Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VocRehab Schooling Not Suitable For Me.

3 posters

Go down

VocRehab Schooling Not Suitable For Me. Empty Re: VocRehab Schooling Not Suitable For Me.

Post by Figowa Wed 15 Dec 2021, 18:20

Get this...

Since I'm not getting the jab, I'm not allowed to even take ONLINE courses from the college I'm at.

I'm caught between these feels Evil or Very Mad Shocked Laughing

Figowa
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2021-02-08

Back to top Go down

VocRehab Schooling Not Suitable For Me. Empty Re: VocRehab Schooling Not Suitable For Me.

Post by Figowa Sat 27 Nov 2021, 18:38

Not only do I need to find something I find interest in, enjoy, adapt my learning style and be able to actually do the work, but I need to be assessed in reality.

You're job shadowing is great idea. Its the only way you'll know if its suitable for you. In this day and age, I must be transparent with a potential employer.

Early this year I thought I had a chance at a Tool & Die shop. The owner wanted to talk to me. Everything went well unitl I mentioned "military" and "medical release". His tone changed and seemed disinterested.

I don't know what VAC programs are like for "back to work", but ideally I need to be self paced or work from home.

If I had a business idea I'd pursue that, because mentally I can very driven with a favourable goal in mind.

Figowa
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 22 Nov 2021, 18:40

Hi All. It appears the voc rehab, has changed since I did it 8 yrs ago. Back then, and with my CM, I picked 2 trade courses I was interested in. Then we arranged with the College to Shadow both cases for a day.we also researched job prospects for my province and the country.
I settled and after a yr graduated. Got a great job, which I loved doing. But I have ptsd, as well as several physical disabilities. The concentration was too much. So I had to leave.
But looking back, doing a machinist crse, with fast moving machines, and complex cnc machines was not a good rd for me. So it’s a hard decision, and one that should not be forced into, just to save Vac funds..VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Figowa likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Figowa Mon 22 Nov 2021, 17:02

The career path they "choose" for you, based on CVVRS assessments would need to be suitable for you. Meaning, it doesn't exasperate your current health issues. Suitable would also mean having a true interest in it it. If its not suitable, it means a vocational impairment wasn't over come, let alone SUITABLE employment.

Would they consider flipping burgers "suitable" despite your 4 year degree?

Figowa
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by atarijedi Sat 20 Nov 2021, 23:47

VAC doesn't care if you get a job in the field they are spending money retraining you in. They only care that you get a job, any job.

They ignored my recommendation, literal proof that I failed the first time as I tried to go to college alone without VAC help and had to drop out after the 1st year for medical reasons (couldn't physically do it), they also ignored my doctors recommendation, all of it to not send me back into the same college program that I had already attempted, or any program that requires a similar level of physicality.

All they saw was that I was initially interested (and still am) in it, and that I had finished 1 year of a 3 year program. I did finish the program in the end, took a bit longer than expected, I still apply to jobs in that field, even gone on interviews, but I couldn't get a job in the field, and I still can't find a job in that field.

They all but confirmed my initial paragraph, they didn't say "we don't care" but they made it very clear that the objective of the program is to get you "a job", not "a job in your new field", and the realities of todays workforce is that, with the exception of the trades, you need at least a college diploma, and in a lot of cases, a university degree, to get even the most basic non-labour-focused job.

atarijedi
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2017-02-28

Jordy likes this post

Back to top Go down

VocRehab Schooling Not Suitable For Me. Empty VocRehab Schooling Not Suitable For Me.

Post by Figowa Mon 08 Nov 2021, 19:40

Was hoping it be a positive experience, but the schooling program I'm in does not interest me in the slightest, let alone if it will be suitable for me in terms of working.

Its funny how I've been set up for failure. with two case managers that don't listen or follow doctor's orders. Sad

Figowa
CSAT Member

Jordy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down