Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME.

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME. Empty AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME.

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2016, 07:27

Lawsuit involving UTGSU and former executive member ongoing

Both parties allege disparaging remarks made

AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME. NEWS_UTGSU_Lawsuit-RUESHEN_AKSOYTHE_VARSITY-UTGSU_Pub_Building-1080x720

Two years have passed since the beginning of a legal dispute between the University of Toronto Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) and a former executive of the union.

On December 1, 2014, Walter Callaghan, who had served five months as the UTGSU’s Academics and Funding Commissioner for Divisions 1 & 2, filed a lawsuit against the UTGSU and all the members of the union’s executive committee at the time.
Callaghan is seeking a total of $100,000 in damages, plus $25,000 towards a charitable donation for an organization that supports soldiers and veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.
In addition to the union, the defendants are former Academics and Funding Commissioner for Divisions 3 & 4 Hussain Masoom, former Finance and University Governance Commissioner Soaleha Shams, former Civics and Environment Commissioner Susanne Waldorf, former Internal Commissioner Nickie van Lier, and former Member-at-large Kavita Siewrattan. Siewrattan is currently the Scarborough Campus Students’ Union’s Executive Director.

In his Statement of Claim, Callaghan alleges that the defendants had a “hostility” towards his mental health concerns. Callaghan is a Canadian Armed Forces veteran who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and receives a Permanent Impairment Allowance from Veterans Affairs.
Callaghan alleges that when he requested that mental health issues be a “top priority” for the Executive Committee’s “Planning & Visioning Day,” Masoom, van Lier, and Shams insisted that mental health issues be downgraded to a “secondary priority.”

The Statement of Claim also states that Callaghan frequently sparred with the defendants over disagreements relating to the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS). Callaghan spoke against a policy at the CFS General Meeting in June 2014, arguing that it “could have the effect of supporting involuntary institutionalization and criminalization of persons with mental health issues.” Masoom and van Lier allegedly told Callaghan that he was overreacting and blamed his “personal issues.”
Callaghan also chaired the UTGSU litigation committee. During that time the union was in the midst of a lawsuit against the CFS. Callaghan’s Statement of Claim says that the majority of the defendants had a desire to end the lawsuit and allegedly saw Callaghan as an “obstacle to ending the litigation.”

It also alleges that Shams accused Callaghan of “being too unstable to perform his duties and suggested he should increase his medication.” Shams is also accused of calling Callaghan’s mental health issues “unprofessional.”
Finally, the Statement of Claim alleges that the defendants pursued “a secret complaint process” against Callaghan.
“The defendants, or some combination of them, privately encouraged a group of UTGSU staff to file a grievance against Mr. Callaghan,” reads a portion of the statement. “They pursued this strategy in secret, and with the intention of removing Mr. Callaghan as a political obstacle. The defendants conducted the grievance process without any regard for procedural or substantive fairness.”

Citing mental distress and a relapse, Callaghan resigned from his position on October 28, 2014.
The defendants filed a 21-page Statement of Defence in January 2015, denying the allegations made by Callaghan in his Statement of Claim. They also say that Siewrattan took office on October 1, 2014, and was not in office at the time of nearly all of Callaghan’s allegations.
The defendants say that Callaghan was never discriminated against and was given ample accommodation. They also say that Masoom and van Lier never objected to making mental health issues a “top priority.”
With regards to the policy at the CFS meeting, the Statement of Defence says that van Lier “encouraged Callaghan to publicly share his views on the CFS amendment and the group,” and the executive “supported him fully.”
The defendants also say that Callaghan never complained to the UTGSU General Council and allege that Callaghan has harassed and bullied some of the defendants.

They allege that Callaghan was “intolerant and aggressive towards his colleague Shams who had openly disclosed her mental health issues to him,” and Callaghan’s “militarized references and aggressive language or gestures” gave her anxiety.
Callaghan also allegedly publicly referred to Shams as “Kool-Aid Kid,” “imbecile,” “dumb as shit,” and “puppet.” The Statement of Defence alleges that his hostility towards Shams at one point caused Shams to suffer a panic attack.
Callaghan is also accused of discriminating and harassing Masoom, allegedly calling him a “suicide bomber” due to his Muslim faith. He is also alleged to have made other Islamophobic statements.
The Statement of Defense also calls Callaghan’s allegations of a secret grievance from UTGSU staff “both shocking and absurd” and says that there were complaints filed by staff members, calling his attitude towards staff “demeaning and aggressive.”

The defendants deny any political motivation behind grievances filed by CUPE Local 1281, the union representing UTGSU employees. They allege that they attempted to set up an interview with Callaghan, but he did not respond to emails and “ultimately refused to participate in the investigation process.” They also note that Callaghan resigned on his own accord.
The Statement of Defence also includes a counterclaim filed by Shams and Masoom against Callaghan. Shams and Masoom are seeking $50,000 in damages for mental distress.
Callaghan filed a Reply and Defence to the Counterclaim 11 days after the counterclaim was filed.
According to Callaghan’s defense, the allegations that Callaghan made “aggressive” comments are “mischaracterized, grossly exaggerated, and taken out of context,” and he denied making any physical threats.

Callaghan also claims that Shams did not disclose the fact that she was suffering from mental health issues and that the names that he is alleged to have called Shams were never used publicly, with the exception of “puppet.” The reply also says that Callaghan did not intend to cause Masoom any distress and the comments were made in private.
Callaghan maintains that the defendants disparaged his mental health condition and pursued the grievance against him without regards to his health. His reply says that the Counterclaim is “false, vindictive, politically-motivated, and deserves the Court’s censure.”
The UTGSU budgeted $150,000 for the New Litigation Fund, to be used for legal expenses for this lawsuit. According to the union’s audited financial statements for the 2015–2016 year, it has spent $64,004 as of August 31, 2016.
Suzanne Narain, who is the UTGSU’s current Civics and Environmental Commissioner and a member of the Defense Committee, declined to comment “out of respect for all parties and the proceedings.” None of the other parties in the case could be reached for comment.

The UTGSU’s annual general meeting is on December 6 at 6:00 pm.

http://thevarsity.ca/2016/12/05/lawsuit-involving-utgsu-and-former-executive-member-ongoing/

Back to top Go down

AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME. Empty Can MDMA help combat post-traumatic stress disorder?

Post by Guest Sat 26 Nov 2016, 16:31

Can MDMA help combat post-traumatic stress disorder?

Clinical trial found MDMA — also known as ecstasy — may be an effective treatment for PTSD

By Michelle Ghoussoub, CBC News Posted: Nov 25, 2016 6:42 PM PT Last Updated: Nov 25, 2016 6:42 PM PT

AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME. Mdma
MDMA increases the release of hormones like seratonin, dopamine and cortisol, which inhibit fear.

A clinical trial conducted in Vancouver found MDMA — also known as ecstasy — may help treat the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.

The study, conducted by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, enrolled 103 participants who had been dealing with moderate to severe PTSD for at least six months.

They were given either MDMA or a placebo two to three times, in conjunction with non-drug therapy sessions.

After the sessions, the study found that 56 per cent of participants given MDMA no longer fit the criteria for PTSD, compared to 22 per cent of those given the placebo.

When consulted a year after the initial treatment, 67 per cent of patients who experienced improvements still no longer met the criteria for PTSD.

Dr. Allison Feduccia, a neuropharmacologist and clinical trial leader for the study, said the findings are a breakthrough for the mental health field.

"After two sessions of MDMA, we saw that the groups that were assigned to the active treatment group had a significant reduction in their PTSD and depression symptoms and we saw improvements in their sleep quality," she said.

'Why do they call this ecstasy?'

Feduccia said MDMA increases the release of seratonin, dopamine and cortisol, chemicals and hormones which reduce the fear associated with confronting trauma.

"It's a combination of these neurochemicals that are setting up a place that allows the therapeutic process to work more efficiently in people," she said.

She said MDMA also allows patients to access "unconscious materials," also known as repressed memories, a process that can initially be painful for patients.

"Some people will say 'I don't know why they call this ecstasy' as they're going through the therapy, because there can be a lot of emotions they may not be in touch with and they may have memories that are very painful."

However, she said this process of "memory reconsolidation" can be key to getting to the root causes of PTSD.

Fighting the stigma around psychedelics

Feduccia said she hopes the success of these trials will reduce the stigma that surrounds the use of psychedelic drugs as treatment.

"I think that the public atmosphere is changing around accepting this as a really legitimate treatment because of these controlled trials."

​She added the findings are particularly encouraging because the drug needs to be taken very few times before results can be observed.

"Having another option, especially a drug that's only administered two to three times in the context of therapy, is quite appealing."

The trial's findings were presented at the Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research forum in Vancouver.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/can-mdma-help-combat-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-1.3868713

Back to top Go down

AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME. Empty Re: AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME.

Post by pinger Thu 24 Nov 2016, 21:09

Re: Colby Cosh article @ 11:41

It's a free country alright but I don't like this article.
It's waaay too all across the board . . .
Dentists and farmers?

“ Only by the wildest of chances will one turn up in the news as a successful, well-adjusted individual. “ MEDIA CHECK . . . that's because bad news sells, and good news does not!

Watcha gonna accentuate?

“ Our duty as journalists to uphold political and social obligations to veterans is undoubted, and those who excel at it deserve praise. “   What TF ?

Perhaps more media commentary journalists should be reminded of an unbiased approach for fracking starters.  

But of course . . . the money ain't there is it ?

I think that article stinks.

Pissed pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME. Empty Re: AIR CANADA APOLOGIZES FOR TELLING SOLDIER WITH PTSD HER SERVICE DOG NOT WELCOME.

Post by Teentitan Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:25

Thanks. I'll look into it.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 06:15

thanks r.murphy for your post on VV1 CSAT, can you let us know if this treatment is covered by VAC including medical travel or is this out of pocket therapy either way i do appreciate your input.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Feb 2014, 19:09

I have developed a healing program for Post Traumatic Stress. I have helped many people to deal with the effects of emotional trauma. I would be willing to offer a training program for soldiers who wish to help their peers. I can also offer a direct healing proigram for a group of soldiers who wish to feel and think better. It's not as difficult as most people believe. The rational mind and the emotional mind coexist in a symbiotic relationship. Traumatic stress creates a wedge between them and disrupts their normal function. This can be changed by taking away the power that the wedge is getting from so many sources all at once. My experience is that once people come to understand what this is, they feel safe to engage it. when they see how it is working on them, they feel confident to deal with it in meaningful and lasting way. When they discover why it is happening to them, then they can see the way forward for
themselves. Look for the personal meaning of each painful memory. It is the meaning which binds the memory to the feelings. Look also for the meaning of each feeling. It is likely linked to a memory somewhere. I hope this helps someone. I am a former Native Community Worker. I am a qualified Tai Chi instructor [Sifu]
I can be contacted at stressmaster09@yahoo.ca
Personal revolution is a comprehensive strategy to restore the freedom to choose.
It is a strategic way to break through the obstacles posed by post traumatic stress.
It can help you to take back your peace of mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jan 2014, 21:35

trooper I agree bigrex has a good idea but unless the GOC and transport Canada recognize PTSD as a condition requiring a service dog the point is moot. you can be a infantry vet that has done 10 tours been in 50 firefights won 5 medals for bravery have the biggest service dog ever recorded trained 10 times with 100 ID tags around his neck he will still not be allowed.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jan 2014, 19:21

propat your absolutely correct, there is either lack of respect for the Veteran in question, and or lack of knowledge and or understanding of what service dogs provide for Veterans suffering from PTSD. It is not only disrespectful to Veterans, but anyone who suffers from PTSD. In my opinion such actions as in this particular case could add to the stress already placed upon individuals who are already stressed out. I just hope that this incident is somewhat Isolated, and more attention and or education can be implemented to ensure that future incidents like this one, doesn't happened again. What Rex has suggested, maybe and avenue that can be looked at, to aid in having life made a little easier for those who requirer the use of service dogs.

Rex, I agree with you in stating that the type of dog is Irrelevant, the way I see it is simple, if it does the job, and or helps these individuals, that's what matters. Having said that, I do feel that any such dogs should be certified in the area to provide somewhat support for individuals who suffer from PTSD, before being granted total privileges. As I understand from some members of CSAT, who have stated that they purchased service dogs who were trained in this area. These trained dogs should be able to accompany these individuals as they travel. So your Idea of picture / certified service dog would make it much easier for those who suffer from PTSD, to travel hassle free.

Those that do not suffer from PTSD, may not fully understand how these individuals lead their lives, we are far behind on this issue compared to the US. Hopefully things will get better as more and more people get educated on the impact that this anxiety disorder can have on individuals.

Just my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 17 Jan 2014, 14:04

Rags, the breed should not detract form their usefulness as a service animal. Sure, typically most service animals are larger breeds, like Labs or Shepherds, but smaller dogs serve a purpose as well. Maybe the Veteran lives in an apartment that cannot accommodate a larger breed. Should she have to move? If you google images of PTSD service dogs, there are a coupel smaller breeds that show up, including Yorkies. Since these dogs are for comfort, and not for more practical purposes like keeping a blind person from crossing the street at the wrong time, or notifying a deaf person that there was a knock on the door, a smaller breed suites the role perfectly. I own a Yorkie and when my wife is home, she never leaves her side. She sits in her lap when watching TV and sleeps next to her feet at night. So this type of quality would be perfect for someone who need an animal to focus on, instead of allowing the destructive thoughts to surface.

As far as the soldiers trade is concerned, things have changed considerably since your release. Because of the extended stay in Afghanistan, in an attempt to limit a persons rotations over there, the CF deployed many trades that would not normally see combat action. My brother was put on a short list of Navy personnel to be deployed to the sandbox, as a PO2 Nav Comm, so a Sgt Int seeing combat isn't completely outside the realm of possibility.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jan 2014, 09:53

im not sure people are seeing the issue at least as I see it and I am glad this lady has brought it to light. here is what I see in the initial post that disturbs me.

Canada did not recognize her PTSD as a disability requiring a service dog.

Transport Canada allows service animals onto flights when they are accompanying patients with a variety of conditions, from vision or hearing impairments to mobility limitations. Air Canada’s rules, as posted to the airline’s website, suggest service animals for emotional or psychiatric support are permitted only aboard flights to the United States.

“We have spoken with our medical desk and they have informed us that they explained to you that PTSD isn't yet recognized by the Canadian government as one of the conditions requiring a service animal,” an Air Canada social media representative named Nisha wrote to Jew on Facebook, saying service animals for PTSD are allowed on flights to the U.S. only.

now quite a while back now the US went through this with some airlines however it turned out to be the airlines fault as prior to the incidents the US had changed their regulations to allow service dogs for PTSD and other  psychiatric conditions . yes it is for everyone but it was done for their disabled vets . in the US they have a lot of respect for patriotism and seems to show itself in vets issues and to the extreme in disabled vets issues . to the American politician doing things for disabled vets  equals votes and doing something against disabled vets costs them votes. soooo they tend to be very proactive when it comes to vets issues.

no political party in the US would have survived the SISIP ore NVC issues. but then again these things would never have happened there.

the airlines don't want to allow these animals on their planes unless they get paid for it and will  avoid it if they can. why do you think they allow it to the US. this is for American vets not Canadian.

they know all to well if a US vet comes to Canada with his service dog and cant return with it his story will be seen over and over and over again AD NAUSIUM on CNN then transport Canada will end up changing their policy on PTSD service dogs. then they would have to allow every CANADIAN to fly with their service dogs all over the country without charging a fee and not just the odd AMERICAN going home.

THANK YOU AIR CANADA FOR TAKING CARE OF THE DISABLED US VETS. at least that's something.

as for transport Canada and the GOC. FRACK YOU FRACK YOU VERRY MUCH. every one needs something to hate.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Fri 17 Jan 2014, 08:18

Im going to be the Devils Advocate here;
I think we are taking this way way too far. Pay the 50 to take the dog that looks more like a rat as your comfort pet. If she feels so strong lobby and write letters and motivate the system to accept properly trained dogs as PTSD service dogs. And I emphasize properly trained! not a pet rat that makes ya feel cozy. She is an Int Sgt. Air force Cold Lake. Last time I saw a Int anything in combat was......never. And getting randomly shot at or snipped or you may die cause your in a war zone does not give ya the PTSD re badge of courage. Ok I said it some one had to this is getting so stupid.

Rags

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 16 Jan 2014, 21:59

I'm sure that the idea would be better received if it was from someone actually using a service animal, after all it would be for their benefit, not anyone else's. That being said, any member here that does use a service animal can feel free to run with it.

As far as costs go, a machine to print cards costs 3-5 thousand, and the cartridges cost a couple of hundred, but last quite a while. The cards themselves, because they come in boxes of 500 or 1000, equal to around 1 or 2 dollars per card, since they wouldn't need to have a RFID chip. At the hospital, we printed off an average of 500 ID's per month, and a cartridge normally lasted 2-3 months. So for the number of service dogs in Canada, the over all costs would be far less than the annual salary of the individuals tasked to print them off.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Thu 16 Jan 2014, 19:45

That is a good idea, Rex, really! I think you should pass that suggestion on to the higher ups, I believe it has merit!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jan 2014, 18:00

Excellent point/Idea Rex.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 15 Jan 2014, 21:47

Trooper it should be easy to handle, since all service animals must be registered, simply create a national or provincial ID card (that can be ordered online with an attached photo), similar to a drivers license. Then when going into an establishment, or booking a flight, the owner only needs to show the ID, and the animal is allowed. The initial cost may be daunting, but once that is done, all future cards could maybe issued by the kennels that train these dogs, when they are assigned to a person.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next