Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What To Do After You Lose IRB?

3 posters

Go down

What To Do After You Lose IRB? Empty Re: What To Do After You Lose IRB?

Post by Figowa Tue 07 Dec 2021, 05:53

At what point does DEC factor in?

After over a month of sitting on the medical consultation forms submitted by my doctor, VAC and CVVRS still need more information. Rolling Eyes

Figowa
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2021-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Fri 03 Dec 2021, 19:03

I was told l had to admit myself into a ptsd retreat for a couple of months , if l refused VAC said they would cancel my IRB. They tried to, but l was declared to possess a Diminished Earning Capacity by CVVRS/MoD before VAC could finalize their paperwork. Once declared to have a DEC all rehab ended and VAC had to back off.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Figowa likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Figowa Thu 02 Dec 2021, 09:56

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm definitely heading in that direction. I'm waiting for a psychiatrist office to contact me as recommended by two counsellors and my doctor. I've mentioned the schooling experience puts me under GREAT duress on many levels. I'm not an academic, so I shouldn't be forced into it. They keep saying "but you've been approved for it". Yeah, how's that working out now going into final exams and projects? I'm definitely experiencing and impairment with this.

I've shared many times with the parties involved of what would be ideal work/schooling environment  for me considering everything wrong with me, but they don't listen. Had the medical consultation forms filled out, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't listen to my doctor.

As for losing the IRB, wouldn't that be the financial hardship in itself? Right now the loss of the IRB (financial) is my biggest stressor. Who do you think is best to contact first if my case manager becomes difficult?

Figowa
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyB1 Thu 02 Dec 2021, 07:40

Hi there,
I found myself in a similar position when I began VOC rehab. I found the process was very frusterating as I was being pushed too hard and too fast. At the time I did not have the skills to tell my case manager, "No, I am not ready for VOC rehab". Instead, for weeks and weeks I pushed myself through the process. All the while my mental health declining - this was a big negative impact on myself and my wife and children.
Thankfully I was seeing a great therapist and psychiatrist at the time.
After much stress and self discovery I realized I needed to step back from the VOC rehab. I had been experiencing more suicidal ideation while undergoing the process. Before this point I had never shared my suicidality with anyone else. (Dangerous). Once I admitted to myself I was suicidal I found the strength to tell my case manager that I can absolutely no longer continue.
I told my case manager that I simply could not continue because of the suiciidal ideation and increase in negative symptoms of PTSD. I told her I didn't want to speak with the guy from VOC rehab (nice guy, just didn't want to have that conversation - none of his business). I just needed to be done.
You know what? I was done. I had been honest with myself for the first time and I got that terrible weight off my chest.
I don't know what your situation is so I can't speculate what you are going through. I can say that once I learned how to be truly honest with myself about what was going on inside my head everything slowly started getting better. I still religiously take my medication, see my therapist and psych etc.

To answer your question more directly: the legion, VETS Canada, wounded warriors, soldier on, there are many more as well. There is also the Emergency Fund for veterans, it is administered by VAC. You just have to show proof of your financial hardship and they can give you money for groceries, rent etc. This is for any veteran, no matter your IRB status.

Good luck and you are not in this alone.
JimmyB1 out.
VVV

jimmyB1
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2018-12-13

Figowa likes this post

Back to top Go down

What To Do After You Lose IRB? Empty What To Do After You Lose IRB?

Post by Figowa Wed 01 Dec 2021, 12:09

I'm currently anticipating the worst case scenario, so that I'm prepared in case I have the rug pulled out from under me for not completing (due to circumstances) my voc rehab.

Any organizations/financial/assist lines that can assist in these situations?

Figowa
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum