Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Divorce Legal Help

2 posters

Go down

Divorce Legal Help Empty Re: Divorce Legal Help

Post by seadog44 Mon 08 Aug 2016, 14:59

Thanks guys. this has been helpful.

seadog44
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2016, 14:53

I found older topics that offer some advice on this matter. The topic is posted by redfisher and it's heading is " VAC Disability Pension benefits and Child Support, the new changes in the law. Thanks Dennis." You can find it in this category on page 4, 5th topic down from the top of the page.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 08 Aug 2016, 13:01

Sea Dog, if you are getting a monthly PA pension, it can only be used to calculate child support, not spousal support.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2016, 11:27

Lawyers are all in for making money, they make way to much unnecessary exchanges between themselves all for the sake of raking in more money from both parties. However it is necessary to obtain one to ensure the process goes smoothly, and fair to both parties. I am no expert but given the fact that I was divorced in Halifax I can share a few things with you that may, or may not help. Like you my ex obtain and expensive lawyer in Halifax, I on the other hand obtain one in Elmsdale which is up by the airport, I believe the firm was called Blackburn English, the price was very good compared to the prices in Halifax, the service, quality and support was if not just as good as my ex's Lawyer, better. If I was to go through it again, I would obtain the same firm. No complaints. One piece of advice to save you money is after your first visit set up an email link with your lawyer an communicate that way as much as you possibly can as this will save you lots of money. You have to be careful to not allow your ex's lawyer to go over board with your disability/service income as they will try to take advantage of every dollar you have. If your ex is working she may not go for spousal support, if you have kids under 18 she will go for child support payments, with respect to your annuity she may want half of that, with respect to your VAC benefits she can only get the disability portion of that particular pension. This is all done in percentage tables that the lawyers will use for calculating. If your ex is not money hungry and is a reasonable person this makes the divorce go much smoothly, if she is not, then there will be more conflict and more work for both lawyers which will cost more.

With my own experience I can say that at first things can be tough on you, but for me things got better as time passed and today looking back at it, I would say that I'm in a much better place with myself, life is good and the divorce is just a temporary bump in your life that passes with time. My ex tried to break me and failed, to bad for her and good for me.

Hope this helps you out some.

Back to top Go down

Divorce Legal Help Empty Divorce Legal Help

Post by seadog44 Mon 08 Aug 2016, 10:38

Hi everyone,

My wife has left me and locked up the best divorce firm in Halifax. I don't know where else to turn and I hope none of you have had to go through this. but, in the event any of you have, do you have any insight on how to proceed in finding a good lawyer? thanks in advance.

seadog44
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down