Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CAF vs VAC 'care'

3 posters

Go down

CAF vs VAC 'care' Empty Re: CAF vs VAC 'care'

Post by Teentitan Wed 11 Jun 2014, 15:36

czerv no problem. One thing make sure if it is the new policy contact the DND Ombudsman because this guy will do something. He was the 2 i/c of the Veteran Ombudsman a couple months ago.

Solid guy and not afraid to get his hands dirty.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Wed 11 Jun 2014, 15:10

Thanks teentitan,
did not even cross my mind to go to the DND ombudsman; I will do that. Like your idea of shadow file with VAC, then they would not need to ask for all those papers!
I will see my mil doc in two weeks and get confirmation. If they say yes, i will call the ombudsman.
I guess, that if it is a new policy, then more people will get the same news that reassessment will be done not by your own doc but by some stranger in VAC office.

Thanks again.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 11 Jun 2014, 13:57

czerv if you are still in I would immediately, as in yesterday, submit a complaint to the DND Ombudsman.

No and I mean no Base Commander has the right to interfere with a soldiers health evaluation. Especially when the DND is encouraging people to come forward for help.

So if it was a NCCN operator that told you this then next time get it in writing. If said operator refuses then I call BS.

But what would be ideal is once a person joins the CF and a medical file is created then a medical file is created at VAC. That way every time the member goes to the MIR, or is immunized, pre and post operation medical screenings in other words EVERYTHING that happens to the member in the CF VAC has it on their system.

This would cut application times because all that the CM, adjudicator has to do is go to your file and find the injury and following accident report. A complete CYA for every member of the CF.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:42

From my experience, I had to jump through so many hoops for the first two years of diagnosis it made my head spin, literally. I had reports from my psychologist and psychiatrist and a psychologist I was sent to by VAC for in depth testing. It's all worth it in the long run. As far as DND goes your doctors can request their reports to support theirs I think.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

CAF vs VAC 'care' Empty CAF vs VAC 'care'

Post by czerv Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:27

Over the months I came across some suggestions that CAF should take over some of the ‘care’ aspects of the serving members that are currently being done by VAC. I had some objections to those calls, for many reasons. Maybe we could start some string of opinions on the topic? One example that I would like to throw in follows:
I just found out (talking to VAC rep) that Base CO has forbidden our Psych and Psychiatrists
do any paper work for VAC (reassessments). Does it also apply to initial paperwork for psych assessments? Does it also apply to any request for doctors evaluation of claimed conditions?
According to VAC lady we have to reassessed by ‘their’ docs either at the local VAC office or nearest OSIS clinic. She said that that is happening at most of the larger Bases.
Now it means that those who are ‘reassessed’ have to talk to some doc that does not know me and rehash everything from the start.
Base psych(s) docs are not allowed to do it because it takes ‘too much time’ from their practice.
(though it makes some sense, it adds sh…t load of stress to those who have to do it outside their safety zone – in my humble opinion).
VAC lady was very nice over the phone and apologetic.
Has anyone come recently to deal with anything similar? Any thought?
Cheers!

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down