Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ive never heard anyone ACTUALLY say

+2
bigrex
meteck
6 posters

Go down

ive never heard anyone ACTUALLY say Empty Re: ive never heard anyone ACTUALLY say

Post by bigrex Mon 26 Nov 2012, 23:43

I hear you, Vetwife. I lost $870 this month in taxes. What I don't understand is, if each benefit is awarded separately, calculated separately, then why are they taxed as one lump sum? It only serves to maximize the taxes owed.

Well, I know that I'm curious as to how the DTC will affect my future tax returns, since I had been getting money back for the last few years, and didn't pay nearly that much in income tax while I was working.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

ive never heard anyone ACTUALLY say Empty Re: ive never heard anyone ACTUALLY say

Post by VetWife Mon 26 Nov 2012, 20:47

I asked, (in writing) for the decison on ELB, I was told that there has been no decision yet with respect to any retro, the good news is we finally recieced a cheque from VAC for Oct and Nov ELB however, most of it was deducted at source for income tax. As for the monthly amount, there is just over $600 withheld for tax, go figure...

VetWife
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2012-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Nov 2012, 07:54

big rex verry true but i dont know how you resolve the difference between the elb policy that says you can use dva awards and the pention act that says they cant.yup on the sisip side it was easier becouse sisip policie never states that they can deduct dva awards.but their seems to be two conflicts in the elb police that have conflicts that need to be resolved.the differencs between their policy and the pention act as stated above.and also two of their (elb that is)in that the buyout award cant be deducted but the monthly award can.now my reading of these laws and policies can be wrong ore my recolection of them may be wrong as its been a while.now if my reading and recolection are correct and their is no retro i really thing the elb guys definatly have an actionable argument.strong as the sisip case?no but a actionable argument just the same.this is why i think their will be some retro.how much im guessing will depend on our final deal.
just my oppinion
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 26 Nov 2012, 00:00

Actually meteck, I think those of us on ELB should count ourselves lucky that the Government took action at all. Even the judge stated that they can put anything in an insurance policy that they want, but the wording has to be precise. If you look at the difference between the SISIP policy and ELB, SISIP includes the qualifier "Income", while ELB does not, so therefor using our Pain and suffering pensions as income, was what was in violation of the policy as it was written.

Do I think that retro should be paid for ELB? Absolutely, if only for the fact that the SISIP model had already been outed as an unjust policy and bordering on violating our Human Rights, years before the NVC was even written. Unfortunately, I am not very hopeful.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

ive never heard anyone ACTUALLY say Empty 600 MILLION

Post by meteck Sun 25 Nov 2012, 21:05

first off its sad to realize that elb is not part of this particular lawsuit.i cheer for our vets to get whats owed that needs to be understood..saying that it FRICKIN BLOWS THAT its not.i am sure i speak for many when i say the realization that its not part of this action is heartstomping. i assumed,my bad, that after stopping the clawback in the fashion it happened made me think of course theyl be retro. i guess i was wrong.no wonder my case worker has no clue about it.one thing bugs me though.internal gvrnment numbers suggest 600 million in payments to those affected by the policy introduced by sisip. 7200 potentail recepients.is all that money for those on ltd.it seems high like perhaps they already have the notion of paying ALL who had their money taken from their paycheques, i guess our only hope is that harper decides not to wait for the impending lawsuit and coughs up the retro in jan when the other decision comes down.thanks to all for the input here and good luck to all.im working on going through college as slowly as possible lol.

meteck
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by pteadams2002 Sun 25 Nov 2012, 19:14

The clawback only stopped in October of the ELB. Can anyone else confirm this?
pteadams2002
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-04

http://pteadams2002@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Nov 2012, 13:03

The federal government now has a policy of not paying retro anymore, they used to, but this is there new policy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Nov 2012, 12:51

The government will not go forward on ELB arrears because they do not have too (and it would cost many millions)....the small gesture was done by stopping the claw back in May..that is the bandage solution.... I encourage you not to waste time and wait to see but start seeking counsel....You may wish to write this dude for an opinion... known here as "supremedebater" Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 25 Nov 2012, 12:15

I have called people to find out if ELB will be retro to 2006. I basically get the same answer..."VAC has so far copied everything SISIP LTD has done and when the agreement is in place information about retro pay for ELB might come out"

As dodgy as that answer is I have to agree. It would be pretty damn stupid for the GoC to not pay retro for ELB but will pay retro for LTD.

Just like it would be pretty damn stupid for the GoC not to settle the RCMP LTD class action lawsuit as well!

Then again it is GoC and bureaucrats so...
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sailor964 Sun 25 Nov 2012, 12:06

I am on the ELB as well Meteck since 2007 and i'm wondering the same. Will this have to be fought as well. Same loss and hardships, same illegal clawback.
sailor964
sailor964
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 24 Nov 2012, 22:00

Meteck, it is possible that they will pay ELB retro actively, but as of right now, we are not aware of any action taken to do so. Maybe the''ll come at the same time as the SISIP retro? Nobody except Harper and a few of his closest cronies knows for sure.

Maybe you should talk to the Equitas Society and have them modify their statement of Claim to include the ELB clawback from 2006 to last month, as another shortfall of the NVC on top of the lump sums. Afterall, VAC knowingly copied the failed SISIP policy when implementing the ELB, even though they knew that the SISIP clawback had been deemed unfair by the DND Ombudsman, and standing committees of both the House of Commons and the Senate. And then touting it as a new key benefit available under the NVC, to compensate for the fact that life long disability pensions were no longer available.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Nov 2012, 21:50

ELB started in 2006- it wasn't part of the Class Action law suit! You need to begin one for yourself and others...find a good law firm ...Kevin Berry on Facebook ...he found one that is waving the legal fees Pro bono! ...Good luck!

Back to top Go down

ive never heard anyone ACTUALLY say Empty ive never heard anyone ACTUALLY say

Post by meteck Sat 24 Nov 2012, 21:26

i come to this site to read about the ongoing saga that veterans seem to be enduring during the process of retribution,i have read about stacks of paper and of court proceedings and of personal struggle of those who regain what was taken away from them illegally.i support all vets who struggle to regain monies taken from them by government.what i have yet to see is anyone who is currently on elb not sisip tell us that we too will be compensated for the pension clawback that occured from 2005 onwards. its confusing to me an i think others as well as too just who does this decision effect. obviously there are many who go back much further in time than 2005 its just nobody has ever written that those on elb will be compensated for sure for the clawback,not just adjusted on our monthly pay but retro as well.its a question i need to ask.anybody got an answer

meteck
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum