Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former soldier planned attack on Veterans Affairs office in Calgary

2 posters

Go down

Former soldier planned attack on Veterans Affairs office in Calgary Empty Re: Former soldier planned attack on Veterans Affairs office in Calgary

Post by Guest Thu 26 Feb 2015, 17:10

Bullet proof glass!!! Go ahead and see what else can provoke a Vet...I've seen less security in prison. Yes through are bad times we have had our own little ideals but if I need to get through a bullet proof glass to spit in your face well guess what? I will get through the glass! happily some vet's wife cared enough for her husband to turn him in. Lucky guy most of us lost our wife's. Putting him behind bar will give him time to recover if the help comes whit the sentence. 4 years!!!!! Maybe the judge was having a bad day, Along whit the pour guy should be the people that made him go wild. They are also part of the problem, I do not know wy he got so dammed mad but I am sure he was pissed off for a good reason. He is not the only one to plan things like this and he is most likely not the last.

Back to top Go down

Former soldier planned attack on Veterans Affairs office in Calgary Empty Re: Former soldier planned attack on Veterans Affairs office in Calgary

Post by Guest Thu 26 Feb 2015, 16:04

I am going to guess that the harsh sentence is twofold;

1. The individual was found to have firearms, body armour, possible bomb-making materials, schematics of the downtown skyscraper that houses Veterans Affairs and a plan to attack the office.

2. With all that's going on around the world with terrorist - and what took place in Ottawa an Quebec - the new terrorist bill, Judges across the Country are setting the bar with how they sentence individuals, when it comes to these types of cases.

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Thu 26 Feb 2015, 13:54

I wonder how many VAC staff went on LTD because of this even though nothing really happened. Bigrex is right. bullet proof glass and locked doors in case one of us goes postal. Where was the threat assessment on this decision. Trust us we are your friends, we are here to help you don't let the bullet proof glass get between us. Where's the threat? Many police stations in our country don't have this much security.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 26 Feb 2015, 13:14

Obviously the Judge did not take his mental health into consideration, because I doubt 2.5 years in prison will do much to improve his mental state. I don't even think that the Veteran who actually drove his truck through the BOR out west, was sentenced so heavily.

And as far as the impact statements from VAC staff, they were utter BS. They likely didn't even know of his plans until after his arrest. But long before this happened, they've had their staff safely tucked away behind bullet proof glass and locked doors. Those types of precautions do not happen, if they were confident in their treatment of the Veterans who require service, some of which who may be mentally unstable.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Thu 26 Feb 2015, 12:16

How many guys have thought about doing something like this? I have, but my shrink says most people do not act on these thoughts because they are not psychotic. With PTSD we walk a fine line especially when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Just putting this out there that's all.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Feb 2015, 07:30

Former soldier sentenced to four years in prison for plot to attack Veterans Affairs office

A judge has sentenced a former soldier to four years in prison for his plot to attack a Veterans Affairs office saying his crimes were “chilling in their meticulous planning,” Bill Graveland of the Canadian Press writes.

More from Bill Graveland’s article:

Glen Gieschen, 45, is getting 18 months of credit for time served in custody. He is also banned for life from owning any weapons.

He dabbed at tears while Judge Sean Dunnigan outlined his reasons for the sentence and the circumstances of Gieschen’s crimes.

“If Mr. Gieschen had followed through with all or part of his plan, the results would have been catastrophic for those working in the Bantrel building and for first responders who would have come upon a nightmare of death and destruction,” Dunnigan said Tuesday.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/former-soldier-sentenced-to-four-years-in-prison-for-plot-to-att

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 19:12

yup sounds like he needs some help Im only guessing but I think the best help he could have gotten that would have prevented this was to straighten out the DVA .

so just like OJ Simpson I completely disagree with what he done,

BUT I UNDERSTAND!!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 18:59

It took great courage for the wife to call the police and notify them of her spouse which likely saved his life and others.  I hope the Veteran receives the counselling and medical care he deserves.

Back to top Go down

Former soldier planned attack on Veterans Affairs office in Calgary Empty Former soldier planned attack on Veterans Affairs office in Calgary

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 15:26

A former Canadian soldier has pleaded guilty to firearms charges stemming from an alleged plan to attack the Calgary office of Veterans Affairs.

The 45-year-old former military intelligence officer, whose name is protected by a publication ban, was arrested in January after his wife contacted police concerned that her husband might be suicidal.

Court documents show that when officers found him several hours later, they recovered firearms, body armour, possible bomb-making materials, schematics of the downtown skyscraper that houses Veterans Affairs and a plan to attack the office.

The man, who the documents say had been at odds with the department over health-care costs, was arrested under the Mental Health Act and taken to hospital for treatment.

He has pleaded guilty to three weapons charges, but still hasn't entered pleas to charges of possessing firearms and weapons, and of making explosives.

The man is scheduled to be back in court Nov. 27.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/former-soldier-planned-attack-on-veterans-affairs-office-in-calgary-1.2091892#ixzz3IPuEQllS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down