we pay our own.....build our own refinery!  pay ourselves and keep the money in our country....but you know that will never fly.  If we can't keep the money in Canada then the US is the next best choice, as we do benefit from our trade relations with them.  But to get back to our "roots" with have to come from the top....our leaders....and I think we could be told again.....we are asking for more than they can give!

Riddick
l just look at it from the prospective of if the covid # were reversed , if Covid was actually considered a “ Canadian” problem with numbers through the roof in every province, but relatively low in the US, Trump would have shut the border down tighter than an oil dump. He would stop even delivery truck traffic , we would suddenly have no products on our shelves. We are a society of over indulgence anyway, it’s time to turn back the clock to the 50s where you went into the store and there was just milk,butter,meat on the shelves, not a wall of a 100 kinds of yogurt. And people wonder why there isn’t enough money around so that people don’t have to live in poverty, it’s a world of excess. It wouldn’t be a matter of choice to trade with the US if they decided, they didn’t want to deal with us, we’d be screwed. Hence, we need to start producing all our own necessities again.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 509
Location : MIR
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Re: Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by Riddick Sun 30 Aug 2020, 20:37

Unknown Soldier wrote:
Riddick wrote:I think.....

People with money....beit a lot or a little of disposable income, need to help the economy.  Prior to Covid, if you would go out for dinner once a week or once a month, it is essential you continue to do so.  Although one might not go to the restaurant, they can order out.  The best way to help ourselves is now to help everyone.  If we all hoard our money for the rainy day or what might come, is not good.  Everything will become more expensive.  We need to help the farmers, the people who serve the community like waitresses/waiters the retail etc.  Many have lost their jobs/income, their ability to contribute; those who can contribute should make a point in doing so....for the greater good.

In the news, I read that Canada's economy went down the fastest....mainly because we shut right-down.  It was a huge reason why we have been able to contain the virus as we have.  The experts are also saying the up-tick or the economy will also pickup faster because of such....but we all need to contribute to the economy by helping the economy.....which means ....spend money.  Help Canadians first as it always should be.

Riddick
In the first month of covid I actually thought this was going to be a wake up call for the people of the world to be kinder to each other but it quickly degenerated into every man for himself. But if this ever ends , it’s a sign of the times that Canada has to get back to its roots, we have to quit being so dependent on the US for ...EVERYTHING, if the border ever shuts between borders completely, it will become like the. Siege of a castle as we are surrounded and are eventually starved into submission. We need to start growing more of our own food, we definitely have the land, all the things we need to survive another epidemic need to be produced locally, sanitizer,masks,breathing machines, even if that means a business that went under becomes something else. I’m doing my part, to spend on the things I need, but fear keeps me from eating out, clothes shopping etc, if l don’t absolutely need it, l go without, but that’s just my hang up l guess.

Not being dependent on the US could prove to be very difficult as our two economies are intertwined. Now.....how about not being dependent on CHINA!! I believe we should cut the apron strings with them a long time ago. I would rather our money go to Canadians but there are politics involved...just look at our oil! How about we pay our own.....build our own refinery! pay ourselves and keep the money in our country....but you know that will never fly. If we can't keep the money in Canada then the US is the next best choice, as we do benefit from our trade relations with them. But to get back to our "roots" with have to come from the top....our leaders....and I think we could be told again.....we are asking for more than they can give!

Riddick
Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 516
Location : Where I live
Registration date : 2015-03-19

RCN-Retired likes this post

Back to top Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Re: Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 29 Aug 2020, 19:24

Riddick wrote:I think.....

People with money....beit a lot or a little of disposable income, need to help the economy.  Prior to Covid, if you would go out for dinner once a week or once a month, it is essential you continue to do so.  Although one might not go to the restaurant, they can order out.  The best way to help ourselves is now to help everyone.  If we all hoard our money for the rainy day or what might come, is not good.  Everything will become more expensive.  We need to help the farmers, the people who serve the community like waitresses/waiters the retail etc.  Many have lost their jobs/income, their ability to contribute; those who can contribute should make a point in doing so....for the greater good.

In the news, I read that Canada's economy went down the fastest....mainly because we shut right-down.  It was a huge reason why we have been able to contain the virus as we have.  The experts are also saying the up-tick or the economy will also pickup faster because of such....but we all need to contribute to the economy by helping the economy.....which means ....spend money.  Help Canadians first as it always should be.

Riddick
In the first month of covid I actually thought this was going to be a wake up call for the people of the world to be kinder to each other but it quickly degenerated into every man for himself. But if this ever ends , it’s a sign of the times that Canada has to get back to its roots, we have to quit being so dependent on the US for ...EVERYTHING, if the border ever shuts between borders completely, it will become like the. Siege of a castle as we are surrounded and are eventually starved into submission. We need to start growing more of our own food, we definitely have the land, all the things we need to survive another epidemic need to be produced locally, sanitizer,masks,breathing machines, even if that means a business that went under becomes something else. I’m doing my part, to spend on the things I need, but fear keeps me from eating out, clothes shopping etc, if l don’t absolutely need it, l go without, but that’s just my hang up l guess.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 509
Location : MIR
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Re: Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by Riddick Sat 29 Aug 2020, 18:33

I think.....

People with money....beit a lot or a little of disposable income, need to help the economy. Prior to Covid, if you would go out for dinner once a week or once a month, it is essential you continue to do so. Although one might not go to the restaurant, they can order out. The best way to help ourselves is now to help everyone. If we all hoard our money for the rainy day or what might come, is not good. Everything will become more expensive. We need to help the farmers, the people who serve the community like waitresses/waiters the retail etc. Many have lost their jobs/income, their ability to contribute; those who can contribute should make a point in doing so....for the greater good.

In the news, I read that Canada's economy went down the fastest....mainly because we shut right-down. It was a huge reason why we have been able to contain the virus as we have. The experts are also saying the up-tick or the economy will also pickup faster because of such....but we all need to contribute to the economy by helping the economy.....which means ....spend money. Help Canadians first as it always should be.

Riddick
Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 516
Location : Where I live
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Teentitan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Re: Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by johnny211 Sat 29 Aug 2020, 15:05

Bigrex - I live in PEI, about 20 min fm Charlottetown. I fully agree with yr pts. Even if those 1400 employees where back to work, bought coffees, had the odd lunch, things as you say are not the same. People would mostly go to work, and rtn home. It might make a small difference, but not enough to keep the mom and pop places afloat. I can also see Mayor Brown,s pts. But there not going to change the federal gov minds.
As for the VA minister. Lawerance has been in Cabinet since 1988. He lives in St Peters , east of Charlottetown. He’s 73 yrs old. I’m thinking this might be his last kick of the can, and the PM gave him this as it’s the only a Federal Dept HQ on PEI. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 812
Location : Canada
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Re: Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 29 Aug 2020, 13:01

Teentitan wrote:Well the whole country is on Stage 3 of re-opening except the federal gov't.  

Safe for the country to return to work but NOT federal departments to return to work?

Canada is politically rudderless right now at the federal level and it is showing.  

If the Prime Minister can inject himself into the Provincial Education systems with $2 billion without ONE request from a Provincial Premier then the mayor of Charlottetown has every right to do what is necessary to save his city.  Especially when the Ministeyr of Veterans Affairs is from PEI and we have heard nothing but crickets from him.
on the one hand I see it, if Federal  places close up from too many sick the country halts even more, it sucks that Joes Boots & Belts goes under because, without concerts ,buskers etc, there is no foot traffic, as Big said , people are staying home and only buying necessities because they don’t know how long this is going to go on. They re opened A movie theatre near me and it was packed, but dr.s are still calling theatres a death trap, personally l can find any movie l want to see with my phone and project it to my tv. There are no real big. Movies out and it’s not worth the risk to me...I’m old, lol
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 509
Location : MIR
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Re: Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by Teentitan Sat 29 Aug 2020, 11:13

Well the whole country is on Stage 3 of re-opening except the federal gov't.

Safe for the country to return to work but NOT federal departments to return to work?

Canada is politically rudderless right now at the federal level and it is showing.

If the Prime Minister can inject himself into the Provincial Education systems with $2 billion without ONE request from a Provincial Premier then the mayor of Charlottetown has every right to do what is necessary to save his city. Especially when the Minister of Veterans Affairs is from PEI and we have heard nothing but crickets from him.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3364
Location : ontario
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Re: Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by bigrex Sat 29 Aug 2020, 10:15

Although I can sort of see his point, since PEI has only had 44 confirmed cases and 0 deaths, I don't think VAC should bear the brunt of the blame of their economic woes. I'm sure VAC doesn't employ every islander that would normally frequent all these businesses. Even if the HQ was opened, they would still have a limited staff, and I doubt they would be going around shopping and eating out, as if everything was normal. Most people are just not going out and exposing themselves unnecessarily. Here in Halifax, they've reopened the theaters, but the last time I drove past, there was only several cars parked in front, and most of those probably belonged to staff.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4061
Location : Halifax, Nova Scotia
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by Teentitan Sat 29 Aug 2020, 09:32

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3364
Location : ontario
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor Empty Re: Open federal buildings or risk ruin of small businesses: Charlottetown mayor

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum