Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles

+2
1993firebird
Teentitan
6 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus Games flag arrives in Kelowna

Post by Guest Tue 22 Aug 2017, 06:14

August 22, 2017

Invictus Games flag arrives in Kelowna

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Lauren-hs By Lauren Pullen

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Invictus

They put their lives on the line for their country, but for many Canadian soldiers, the fight still continues long after they come back from war.

Some come home wounded, others face mental health problems like Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

But the Invictus Games are there to help them triumph once again.

Coverage of the Invictus Games on Globalnews.ca:

http://globalnews.ca/video/rd/1020877891743/

The games are specifically for wounded war veterans, to use the power of adaptive sport to aid in their road to recovery.

The Invictus Games flag is now going coast-to-coast. It reached Kelowna on Monday night.

“The idea being, uniting Canadians to support our wounded warriors,” Invictus Games spokesperson Ivan Wanis-Ruiz said.

Peachland resident Bettina Fuchs, who did several tours over her 25 years of service in the military, is competing in the games.

“I had multiple injuries, all over my body, but I also have PTSD,” Fuchs said.

“Invictus Games has got me back into the land of the living. It’s had a huge part in my recovery.”

The B.C. Dragoons were also on hand to show their support.

“All of us who’ve served recognize the amount of difficulty those people who are wounded have gone through,” Lt. Mike McGinty, commanding officer with the B.C. Dragoons said.

“I think it’s fantastic for us to see the opportunity to see their grit and determination and to see them really rising themselves and the rest of us up with the fantastic effort that they make.”

Five-hundred and fifty athletes representing 17 countries will compete in the 12 adaptive sports at the games.

They’ll take place in Toronto from Sept. 23 to 30.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3686887/invictus-games-flag/

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus Games are an opportunity to advocate for disability rights

Post by Guest Fri 18 Aug 2017, 16:15

Invictus Games are an opportunity to advocate for disability rights

The Invictus Games will be a tremendous moment to celebrate our veterans and their sacrifices. The Games can also be a chance to apply pressure on our elected leadership to follow through with action on the promises they made for disability advocacy.

By ADAM KASSAM
Fri., Aug. 18, 2017

I Am.

These two diminutive words have featured prominently in arguably one of the most patriotic advertising campaigns in this country’s history. And while Molson was able to capitalize on nationalistic pride by creating the “I am Canadian” commercials, the slogan I Am, inspired by key phrases of the Invictus poem, will carry an entirely different meaning in the coming weeks.

From Sept. 23 to 30, Toronto will play host to the Invictus Games, an initiative started by Prince Harry with his vision to create an international version of the U.S.-based Warrior Games for wounded, ill and injured military personnel and veterans. Invictus – Latin for unconquerable – is also the title of the poem that inspired the I Am slogan.

Interestingly, the poem was penned by William Ernest Henley, who suffered from tuberculosis and received a below-knee amputation. That Prince Harry named the Games as a subtle nod to an English poet who could relate to other amputees – many of whom will be competing in the Games – is quite an elegant anecdote.

Not so elegant, however, is the considerable amount of work we as a society still need to do in terms of advocacy and accessibility for those with disabilities. Canada has an opportunity to be a global leader in this area, but it needs to improve its track record of championing causes for both veterans and civilians with disabilities.

Disability, as defined by the World Health Organization, is an umbrella term covering impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions. An impairment is a problem in body function or structure; an activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by a person in executing a task or action; while a participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations.

Military veterans often suffer violent injuries on the battlefield. These include physical injuries such as traumatic amputations, brain injuries and spinal cord injuries, in addition to the development of latent diseases including chronic pain and mental health disorders including depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress. Moreover, a study published in the Journal of Disability and Rehabilitation shows that Canadian military veterans are more than twice as likely as the rest of the population to experience a long-term disability.

Canada’s defence minister, Harjit Sajjan, recently announced the federal government’s defence policy entitled “Strong, Secure and Engaged,” which comes with a price tag of $62 billion. Most of the investment will focus on military infrastructure, however, $198.2 million – or just $9.91 million a year – will be invested in what is described as the Total Health and Wellness Strategy. Disappointingly, this represents less than 0.5 per cent of the entire budget. Put another way, the federal government spends more than twice on the prime minister’s personal security than it plans to spend for all military veterans’ disability-related health needs in a given year.

To its credit, Canada is one of a few nations to have a federal minister dedicated to addressing the needs of those with disabilities. However, nearly two years after being installed as Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, Carla Qualtrough has yet to produce the legislation she was tasked with.

In her mandate letter from the Prime Minister, her top priority was to lead an engagement process with provinces, territories, municipalities and stakeholders that will lead to the passage of a Canadians with Disabilities Act. While the minister indicated it was too early to speculate on a timeline for this legislation, two years can seem like an eternity for those dependent on these initiatives.

Even provincially, the government has failed to keep its promise of enforcing the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. This comes as Premier Kathleen Wynne recently amended the requirements of the Customer Service Accessibility Standard, enacted under the disabilities act, in what critics have called “a sad game-changer for 1.8 million Ontarians with disabilities.”

The Liberal government has even gone so far as to obstruct investigations by disability advocates. This does not seem like leadership “committed to building a more accessible Ontario as it is not only the smart thing to do, it’s the right thing to do.”

The Invictus Games will be a tremendous moment to celebrate our veterans and their sacrifices for the freedoms we enjoy every day. It will also be a high-profile event attended by all levels of government. With municipal, provincial and federal elections around the corner, the Invictus Games can serve the function of applying pressure on our elected leadership to follow through with real action on the promises they made for disability advocacy.

Adam Kassam, MD, is a resident in the Department of Physical Medicine and rehabilitation at Western University in London, Ont.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2017/08/18/invictus-games-are-an-opportunity-to-advocate-for-disability-rights.html

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus Games inspiring local athletes on road to recovery

Post by Guest Fri 18 Aug 2017, 06:34

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 8145529_web1_170823-GNG-IvictusGames2
Greater Victoria athlete Robert Sanders speaks during the Invictus Games flag tour, which made a stop at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 91 in Langford Thursday. (Kendra Wong/News Gazette staff)

Invictus Games inspiring local athletes on road to recovery

Games will see ill, injured, wounded servicemen and women compete in Toronto

Thu Aug 17th, 2017

Wednesday was a symbolic day for Robert Sanders.

Not only did it mark the day the Invictus Games flag tour made its first stop at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 91 in Langford, but it also signalled the start of a new challenge for the 54-year-old, who will be competing with Team Canada in the Games next month.

The Invictus Games, which take place Sept. 23 to 30 in Toronto, brings together more than 550 ill, injured and wounded servicemen and women from 17 allied nations to compete in 12 adaptive sports.

But for Sanders, competing in a major sporting event was not on his radar until last year.

http://streaming-colo.blackpress.ca:5080/live/streams/transcoded_vods/20170817232456-3627.mov.mp4

A retired military veteran, the Victoria resident had been struggling with a brain injury and was coping with survivor’s guilt, depression, anxiety disorder, hyper-vigilance, unexplained mood swings, night terrors and flash backs, before he was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in 2013.

“I went from a career military member to losing my career because of a medical injury and that really demoralized me for many years,” Sanders said.

At one point things became so unbearable that Sanders planned on taking his life, and almost succeeded on one occasion until his family intervened and he was hospitalized. Over the next three years, Sanders was prescribed a cocktail of pills to help control his symptoms, and as a result, showed little emotion or interest in daily life. He always felt something was missing.

After being released from the hospital and on the road to recovery, Sanders joined a PTSD support group in Victoria where he learned about the Games and decided to apply to compete in archery and seated volleyball (where participants sit on the ground and move along the floor to hit the ball) – both of which were new sports to him. In November, he was accepted to compete with Team Canada.

Since then, he’s attended training camps and trains six days a week at the Victoria Bowmen Archery Club’s range on Burnside Road and four days at the Saanich Commonwealth Place.

While Sanders admits it’s been a challenging several months, the Games have given a boost to his self confidence and self-esteem.

“I feel peaceful being out at the archery range. I can just focus on the sport, I don’t have to focus on my handicaps or disabilities, I can just go up and shoot. It’s a good feeling,” he said. “It’s not about the Games themselves, it’s about the journey to get there and what we do after.”

Norman Scott, president of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 91, said the Games allow wounded warriors to get back on their feet again.

“The importance of the games are supporting the wounded warriors of yesterday and/or wounded warriors of today so they’re able to fight their demons and they’re able to give back to the community in the way of sports,” he said. “It encourages them to get out and adapt to the community and into the world of hope.”

For more information on the Games visit http://www.invictusgames2017.com/

kendra.wong@goldstreamgazette.com

https://www.vicnews.com/community/invictus-games-inspiring-local-athletes-on-road-to-recovery/

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus flame lit in Kabul

Post by Guest Wed 09 Aug 2017, 18:40

Invictus flame lit in Kabul

Flame to follow the journey of injured service members, making its next stop at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre in Germany.

By VICTORIA GIBSONStaff Reporter
Wed., Aug. 9, 2017

Master Cpl. Jody Mitic was on his third tour overseas as a member of the Canadian forces when he stepped on a landmine. His life changed in a flash.

The 20-year veteran, now an Ottawa city councillor, lost both his feet on Afghan soil. But on Wednesday morning, he once again breathed in the warm air of Kabul. Mitic had returned for the lighting of the ceremonial flame of the Invictus games — inside the stately Afghanistan Presidential Palace, marking the start a long journey home.

“It makes sense that the Invictus Spirit Flame would be lit in Kabul. After all, this is where the lives of so many Canadian soldiers changed dramatically,” Mitic wrote in a release Wednesday morning.

He was passed the flame by an Afghan veteran.

“To be a part of an initiative that would provide such vivid context to the realities of service and sacrifice endured by our servicemen and women was an opportunity I could not refuse.”

With that, the Invictus Spirit Flame formally began its journey to Toronto. The path it will take is the same journey taken by many service members injured on the battlefield. The next key point will be the Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre in Germany later this month.

Team Canada competitor retired Cpl. Chris Klodt and Team Canada co-captain Maj. Simon Mailloux will be on-site to receive the flame. Team Canada members will also be given a chance at the centre to personally thank some of the medical staff that brought them home to their families.

Wednesday’s ceremony was led by Afghanistan’s President Ashraf Ghani and NATO Resolute Support Mission Commander Gen. John Nicholson. In attendance were the Afghan Invictus team, their families, Canadian ambassador Kenneth Neufeld, dozens of Afghan officials and representatives of the Kabul-based diplomatic community.

“Invictus is the Latin word for ‘unconquered.’ I cannot think of a better way to describe the brave Afghans who continue to fight for their country,” Nicholson said.

Once the flame touches down in Toronto, it will be carried into the opening ceremony of the Invictus Games on Sept. 23 by a Canadian competitor and their family.

“Many Invictus Games competitors served and become ill or injured in Afghanistan,” said Michael Burns, Invictus Games CEO, wrote in a release.

“In fact, 14 of the 17 nations participating in the 2017 Invictus Games had service personnel killed or injured there. Afghanistan is now also indelibly woven into the national fabric of Canadian military history.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/08/09/invictus-flame-lit-in-kabul.html

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Why the Invictus Games will be ‘more than just a sporting event’

Post by Guest Wed 09 Aug 2017, 06:49

Why the Invictus Games will be ‘more than just a sporting event’

Jody Mitic, a Canadian Armed Forces veteran and Ottawa city councillor, says the Games being held in Toronto next month will give spectators a window into the struggles of wounded soldiers — and inspire others to share in their journey to rehabilitation.

By DAVID RIDERCity Hall Bureau Chief
Wed., Aug. 9, 2017

Jody Mitic is a Canadian Armed Forces veteran who lost the bottom of both legs to a landmine in Afghanistan in 2007. The former sniper learned to walk again, then run, and with his brother came second on TV’s The Amazing Race Canada. Now a bestselling author and an Ottawa city councillor, Mitic will be front and centre at the Invictus Games in Toronto next month. He spoke to the Star about the purpose of the Games and what their legacy will be.

The Invictus Games have grown incredibly since launching in 2014. Why do you think that is, and what do they mean to you?

The Invictus Games, quite simply, save lives. Men and women who, only months before joining the Games, struggled to get out of bed now are proudly wearing the country’s flag and competing alongside their comrades once again. For this reason, I’m not surprised that the Games have grown, especially now that they’re coming to Canada. My own experience has proven that Canadians have a strong desire to support those who have served, especially if they have returned with injuries or illnesses. I experience that gratitude almost every day. The Games are a unique way to support our military and their families.

Invictus is Latin for “unconquered” or “undefeated.” You have said that, adjusting to life with prosthetics, you felt deformed. What role can sport play in overcoming that feeling?

Adaptive sport gives you a purpose and a mission again, which is lost for some veterans when they leave the Armed Forces — this can have a huge impact on your outlook on life, including how you see yourself. Sport encourages you to push yourself beyond what you thought you were capable of achieving. Sport can transform your physical health, but mental health, too, thanks to the camaraderie and the sense of belonging that often comes with joining a sports team.

What do you say to wounded warriors who are where you were in 2007, and will be watching these Games?

The Invictus Games Toronto 2017 should be seen as more than just a sporting event. They are therapy. They’re a platform through which brothers and sisters in arms can once again join forces and support each other on their road to recovery. It’s not just about the hurdles that competitors experienced during training, but about overcoming the obstacles that life has presented.

I hope that everyone will support the Invictus Games. No matter if you served or not, you will be inspired by what you witness on the playing field.

What is your favourite Invictus sport, and why? Are there any particular athletes you will be watching?

I really enjoy a number of the sports. I love powerlifting — I will be watching that one for sure. I know a few members on Team Canada, so I will be rooting for a number of them.

You hinted in the past about wanting to compete. Any chance the Games ambassador will do a walk-on?

The Invictus Games are about the competitors selected to represent their country. They have been preparing for months and September will be their time to shine. I will be in the stands cheering for all those who are competing.

Some have said a media focus on high-achieving people with disabilities might make the struggle for accessibility harder, that people will wonder why they can’t just overcome all obstacles. What do you think of that?

What’s so unique about the Invictus Games is that these aren’t pro athletes. These are everyday men and women who have turned to sport as a method of therapy. These are mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters … people with full-time day jobs. They’re honest about their struggles. In fact, the focus of the Invictus Games isn’t on the numbers of medals won (there’s no medal count); it’s on celebrating the fact that these individuals made it to the start line.

Many veterans, including your wife, Alannah Gilmore, suffer wounds that are invisible to most people. How can the Games help people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other non-physical effects of military service?

The Invictus Games recognize that the invisible wounds are sometimes as difficult to overcome as the physical ones. In fact, the majority of Canadians competing for Team Canada are coping with mental health injuries, rather than physical injuries. The Invictus Games provide a safe platform for wounded soldiers to come forward with their mental health struggles, knowing that they’re not alone in doing so. In fact, thanks to the Invictus Games, for the first time, the Bell Let’s Talk campaign included a Canadian veteran (and Team Canada competitor) as a spokesperson for their renowned mental health campaign.

All kinds of people will watch the Toronto Games. What do you think non-military people without physical or mental challenges will get out of the experience?

For the spectators, the Games will offer a chance to be part of rehabilitative journey of those who sacrificed their lives for our country. To stand for and cheer on those who have defended our freedom. I think they will be inspired by the grit and camaraderie that they witness on the field. They will also gain a deeper understanding of what our military families do for our service members across the country — and that’s important.

What do you hope the legacy of the first Canadian Invictus Games will be?

I hope that the national awareness generated by the Invictus Games will have lasting effects for veterans and military families long after the last medal is won. I also hope these Games demonstrate the need for more adaptive sport programs for ill, injured and wounded servicemen, women and veterans.

You will celebrate the Games in Toronto with both Prince Harry and Melania Trump. What do you think that will be like?

While I am sure there will be lots of excitement for lots of reasons, I hope that first and foremost the attention of spectators will be on our ill and injured veterans and service members. They’re the ones who truly deserve everyone’s attention!

The Invictus Games take place Sept. 23-30 at venues across the city. invictusgames2017.com

Read more:

Invictus Games helps pave way to recovery for veterans: Prince Harry

Melania Trump coming to Toronto for Invictus Games

Bryan Adams, Bachman and Turner to perform at Invictus Games closing ceremonies

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/08/09/why-the-invictus-games-will-be-more-than-just-a-sporting-event.html

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus Games 'National Flag Tour' to kick off in August

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jul 2017, 15:30

Invictus Games 'National Flag Tour' to kick off in August

Video: http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1174946

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:33AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:21AM EDT

From Comox, B.C. to Gander, N.L., Canadians from across the country will soon be able to join in the celebration of the upcoming 2017 Invictus Games when the first ever “National Flag Tour” kicks off in August.

The Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee announced on Wednesday that the official Invictus Games flag will be headed on a 37-day tour to 22 military bases, 15 legions and more than 50 communities before it reaches its final destination in Toronto for the games in September.

The “National Flag Tour” will begin on Aug. 16 in Comox, B.C. before making its way east.

Michael Burns, the CEO of Invictus Games Toronto, told CTV’s Your Morning on Wednesday that the inaugural “National Flag Tour” was established to include all Canadians in the international sporting competition.

“When we pitched for the games more than two years, one of the things that we said to Prince Harry is that we didn’t just want to deliver a city, we wanted to deliver a country,” Burns said. “And what better way to engage millions of Canadians across the country than by taking the spirit of the games from coast to coast.”

The games’ organizers will also be selecting 150 Canadians to help carry the flag on its journey. Applicants must be at least 18 years old and they can apply online on the 2017 Invictus Games Toronto website.

Founded by Prince Harry in 2014, the Invictus Games is the only international sporting competition honouring wounded military personnel and veterans.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/invictus-games-national-flag-tour-to-kick-off-in-august-1.3519356

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Government of Canada investment in Invictus Games Toronto 2017

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jun 2017, 16:10

Government of Canada investment in Invictus Games Toronto 2017

Minister Hehr announces a significant funding partnership.

TORONTO, June 15, 2017 /CNW/ - Canada's men and women have served our country with bravery, honour and dignity. The Invictus Games provides an opportunity for Canadians to celebrate Veterans and still serving members/soldiers from Canada and other nations for their courage and determination and not be defined by their injuries.

Today, the Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, announced Government of Canada funding in support of the Invictus Games Toronto 2017. The Government of Canada will contribute up to $17.5 million to support the Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee in bringing this major international adaptive sporting event to Canada.

First established by Prince Harry in 2014, the Games in Toronto will include 550 ill and injured still-serving members/soldiers and Veterans and 1,100 family and friend spectators from 17 participating nations.

"Invictus is Latin for unconquered. The brave men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces face many challenges, and life-changing injuries. The Invictus Games gives Canadians the opportunity to witness the pursuit of Invictus while honouring all who push through their barriers."
Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence

"As we celebrate Canada 150, hosting events like the Toronto 2017 Invictus Games helps highlight what makes communities all across the country so unique, diverse and vibrant. We can all learn from the resilience and pride of these athletes, and I am so pleased to welcome competitors from all over the world to Toronto."
Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage

• His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales was joined by the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau in May of 2016 to announce Toronto as host for the third Invictus Games.

• Canada is proud to host the games in 2017, which marks Canada 150, to give all Canadians an opportunity to pay tribute to ill and injured still-serving and Veteran members of the Canadian Armed Forces and their families.

• From September 23-30, 2017, competitors from 17 nations will compete in 12 adaptive sports at multiple venues across the Greater Toronto area.

• Veterans Affairs Canada is contributing up to $15 million through its Commemorative Partnership Program over three years starting in FY 2015/2016.

• Canadian Heritage is contributing $2.5 million through the Canada 150 Fund for the opening and closing ceremonies.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/government-of-canada-investment-in-invictus-games-toronto-2017-628666353.html

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Message of the Invictus Games Comes to Legion Ontario Command Convention

Post by Guest Thu 04 May 2017, 14:33

Message of the Invictus Games Comes to Legion Ontario Command Convention

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 The_Royal_Canadian_Legion_Dominion_Command_Message_of_the_Invict
Natacha Dupuis, Co-Captain of Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Team Canada (CNW Group/The Royal Canadian Legion Dominion Command)

OTTAWA, May 4, 2017 /CNW/ - Natacha Dupuis, Co-Captain of Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Team Canada, will be bringing the unconquerable spirit of service men and women and their families to The Royal Canadian Legion Ontario Command Convention.

Natacha is the Keynote Speaker at the Legion Ontario Command Convention in London, Ontario on Sunday, May 14. "We are honoured to have Natacha bring her message of resiliency and finding the new normal with PTSD to the delegates at Convention" says Brian Weaver, Ontario Command Provincial President. "As the Legion evolves to better support Canada's Veterans, her message reinforces the values we hold close and reaffirms our commitment to supporting and honouring all Veterans."

An athlete in the 2016 Invictus Games and now training for the 2017 Games, Natacha understands and lives the fighting spirit of the wounded, injured and sick service personnel who will not be conquered by their condition. These Veterans compete to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation, and generate a wider understanding and respect for those who serve their country.

"The word 'Invictus' means 'unconquered'. It embodies the fighting spirit of the wounded, injured and sick service personnel and what these tenacious men and women can achieve, post injury." ~ invictusgamesfoundation.org

If there is one message Natacha wants every Veteran, every Legionnaire, and every Canadian to hear in her message, it's this… "No matter the challenges you face, don't let them rule your life. You have the condition; you are not the condition. Together we remember and together we are Invictus."

Prior to the opening ceremonies, Natacha will place a wreath on behalf of the Department of National Defence in a ceremony at Victoria Park to honour Canada's Fallen. She will then join with Legionnaires to parade from the cenotaph to the convention centre.

The Royal Canadian Legion is a proud sponsor of the Invictus Games Toronto 2017 as it furthers our mandate to raise awareness for the issues facing Canada's Veterans, it supports ill and injured Veterans attending the games, and it helps dispel the stigma associated with being ill or injured. Not only will the sponsorship support the nearly 100 Canadian active duty and Veteran service members participating in the 2017 Games, but it will also inspire countless injured and ill Veterans across this country to move forward, and raise awareness for the challenges they face.

To all the members of Team Canada, the Legion is grateful for your service, we are proud to support your journey, and we wish you all success in the 2017 Games!

About Natacha Dupuis

Natacha Dupuis' life took an unexpected turn when, on her second tour to Afghanistan, she witnessed the deaths of two of her brothers-in-arms. The result was an eventual diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder or PTSI (post-traumatic stress injury) as she likes to refer to it.

With more than 16 years of service, Master Corporal (retired) Dupuis was at a crossroads. Enter the Invictus Games.

After competing at Invictus Games Orlando 2016, Natacha is now Co-captain of Team Canada 2017, and she has a message for other ill and injured members headed to Invictus Games 2017. "You have been given this amazing opportunity to make changes in your life. Believe me, if you put in the effort, the Invictus movement and Soldier On will lift you right up. You will accomplish things you never thought possible."

Listen to her story: https://www.invictusgames2017.com/episode-8-natacha-dupuis/

About The Royal Canadian Legion

Founded in 1925, the Legion is Canada's largest Veteran support and community service organization. We are a non-profit organization with a national reach across Canada as well as branches in the U.S., Europe and Mexico. With more than 275,000 members, many of whom volunteer an extraordinary amount of time to their branches, our strength is in our numbers.

Legion.ca
Facebook.com/CanadianLegion
Twitter.com/RoyalCdnLegion
Instagram.com/royalcanadianlegion
youtube.com/user/RCLDominionCommand

http://www.legion.ca/

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/message-of-the-invictus-games-comes-to-legion-ontario-command-convention-621318103.html

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Afghanistan Team readies for competition at Invictus Games Toronto 2017

Post by Guest Wed 15 Mar 2017, 06:48

Afghanistan Team readies for competition at Invictus Games Toronto 2017

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Invictus_Games_Toronto_2017_Afghanistan_Team_readies_for_competi
Michael Burns, CEO of the Invictus Games Toronto 2017, greets wounded warriors alongside Command Sergeant Major Roshan of the Afghanistan National Security Council, before a flag presentation ceremony at NATO headquarters in Kabul, Afghanistan, on March 14, 2017.

KABUL, Afghanistan, March 15, 2017 /CNW/

The CEO of the Invictus Games Toronto 2017 visited Kabul this week to meet with Afghanistan officials and potential competitors who may be selected to represent their country at the upcoming Invictus Games. Established by Prince Harry, the Invictus Games honour the unconquerable spirit of wounded, ill and injured service members and veterans through the rehabilitative power of sport.

"I was very impressed with the preparations for Team Afghanistan. These wounded warriors are fierce competitors – they are going to be a force to be reckoned with at the Games," said Michael Burns, CEO of the Invictus Games Toronto 2017, following his three-day visit in Kabul.

Presented by Jaguar Land Rover, the third Invictus Games will be held in Toronto this year from September 23 to 30. It will build on the success of the London 2014 and Orlando 2016 Games. During his visit, Burns met with the President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani, Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, the Canadian Ambassador to Afghanistan Kenneth Neufeld, and General John Nicholson, the commander of the NATO Resolute Support mission, to witness the progress to ready the Afghan team for the upcoming Games.

Afghanistan expects to field a team of at least seven injured military service members, supported by their families and friends throughout the journey. Burns also met with Afghan Minister of Defence Abdullah Habibi, the Afghan Chief of the Army Qadam Shah, and several ambassadors based in Kabul from countries participating in the Games.

It was Burns' first visit to the country.

"Afghanistan is a country that is indelibly woven into the national fabric of Canadian military history," said Burns. "Meeting Afghan soldiers who have become severely injured in battle, and learning more about the available rehabilitation services, was a powerful reminder of the strength of the Afghan people who have sacrificed so much to make Afghanistan a safer and more secure nation. There is a tremendous need, here and around the world, for programs like the Invictus Games that support the recovery of ill and injured service members."

"The dedication and sacrifice of Canadian, Afghan, and International forces in service of a brighter future for Afghanistan lives on in the spirit of the Invictus Games," said Ambassador Neufeld. "These warriors' courage and strength, both during and after their service, is an inspiration to us all. We look forward to recognizing each of these servicemen and women this summer – In Kabul, Toronto, and around the world!"

"The Afghan National Defense and Security Forces are our valuable friends and partners," said General John Nicholson. "The fact that Afghanistan is once again fielding a team at the Invictus Games for wounded warriors, reminds us of the sacrifice and dedication by the ANDSF. I wish all competitors at the Games the very best and thank them for their service."

The Invictus Games Toronto 2017 will feature 550 competitors from 17 nations participating in 12 adaptive sports: archery, athletics, cycling, golf, the Jaguar and Land Rover Driving Challenge, powerlifting, indoor rowing, sitting volleyball, swimming, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby and wheelchair tennis. The Games are funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Toronto, as well as by Presenting Partner Jaguar Land Rover and other partners and sponsors.

For photos, please visit https://flic.kr/s/aHskT9Zo2k

SOURCE Invictus Games Toronto 2017

For further information: Stephanie D'Lima, Manager, Communications, Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee, media@invictusgames2017.com, 416-364-0001 ext. 61

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/afghanistan-team-readies-for-competition-at-invictus-games-toronto-2017-616192384.html

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus Games 2017 to fund study assessing impact of sport on injured military personnel

Post by Guest Tue 20 Dec 2016, 15:13

Invictus Games 2017 to fund study assessing impact of sport on injured military personnel

By Daniel Etchells Tuesday, 20 December 2016

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Invictus%20Games

The Organising Committee of the 2017 Invictus Games in Toronto has confirmed it will fund a research study examining the role of adaptive sport in the rehabilitation of ill, wounded and injured military personnel.

The study will be conducted by Celina Shirazipour, a researcher at the Dalhousie University and Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research (CIMVHR).

The announcement was made at the seventh annual Military and Veteran Health Research Forum, which was co-hosted by the CIMVHR, the University of British Columbia and the University of Victoria.

"The Invictus Games in Toronto provide an unparalleled opportunity to fill research gaps by allowing for the exploration of sport participation and its effects on the health and well-being of military personnel and their families in the short and long term," said Shirazipour.

Bruno Guevremont, captain of Team Canada at the 2016 Invictus Games, added: "I have experienced first-hand the healing power of sport, having turned to fitness after I was medically released from the Canadian Armed Forces after 15 years of service.

"My hope is that this study provides fact-based proof - beyond the anecdotal evidence - of the benefits derived from participating in adaptive sport competitions, so additional sport programming can be made available for wounded and injured military."

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Prince%20Harry
The Invictus Games were established by Prince Harry in 2014

Preliminary study findings are due to be presented at next year’s Military and Veteran Health Research Forum, which is scheduled to be held in Toronto during the Games in September.

The Forum will see hundreds of academics from around the world gather to discuss recent health research studies concerning military, veterans and their families.

"By funding this study, one of the potential outcomes will be to demonstrate that the Invictus Games are more than just another sporting event; that they are a means of helping competitors overcome mental and physical injuries sustained as a result of their service," said Michael Burns, chief executive of the 2017 Invictus Games Organising Committee.

"Our hope is that these results would encourage further development of adaptive sport programmes, therapies and events for ill, wounded and injured military personnel in Canada and internationally."

The Invictus Games were established by British Royal Prince Harry in 2014.

They are the only international adaptive sporting event for wounded, ill and injured active duty and veteran service members.

Presented by Jaguar Land Rover, the third edition of the Invictus Games is set to welcome 550 competitors from 17 nations competing in 12 sports, including golf, swimming and wheelchair rugby.

It follows the inaugural event in London in 2014, and the second installment in Orlando in May of this year.

Last month, Sydney was confirmed as the hosts of the fourth edition in 2018.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1045062/invictus-games-2017-to-fund-study-assessing-impact-of-sport-on-injured-military-personnel

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee Funds Independent Study on Impact of Adaptive Sport Competition on Military, Veterans and Their Families

Post by Guest Wed 23 Nov 2016, 06:02

Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee Funds Independent Study on Impact of Adaptive Sport Competition on Military, Veterans and Their Families

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 20161122_C3318_PHOTO_EN_823521

VANCOUVER, Nov. 22, 2016 /CNW/ - The Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee announced today that they will fund a research study by Dalhousie University and Canadian Institute for Military & Veteran Health Research (CIMVHR) researcher Celina Shirazipour. The study will examine the role of adaptive sport in the rehabilitation of ill, wounded and injured military personnel and their families, through a comprehensive evaluation of the competitors participating in the upcoming Invictus Games, which will be held in Toronto in September 2017.

The announcement was made at the 7th Annual Military & Veteran Health Research Forum, co-hosted by the CIMVHR, the University of British Columbia and the University of Victoria. The Forum was held in Vancouver, B.C. on November 21 to 23, 2016.

"The Invictus Games in Toronto provide an unparalleled opportunity to fill research gaps by allowing for the exploration of sport participation and its effects on the health and well-being of military personnel and their families in the short and long term," said Shirazipour.

"I have experienced first-hand the healing power of sport, having turned to fitness after I was medically released from the Canadian Armed Forces after 15 years of service," said Bruno Guevremont, team captain, 2016 Invictus Games Team Canada. "My hope is that this study provides fact-based proof — beyond the anecdotal evidence — of the benefits derived from participating in adaptive sport competitions, so additional sport programming can be made available for wounded and injured military."

"By funding this study, one of the potential outcomes will be to demonstrate that the Invictus Games are more than just another sporting event; that they are a means of helping competitors overcome mental and physical injuries sustained as a result of their service," said Michael Burns, chief executive officer, Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee. "Our hope is that these results would encourage further development of adaptive sport programs, therapies and events for ill, wounded and injured military personnel in Canada and internationally."

Preliminary study findings will be presented at next year's Military & Veteran Health Research Forum, which will be held in Toronto in September 2017 during the Invictus Games Toronto 2017.  The Forum will see hundreds of academics from around the world gather to discuss recent health research studies concerning military, veterans and their families.

The Invictus Games were established by Prince Harry in 2014. They are the only international adaptive sporting event for wounded, ill and injured active duty and veteran service members. Presented by Jaguar Land Rover, the third Invictus Games will welcome 550 competitors from 17 nations competing in 12 sports, including wheelchair rugby, swimming and, new to the Invictus Games this year, golf.

About CIMVHR (Canadian Institute for Military & Veteran Health Research)

The Canadian Institute for Military & Veteran Health Research (CIMVHR) is an innovative organization that engages existing academic research resources and facilitates the development of new research, research capacity and effective knowledge translation. Their mission is to enhance the lives of Canadian military personnel, Veterans and their families by harnessing the national capacity for research. With a network of academic researchers from across Canada, it serves as a focal point for 41 Canadian universities who have agreed to work together in addressing the health research requirements of the Canadian military, Veterans and their families. The CIMVHR research program ensures sustainability though increased public awareness and public-private funding.

About the Invictus Games Toronto 2017

The Invictus Games use the power of adaptive sport to help wounded warriors on their journey to recovery. The inaugural Invictus Games took place in London in September 2014 with the second, and equally successful, event taking place in Orlando in May 2016. The Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee is tasked with planning and executing a Games that will capture the imaginations of the Canadian public, corporations and governments, as well as soldiers, veterans and their families.

Follow the 2017 Invictus Games journey at invictusgames2017.com and on social media at @InvictusToronto.

Image with caption: "Invictus Games Toronto 2017 (CNW Group/Invictus Games Toronto 2017)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20161122_C3318_PHOTO_EN_823521.jpg

For further information: Pj Kwong, Media relations coordinator, Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee, media@invictusgames2017.com, 416-364-0001 ext. 69

http://www.theprovince.com/business/cnw/release.html?rkey=20161122C3318&filter=4007[/b]

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus Games helps Canadian veteran put her life back together

Post by Guest Sat 12 Nov 2016, 12:14

Invictus Games helps Canadian veteran put her life back together

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Image

Click on the link below to view video

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/invictus-games-helps-canadian-veteran-put-her-life-back-together-1.3157610

Meredith MacLeod, CTVNews.ca
Published Friday, November 11, 2016 10:00PM EST

Retired Master Cpl. Natacha Dupuis has found salvation at the track and now she’s preaching to others about the power of sport.
Dupuis, a 16-year veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces, has been named co-captain Canada’s team for the Invictus Games coming to Toronto in 2017. The games, founded by Prince Harry in 2014, are an international competition for military personnel who have been injured or sickened during their service.
Dupuis returned from a second tour of duty in Afghanistan in 2009, struggling with post-traumatic stress after witnessing an armoured vehicle explode behind her while on patrol just north of Kandahar.
Her close friends Trooper Jack Bouthillier and Trooper Corey Hayes were inside and both were killed. Three others were seriously injured. Dupuis was one of the first responders tending to the wounded. The shock and horror left Dupuis permanently scarred.
“I went to help one, only to realize he was dead,” she said.
When she came home, she constantly relived the incident in nightmares and panic attacks. She isolated herself from family and friends for two years.
“My brain shut down, everything shut down. There was no more life into those eyes. I was completely broken,” she said.
But sport has helped put her life back together again.
With encouragement from friends, she decided to train for the Invictus Games held in Orlando last year. Little did she know she would be part of a challenge issued by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to U.S. President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama and Kensington Palace ahead of the those games.
Dupuis was shown along the PM doing push-ups in a widely circulated video.
The Quebec resident went on to compete in powerlifting and the 100- and 200-metre sprints, dedicating her three-medal performance to her comrades lost in Afghanistan.
“I remember crossing the line, winning gold, and the first thing I saw as I looked up... you know, it was for them,” she said.
Organizers are now gearing up for Toronto’s turn to host the games next September, launching a volunteer application portal this week to coincide with Remembrance Day.
The event is expected to attract 550 to 600 competitors from 17 nations, says Michael Burns, CEO of Invictus Games Toronto 2017.
The veterans chosen to represent their country may not be the best athletes, Burns told CTV’s Your Morning.
“They are being selected because the games are going to have the most benefit for them. These are men and women who are typically today struggling to get out of bed. They are having challenges at home with their relationships with family and friends or they’re trying to find meaningful employment after service.”
He said, while the Invictus Games are about sports, they really serve as therapy to struggling vets who will get to wear their flag and be part of a supportive team of athletes and coaches again.
“And also they are going to have, which they often lose when they leave the service, they are going to have a mission and a purpose again.”
Volunteer Caroline McIntosh said she’s taking part because she’s a proud Dutch-Canadian and the Dutch people have never forgotten the sacrifice of Canadian soldiers in liberating the Netherlands.
“And in being a Canadian citizen, a daughter of Canada if you will, I felt I needed to give back and pay tribute to that legacy. I am the legacy of the Canadian soldiers.”
As for Dupuis, she says a reward far greater than any medal is the possibility sharing her story may help someone else.
“I try telling my story in the hope that maybe it can help someone get out of the dark place they may be in.”

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/invictus-games-helps-canadian-veteran-put-her-life-back-together-1.3157610

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus Games Toronto 2017 launches volunteer application portal

Post by Guest Thu 10 Nov 2016, 07:05

Invictus Games Toronto 2017 launches volunteer application portal

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 20161110_C1785_PHOTO_EN_814791
Invictus Games Toronto 2017 logo (CNW Group/Invictus Games Toronto 2017)

Apply now by visiting http://www.invictusgames2017.com/volunteer/  — Over 1,500 volunteers will be recruited to deliver the third and largest Invictus Games, to be held in Toronto, Canada, from September 23 to 30, 2017

TORONTO, Nov. 10, 2016 /CNW/ - The online portal is officially open for members of the public who wish to become a volunteer for the Invictus Games Toronto 2017. Launching the volunteer application portal on the eve of Remembrance Day offers Canadians a unique opportunity to show their gratitude and support for the servicemen and women who have become wounded, ill or injured as a result of their military service. With only 1,500 roles available, the portal will only be open for a limited time so the public is encouraged to submit their application early to avoid disappointment.

"This year, as we remember the sacrifices made by our soldiers and their families, we encourage Canadians to transform the empathy they have for our service members and turn it into tangible action," said Michael Burns, chief executive officer, Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee. "By becoming an Invictus Games volunteer, people can play a vital role in the rehabilitation of our ill, wounded and injured soldiers and veterans."

The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, encourages Canadians to rally behind its ill and injured service members, veterans, and their families. "Hosting the Games in Canada is a great opportunity for Canadians to show pride and support for those who served and now represent Canada on a national stage," said Minister Hehr. "By competing in these Games and by being courageous in their rehabilitation, these athletes are vital role models for their fellow Canadian veterans, members of the Canadian Armed Forces, and Canadians at large, whose lives have been affected by injury."

Caroline McIntosh is a leadership volunteer for the Invictus Games Toronto 2017. Volunteering is part of her commitment to honouring the soldiers who liberated the Netherlands in the Second World War. Her Dutch parents, who interacted with Canadian soldiers during the War, instilled in her a reverence for the Canadian Armed Forces, and it's something the mother of two demonstrates by championing causes that support military personnel and their families.

"The Invictus Games offer our wounded soldiers and veterans a means of healing through the redemptive, rehabilitative qualities of sport," said McIntosh.  "To be given the opportunity to play a central role in this healing process as an Invictus Games volunteer is incredibly meaningful to me."

What can volunteers expect from their experience?  Volunteers will be on the frontlines of these inspirational Games, playing a central role in the rehabilitative journey of wounded, ill and injured veterans.  Their efforts will help provide more than 550 wounded military competitors with a forum to display to themselves—and to the world—that they are not defined by their injuries.

Volunteer roles include preparing the field of play, recording quotes from competitors, taking tickets, transporting competitors to events, providing medical services, supporting behind the scenes with the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and much more.

Established by Prince Harry in 2014, the Invictus Games are the only international adaptive sporting event for wounded, ill and injured active duty and veteran service members. Presented by Jaguar Land Rover, the third Invictus Games will welcome up to 550 competitors from 17 nations competing in 12 sports, including wheelchair rugby, swimming and, for the first time, golf. Over the upcoming months, participating nations—including, this year, Romania and Ukraine—will be recruiting their teams of ill, wounded and injured service members who will compete in the Invictus Games as a means of rehabilitation.

For more information on how to apply to become a volunteer, visit http://www.invictusgames2017.com/volunteer/

About the Invictus Games Toronto 2017

The Invictus Games use the power of adaptive sport to help wounded warriors on their journey to recovery. The inaugural Invictus Games took place in London in September 2014 with the second, and equally successful, event taking place in Orlando in May 2016. The Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee is tasked with planning and executing a Games that will capture the imagination of the Canadian public, corporations and governments, as well as soldiers, veterans and their families.

Follow the 2017 Invictus Games journey at http://www.invictusgames2017.com/ and on social media at https://twitter.com/InvictusToronto

For further information: Pj Kwong, Media relations coordinator, Invictus Games Toronto 2017 Organizing Committee, media@invictusgames2017.com, 416-364-0001 ext. 69

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/invictus-games-toronto-2017-launches-volunteer-application-portal-600661421.html

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Invictus Games Toronto 2017 unveils slate of events

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 16:37

Invictus Games Toronto 2017 unveils slate of events.

Established by Prince Harry in 2014, the Invictus Games are for ‘wounded, ill and injured active duty and veteran service members.’

Sept. 23, 2016

Organizers of the upcoming Invictus Games Toronto 2017 unveiled a slate of events Friday to mark the one-year countdown of the competition.

Established by Prince Harry in 2014, the Invictus Games are for “wounded, ill and injured active duty and veteran service members.”

“These games really are therapy for these competitors,” said the head of the Toronto games’ organizing committee Michael Burns. “And it doesn’t start when the game starts, it starts when they get chosen, selected to be on Team Canada.

“Giving them a new mission is vital to their confidence and their well-being.”

The games will coincide with Canada’s 150th anniversary and the 100th anniversary of Vimy Ridge, giving it special significance for Canadians.

The CN Tower was lit yellow Friday night to commemorate the upcoming games, which will run from Sept. 24 to 30, 2017.

The main kickoff event will be at Toronto Nuit Blanche on Oct. 1 at Yonge-Dundas Square from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., where around 10,000 members of the public will have the chance to take part in building an installation.

The installation will be a 30-ft.-by-30-ft. structure created with building blocks and will read “I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.” There will also be a live mural experience by David Arrigo, a sports artist.

Closer to the games, there will be a relay across all 32 military bases in Canada to spread excitement and awareness of the event.

Co-captain of Team Canada, master corporal (retired) Natacha Dupuis competed in the last games, held in Orlando.

“It was a life-changing experience,” the 37-year-old from Quebec said, adding that it helped her deal with the post-traumatic stress disorder she was diagnosed with after her second tour of Afghanistan in 2008.

She still deals with nightmares, flashbacks, night sweats, anxiety and depression occasionally, she said, but, over time, and, through therapy, it’s improved.

“What I remember the most (from last year’s games) is it’s not so important the medals or being first or being second or last,” said Dupuis. “I actually saw a last place person being cheered louder than first and that’s really touching and it’s the only place I’ve ever seen anything like this.”

Organizers anticipate about 600 competitors will attend the event from 17 countries. There will be 12 sports they can compete in, including golf, swimming and wheelchair rugby.

The games will cost an estimated $40 million to $45 million to host.

Unlike other sporting competitions, the Invictus Games have team sports where men and women compete together alongside people with both physical and mental wounds, said Burns.

“You’ll find when you see team Canada, or many of the other nations who will be coming, more than half of their teams are able bodied,” he said, adding some team members will have attempted suicide, will be severely injured or finding it hard to transition from military life to civilian life.

Canada’s team will have 100 members from across the country in 2017, the largest team it’s ever had, said Burns.

“We want people to access these games and really be inspired by what they see on the playing field and on the courts.”

By the numbers

600: Estimated number of competitors

17: Countries competing

12: Number of sports, including golf, swimming and wheelchair rugby

2: Number of new nations competing

100: Number of Canadians who will be competing in 2017

40-45: Estimated millions of dollars to host the games.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/09/23/invictus-games-toronto-2017-unveils-slate-of-events.html

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Injured military get a boost from Invictus Games coming to Canada

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2016, 06:04

Injured military get a boost from Invictus Games coming to Canada.

July 28th, 2016

It’s safe to say Bruno Guevremont knows how to deal with extreme pressure. He once took a vest loaded with explosives off a suicide bomber during a tour of duty in Afghanistan as part of the Canadian Armed Forces technical bomb squad.

Today, Guevremont runs a cross-fit gym in Victoria, B.C. as well as Team Canada captain for the upcoming Invictus Games. Guevremont was at the Sage Summit 2016 to raise awareness for the competition, which was started by British Royal Prince Harry.

The Invictus Games showcases top athletes from among the wounded, ill, and injured military personnel and veterans. The inaugural Invictus Games took place in London in 2014 and featured more than 450 competitors. The Invictus Games is coming to Toronto in 2017 and will be sponsored by Sage. The Toronto event will be held this September and will have more than 600 competitors from 16 countries competing in 12 sports.

Guevremont will be competing for Canada in indoor rowing. Guevremont said that sports and the Invictus Games became part of this rehabilitation process after he was injured in Afghanistan. He also owns a fitness gym and that too is an outlet for his rehabilitation. “It’s a way for me to connect with other people and other countries and their military people. Invictus brings us closer

“It’s a way for me to connect with other people and other countries and their military people. Invictus brings us closer with sport and this is important because it changes the lives of many athletes and families,” he said. “Their purpose is to represent their country on the world stage and gives them a task after their military service.”

Guevremont spent 15 years in the military. He joined the Canadian Armed Forces as a weapons technician assigned to paratroopers. From there he transferred to become a Navy diver and the bomb squad where his team defused more than 100 improvised explosive devices including that suicide bomber. But his military career did take a toll and Guevremont suffered from post stress disorder.

But the Invictus Games along with running his own gym in Victoria, B.C. helps Guevremont deal with his program. “Most people in the military work on tasks and when you are no longer deployed you feel broken, but now you have a purpose and the military works to serve a purpose and the Invictus Games is the right tool to break down these barriers,” he said.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/injured-military-get-a-boost-from-invictus-games-coming-to-canada/76951

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 4 Empty Re: Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next