Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can someone tell me when we do get retro check it only be taxed 20% and when tax time comes you pay the taxes then if shoulve been taxed higher?? anyone

2 posters

Go down

can someone tell me when we do get retro check it only be taxed 20% and when tax time comes you pay the taxes then if shoulve been taxed higher??   anyone  Empty Re: can someone tell me when we do get retro check it only be taxed 20% and when tax time comes you pay the taxes then if shoulve been taxed higher?? anyone

Post by bigrex Mon 14 Jan 2013, 12:22

it is true. SISIP will withhold 20% of your total settlement for taxes. Now when you file, and decide whether to take it this year or ask for CRA to recalculate for past years, when the money should have been earned. If they calculate your taxes owing is higher that what was held back, then you will be responsible for the difference. In my case, if I claim it all this year, my total income tax owing will be $36800, but will only have around $27000 taken off at source, including the 20% ($9200), so I will owe an additional $9800. This amount will change because of the DTC and claiming legal fees, but by how much, I have no clue.
So of my settlement of $46000, after interest, I will only see $18000 of it
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

can someone tell me when we do get retro check it only be taxed 20% and when tax time comes you pay the taxes then if shoulve been taxed higher??   anyone  Empty Re: can someone tell me when we do get retro check it only be taxed 20% and when tax time comes you pay the taxes then if shoulve been taxed higher?? anyone

Post by Sapper Zodiak Mon 14 Jan 2013, 12:04

I am in the same boat brother. I have to put 150,000 in a one year gic or something from retro to pay next years taxes!! But then you can keep any left over and the interest too.
Chimo

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

can someone tell me when we do get retro check it only be taxed 20% and when tax time comes you pay the taxes then if shoulve been taxed higher??   anyone  Empty can someone tell me when we do get retro check it only be taxed 20% and when tax time comes you pay the taxes then if shoulve been taxed higher?? anyone

Post by Guest Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:31

it says in the proposal only taxed 20% when handed over to law firm.... will law firm give the money to us in right tax bracket?? my tax total for fed and prov is 43% if sisip only taxing 20% thats 23 % not getting taxed ..... that means i will have to save some of my retro to cover taxes.... i just hope we get refund taxed properly..... does anyone know or may understand more than me??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum