Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COMPLEX CHALLENGES WE AS VETERANS FACE IN CHOOSING WHAT POLITICAL PARTY WILL BEST SERVE US

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

COMPLEX CHALLENGES WE AS VETERANS FACE IN CHOOSING WHAT POLITICAL PARTY WILL BEST SERVE US - Page 2 Empty Re: COMPLEX CHALLENGES WE AS VETERANS FACE IN CHOOSING WHAT POLITICAL PARTY WILL BEST SERVE US

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 20:36

Totally agree propat !

Back to top Go down

COMPLEX CHALLENGES WE AS VETERANS FACE IN CHOOSING WHAT POLITICAL PARTY WILL BEST SERVE US - Page 2 Empty Re: COMPLEX CHALLENGES WE AS VETERANS FACE IN CHOOSING WHAT POLITICAL PARTY WILL BEST SERVE US

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 20:35

The Veterans' Bill of Rights is a bill of rights in Canada for veterans of the Canadian Forces and Royal Canadian Mounted Police.[1] It was enacted by the federal government in 2007. It guarantees benefits for veterans from Veterans Affairs Canada and equality of veterans, and refers to them as "special citizens." It also theoretically "entrenches respect and dignity for veterans and their families.

In the 2006 federal election, the Conservative Party of Canada campaigned for veterans' rights.[3][4] The Conservatives said a bill of rights would remedy what they saw as the "shameful way" veterans were handled by the government.[5] In December 2005, Conservative leader Stephen Harper claimed, "We continue to receive complaints that the department is not service-oriented... that is, the bureaucracy treats people as a bureaucracy and a number and that's obviously why we're making the bill of rights, the ombudsman and the structural changes we're talking about to try to shift that focus."[6] The Conservatives formed a minority government. A lawyer named Lisa Keenan wrote that "Partisanship aside, these commitments have been long overdue."[7]

Parliamentary secretary Betty Hinton assisted the introduction of the bill of rights,[8] as did veterans' groups.[1] In April 2007, Prime Minister Harper and Minister of Veterans Affairs Greg Thompson told the press in Kitchener, Ontario that the bill of rights would come into effect then and there would be a new ombudsman for veterans along with it.[3][9] This discussion took place at around the same time as Harper was about to observe an anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge in World War I.[10][11] Earlier, the Conservatives' budget included $19 million to introduce the ombudsman's office.

The Bill contains seven rights[1] and is meant to be "clear and concise."[10] It reads,

Canadian veterans, who have committed their lives and "service" for the freedoms Canadians enjoy today are special citizens. They deserve recognition, benefits and services to maintain an appropriate quality of life during all stages of their lives. Their special status should be recognized in all jurisdictions, federal, provincial and municipal.

Veterans have a right to be treated with courtesy, with respect and in a timely fashion in all their contacts with Veterans Affairs Canada at all levels of the Department. This respect, courtesy and timeliness of service must also be demonstrated to their families and dependants.

Veterans have a right to be fully informed of all programs and benefits to which they are eligible. In that respect, Veterans Affairs Canada has a responsibility to inform not only their current clients; it also has a responsibility to reach out in providing information to potential clients.

Veterans have a right to be provided with equal benefits in any part of the country in which they or their dependants reside. Geographical location should not determine the quality or level of service provided. Confidentiality of information must be preserved.

Veterans have a right to receive fair and equal treatment, irrespective of rank, position, or status. They should be treated with tact, comprehension and understanding. They should be involved in the decisions affecting their care and the formulation of programs and benefits.

Veterans have a right to receive referral and representational assistance in presenting their claims for benefits and services in the official language of their choice. This assistance should be broad based, and should not be restricted to governmental agencies

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 20:34

buds sure but when you the good things they done are dwarfed by the bad things . take quietly 100 dollars and in full public view with the cameras rolling give a dollar back. they have been doing it for many years now and have got exceedingly good at it but its at the point where they have went to that well way to often and its all but dry.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 20:28

Here is something I found from the Liberal side,

Policy Resolution 33

33. A Social Covenant with Canadian Veterans

WHEREAS, successive generations of Canadians have served their country honourably as members of the Canadian Armed Forces;

WHEREAS, service in the Canadian Armed Forces requires members to make a personal commitment to put their lives on the line on behalf of their fellow citizens, and to risk their lives anywhere in the world that the nation deems it appropriate that they do so;

WHAREAS, the burden associated with military service is not only borne by those in the Canadian military, but also by their families, who make untold sacrifices to help ensure the success of Canadian Armed Forces missions;

WHEREAS, the Conservative government’s approach to veterans’ policy demonstrates an utter disregard for our country’s social covenant with those who serve in the military, particularly through its aggressive funding cuts to the supports and services that veterans need;

BE IT RESOLVED THAT a future Liberal government will uphold the principles of this social covenant in its defence and veterans policies, and will live up to our country’s sacred obligation to care for veterans and their families throughout their lives by allowing them to maintain a quality of life that is worthy of the sacrifices that they have made for Canada;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT a future Liberal government will introduce legislation to strengthen the New Veterans Charter to reflect this commitment.

Liberal Caucus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 20:27

yup the NDP,s looks good buy the prime issue of the buyout doesn't look solid to me .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 20:26

Well said propat,

Is there anything positive you can think of that the Conservatives did for Veterans ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 20:20

ABC isn't in the heat of anger or knee jerk its well thought out . ya see even though we cant know for citrine what party will be best for us im pretty sure we know witch will be the worst . im also pretty sure their is a huge consensus on that among the disabled vet community and the vet community in general.

the cons have presided over the largest cuts to veterans benefits in the history of this country BY FAR . no one even comes close to these guys . over all vets benefits have ALLWAYS gone up never down . but with these guys WHOLY FRACK they really did the chopping .

that makes this particular government the absolute worst government by far when it comes to how it treats its disabled vets.

if anyone thinks that by voting for these guys once again may want to read albert Einstein's definition of insanity.

no ABC is not completely out of anger , of course there is understandably some , its just a well thought out conclusion braced solely on and logically on FACT.

and as one wise politician pointed out ya can bs , sugar coat and play with the numbers all ya want . FACTS are very stubborn things and don't want to go away very easy as much as you want them to.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 20:08

propat,

I totally agree with you, this thread is only meant to provide ongoing information that comes out between now and the Federal election.

As you would agree, Veterans issues has been all over the news lately, all of what is debated in the news gives us a better picture of where each party stands when it comes to Veterans.

All of what is discussed here, can be used in the future in holding each party accountable for what they have stated, be it in the news, or what we have found and posted here.

I think the only outcome from us sharing our thoughts on this, would be positive in a way that shows the true colors of all parties, who say, one thing, and do not hold true on their commitment.

In this particular subject, I am always willing to here what others have to say, I look at it as a learning experience, and also a helping experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 19:55

" Here is the NDP'S policy on Veterans "

Improving living and working conditions of military
personnel and their families.
i
Ensuring economic security for Canadian Forces
and RCMP veterans and their families by ex
-
tending the Veterans Independence Program,
enhancing survivors’ pensions, and supporting
homeless or at risk veterans.
j
Ending the unfair reduction of pensions for
retired and disabled Canadian Forces and
RCMP veterans.
k
Ending the unjust offset of Veterans Affairs Canada
(VAC) disability pensions for medically released
members of the RCMP, similar to the end of
the unjust offset of Service Income Security
Insurance Plan (SISIP) that affected injured
Canadian Forces veterans.
l
Supporting initiatives to help veterans transition
into the civilian workforce including programs
that help veterans transition to construction and
shipbuilding trades.
m
Responding to veterans’ organizations, spouses,
widows and widowers, and initiating a public
inquiry into toxic chemical defoliation at CFB Gagetown.

Expanding the Veterans’ Independence Program
for all veterans, widows and widowers, including
the RCMP.
o
Supporting modern day veterans’ access to
long-term care veterans facilities, and initiating
discussions for new Health Care Centres of
Excellence that specialize in veterans care.
p
Ensuring that all veterans and their estates
have access to a dignified funeral and burial by
expanding federal government allowances.
q
Removing the restrictive marriage after 60 clause
so surviving veterans’ spouses can access pension and health benefits.

nd
P Policy
r
Increasing the survivor’s pension amount from
50% to 66% so surviving veterans’ spouses can
manage basic living expenses with dignity.
s
Replacing the Veterans Review and Appeal
Board with a medical evidence-based peer
reviewed process for disability benefit applica
-
tions in consultation with veterans and veterans’
organizations.
t
Improving, reviewing, and updating the New Vet
-
erans Charter including the lump-sum payment
for injured veterans.
u
Applying the principle of One Veteran, One Stan
-
dard to all federal government programs and
services for veterans.
v
Eliminating the current program approach that
unfairly establishes “classes” of veterans and
family members and offers benefits based on
where or when the veteran served and the type of
service.
w
Responding to the concerns of veterans exposed
to nuclear weapon trials and those who assisted
in the Chalk River clean-up, known as Canada’s
“Atomic Veterans”.
x
Better compensation, recognition, and call for public
inquiry for veterans exposed to nuclear weapon
trails and those who assisted in the Chalk River
clean-up, known as Canada’s “Atomic Veterans "

y
Responding to concerns about unequal stan
-
dards of care for injured reservists.
z
Better support for those suffering from Post
Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or Operational
Stress Injuries (OSI) for currently serving CF and
RCMP members, veterans, and their families.
aa
Reviewing outstanding grievances of CF and RCMP
veterans who have been exposed to occupational
hazards like asbestos, depleted uranium, defoliant
spraying, and others, to see where departmental
benefits and services can be applied. No veteran
should fall through the cracks.
bb
Supporting research on unique challenges and
health needs of military and RCMP veterans and
their families and develop strategies to meet their health needs.

Expanding the role of Veterans Ombudsman
to provide independent analysis and reports to
Parliament.
dd
Ensuring veterans programs and services are
kept current, quickly respond to identified
gaps in veterans’ care, and continually update
programs to ensure needs of veterans and their families are met.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 19:39

now the question of weather another party will be better for vets in fact is almost impossible to answer . we can only look at the promises and hope they dint go back on most of them .

verbal or written it doesn't matter . politicians rarely give promises in writing and when they do they will still go back on them. heck in an unprecedented move one party put their whole campaign platform in righting I mean the whole fracking platform . that was just unherd of at the time and hasn't happened since. it was a whole fracking book they called it the red book .

yaa you remember now don't ya. and what did they do when elected only one thing in the whole book that's it that's all . of course it turned out that was a huge mistake. the very next election the got re-elected . so verbal or written don't expect them to follow through on everything but hope they follow through on moast.

MTF

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 19:19

well well well where do I start lol.

first off I am planning to open up a discussion thread 2 or 3 months before the election on this subject for a debate and vote . then if all goes ok maybe get a commitment from some members here to vote on block re hash the debate shortly before the election with all the newest last minuet " promises " . then another vote. and those that made the commitment vote in accordance with the outcome on here.

MTF

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 18:37

I will start with this view,

As far as the Liberals go, the only thing that I heard was in the news where it has been said that, if elected, the Liberals will re open all 9 DVA offices that were closed by the Conservatives, there may be more promises out there by the Liberals with respect to Veterans, however, I am not aware of any that I can speak of.
My opinion on the re opening of all offices to me is a good thing, advocates have been calling for them to be re open, others may not agree, but for me I see it as a positive move.
However, that in itself does not provide me enough to be comfortable in stating that the Liberals will be a better party for Veterans if elected.
We must also not forget that the Liberals were the ones who table the NVC, however in fairness to the Liberals, it passed the first vote with no debate, so all parties signed on with no debate.

As far as the NDP goes, the only thing I can say about them is that I like Peter Stoffer, and this guy is Veteran friendly, and I truly believe this guy will perform extremely well for all of the Veterans in this Country.
Perhaps, others can point out other valuable points that the NDP can offer.

As far as the Conservatives go, I will hold off a bit on this one, as of right now, I am confused as to what they will offer, and this NVC court issue, among other things is making it difficult for me to give, and or make and opinion, at this time.

Back to top Go down

COMPLEX CHALLENGES WE AS VETERANS FACE IN CHOOSING WHAT POLITICAL PARTY WILL BEST SERVE US - Page 2 Empty COMPLEX CHALLENGES WE AS VETERANS FACE IN CHOOSING WHAT POLITICAL PARTY WILL BEST SERVE US

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 16:41

The purpose of this post is to share our different opinions on the three political parties, ( CON, LIB, NDP ) who are all running in the next up coming election.

The opinions are important to the fact that we as Veterans must allow ourselves to be open to how others see, and or feel, what we as a group can discuss in bringing forward our opinions that would reflect what can be suited best for us all, as a whole.

The Intention here is not to persuade others to vote for a certain party, rather the Intention is to allow for us as Veterans to bring forward our different points of views, and or thoughts on the subject, resulting in discussions/opinions to get a better understanding of what we face going forward after the election.

I have seen many Individuals voice concerns and anger towards the present Government, on how they are handling the Veterans file, you can Include me among those.

However, I have also heard many speak of the other two parties with respect to if we would be better off, if anyone of these two parties would be running the Country, you can also count me among those.

This is why I used the word complex in my heading, it's easy to say ABC ( Anything But Conservatives ) in the heat of anger, but what if ABC proves not to be the best thing for Veterans ?
What if ABC does prove out to be the Best for Veterans ?

That is why I think it's important to share our points of views, it's amazing what a group can accomplish, when people are bringing in their thoughts on any or all parties.
With all the information available out there, this would be the place to post it, keeping in mind of what any one party is saying with respect to Veterans.

I personally am totally lost on this particular subject, and would welcome, and appreciate any opinions that any one of you have on this very subject.

Please, respect each others opinion, rather you agree, or disagree.

So I am hopeful that this thread could be the place for us to help one another out in trying to educate us a little more on the subject, it may also prove useful in alleviating posting on this subject, in a variety of other threads on the site, keeping it all in this one thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2