Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being Demeaning by Veterans Affairs.

3 posters

Go down

Being Demeaning by Veterans Affairs. Empty Re: Being Demeaning by Veterans Affairs.

Post by DonnieD Thu 23 Jul 2015, 23:43

Let me tell you. About 8 years ago when i was medically released from the military I was getting treated like garbage from veterans affairs. I had a horrible case manager and veterans affairs was giving me hell through the whole claims process. Luckily I had an amazing Legion case manager that directed me to the VA ombudsman. I wrote him a letter with my full story and feelings and soon after I got a call from him. He asked me what I needed and wanted to do, then he made it happen. So if you are getting treated horribly by VA or they are refusing to help you I advise you to contact the VA ombudsman.
I don't know if its the same one as the one we had 6-8 years ago but I remember feeling helpless before contacting him. He definitely helped me and also gave me an amazing case manager that was with veterans affairs for 38 years.

DonnieD
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2015-03-13

Back to top Go down

Being Demeaning by Veterans Affairs. Empty Re: Being Demeaning by Veterans Affairs.

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jun 2015, 21:46

Orange Crush! Enough Said!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jun 2015, 20:39

Excellent news oldsailor. You may get your scooter after all. Keep the faith.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsailor Fri 05 Jun 2015, 20:13

I faxed a letters of response to Mr. O'Toole's Office yesterday afternoon with the attachments of VA letters denying equipment that I require for a day to day care and disability scooter. I also faxed that same set of letters to Mr. Stoffer.
It was unbelievable the response I received. First there was a message on my answering machine from a resolution Officer for Veterans Affairs".
What I was extremely surprised and impressed was that Mr. Stoffer called me himself earlier this morning, but I missed his call. And now I just received another telephone call from Mr. Stoffer at 5pm my time. That is 9pm Friday evening Mr. Stoffers time in Nova Scotia . Well this gentlemen ask me to let him know when I receive the reply from Mr. O'Toole.
If we had more people like Mr. Stoffer around, I don't think VA office would be in such a mess as it is now.
BZ Mr. Stoffer, and you certainly have my support with your future endeavours.

oldsailor
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Jun 2015, 17:56

Your most welcome oldsailor. I would send a letter via emails to above people and CC each of the people on the list that way they will know who you have contacted aside from them. I believe it will be more effective that way and you will get a response quicker and hopefully some help. Please keep your strength up oldsailor and do what you feel is best for you and your family.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsailor Mon 01 Jun 2015, 17:51

Thanks Sparrow, your a gem

oldsailor
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Jun 2015, 17:44

Peter Stoffer

Constituency Office

2900 Highway #2
Fall River, Nova Scotia B2T 1W4

Telephone: 902-861-2311 // Fax: 902-861-4620

Email:  peter.stoffer.c1@parl.gc.ca

Hill Office

House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6

Telephone: 613-995-5822 // Fax: 613-996-9655

E-mail: peter.stoffer@parl.gc.ca

Erin O'Toole - Minister of Veterans Affairs

Erin.OToole@parl.gc.ca

Constituency Office(s)
•54 King Street East (Main Office)103, Balmoral Place Bowmanville, Ontario L1C 1N3 Telephone: 905-697-1699 Fax: 905-697-1678
•Hill Office House of Commons Ottawa, Ontario Canada K1A 0A6 Telephone: 613-992-2792 Fax: 613-992-2794

OVO - Veterans Ombudsman Guy Parent

Submit a Complaint

Find out more about an existing complaint, or to request or share information, email us at: info@ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca

Toll free from within Canada: 1-877-330-4343
Collect from outside of Canada at 1-902-626-2919

By Mail

P.O. Box 66
Charlottetown, P.E.I. C1A 7K2

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsailor Mon 01 Jun 2015, 17:34

Bigrex, I did have a prescription for the doctor and a request from my OT. Since having the scooter for 11 months, it has been the best thing that I've had since having to retire, as I get around so much now. There will be a day when I have no choice but to have a wheelchair, however, I want to wait as long as I can. I fought all these years to stay out of a wheelchair, I certainly will not have VA tell me that its time to be confined to it, as I will loose what muscles I now have because of being to depended on it

oldsailor
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 01 Jun 2015, 17:03

I feel for you, but it is not surprising. I think your best option going forward would be to sell the scooter, to recoup some of the money, and resubmit a prescription, along with a supporting letter from your doctor, as to why you require the specialized bath. Honestly, as long as the chair they give has large enough wheels to go over grass, a chair is a better mobility option. I have a scooter, but it can be difficult to maneuver around many stores, because they are not designed with mobility devices in mind. In the end, as long as you can be mobile, that is the main thing.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsailor Mon 01 Jun 2015, 16:56

Navrat, do you have the address of the mentioned offices.

oldsailor
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Jun 2015, 16:52

Doesn't hurt , I'd make up a letter and sent it to Otoole, his Vac address, his riding address, sent the OVO one and shoot Peter Stoffer one. Mention at the bottom of each letter that copies are being forwarded to a the media, newspaper , ctv , Cbc etc! It will take a few hours to do up and a couple of bucks for postage but it's an election year and Harper is shutting bricks because he's drowning in orange crush and can feel mulclair riding his arse! Look at the Cpp improvement turn around, just a few months ago Harper was saying no way, along comes orange crush and Harpers singing the I Love Improved Cpp benefits! It's a game

Back to top Go down

Being Demeaning by Veterans Affairs. Empty Being Demeaning by Veterans Affairs.

Post by oldsailor Mon 01 Jun 2015, 15:20

Here is my story. I was released from the military back in 99 because I have a deteriorating muscles disease.
I was granted SISIP and VAC pension.
Last year I spoke with a lady at VAC officer about the requirement that I currently need.
I was told that if I my OT re-submits my file, that VAC would approve a scooter for me to get around with. I had also request a momentum bathtub as my wife is having a hard time helping me out of the bathtub.
We submitted the paper work to VAC as requested and then I went and go a loan and purchased the scooter as I knew it always takes such a long time for VA to approve everything.
Well, I knew that I would have a hard time having a disability bathtub approved and my wife would just have to work harder to help me. As I really don't want someone coming in and bathing me every day.
A couple month later I get a phone call from VAC office. The lady on the phone tell me that she has good news and bad news. The bad news being that the bathtub and the scooter were not approved.
She then told me that the good news was "VAC decided to approve me for an electric wheelchair instead of the scooter" My blood pressure almost went through the roof.
I told her in no terms that "I would let them know when I was ready for a wheelchair and I did not want to be restricted to a wheelchair at this time."
I followed by asking her why they would be demeaning to myself and if she even knew what it takes to get around as a disable person and how much we work so hard to keep our pride.
She then told me that it was what was approved and there wasn't anything she could do.
It took me some time to cool down "like 3-4 month" Last march I wrote a letter to VAC to let them know how I felt and that the OT and doctor had recommended the bathtub and scooter.
I also let them know that "I was never so insulted and belittled in my entire life and why would the people that represents us Veterans treat me like this.

Well I can go on and on with the rest of my story and what was in my letter, however, today I received another letter from VAC

Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) received your letter dated March 9, 2015, on May 1, 2015. Your letter was regarding the Momentum bath lift and scooter decisions made by the
Vancouver Island and the Islands Area Office dated May 15, 2014, and September 19, 2014

According to Section 36(1) of the Veterans Health Care Regulations, if you are not satisfied with the decision, you may apply in writing for a review within 60 days of
receiving your notice of decision. We are not able to accept your request for review as more than 60 days have passed.

If your health needs have changed, you may contact VAC for assistance.

This letter was sent to me from National 1st Level Appeals Unit.

Now I was thinking that I should forward this information to CBC go public. However, I don't want to feel embarrassed or go through that process.
I was never given a case manager for my area, however at the end of the day I still have an outstanding loan for $7000.00 for the scooter and still need a momentum bathtub so I may be able to bath myself with self esteem.
Or perhaps all together, I am not entitle to this equipment and should wait for a wheelchair (horse radish on that)

Any insights to this

oldsailor
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down