Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES Empty RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES

Post by Dannypaj Sat 07 Jan 2017, 18:13

Now that VAC has taken responsibility what will occur next?
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES Empty VAC takes Medavie Blue Cross to task over medical marijuana envelopes

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jan 2017, 17:53

RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES Cbclogo_sprite

VAC takes Medavie Blue Cross to task over medical marijuana envelopes

'A material breach of privacy has occurred,' says Veterans Affairs Canada
By Anjuli Patil, CBC News Posted: Jan 07, 2017 12:25 PM AT Last Updated: Jan 07, 2017 1:00 PM AT
RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES Blue-cross-letter-cannabis-for-medical-purposes
The letter signed by Veterans Affairs Canada arrived in a Medavie Blue Cross envelope.

Veterans Affairs Canada says it's notifying the Office of the Privacy Commissioner after veterans were recently sent a letter in an envelope that outed them as medical marijuana users.

The letter from Veterans Affairs arrived in a Medavie Blue Cross envelope with a window that made the bolded words "Re: Cannabis for Medical Purposes" visible on the envelope for anyone to see.

Veterans and their families expressed concern about the letters, saying it breached their privacy.

Veterans Affairs said it had reviewed the case of the letters from Medavie Blue Cross.

"The review has determined that a material breach of privacy has occurred," Sarah McMaster, a press secretary for the Veterans Affairs minister, said in an email to CBC.

McMaster said the department is taking "corrective action" with Medavie Blue Cross so that letters sent to veterans in the future "respect and protect their privacy."

There are about 3,000 veterans across Canada who use medical marijuana.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/vac-medavie-blue-cross-medical-marijuana-envelopes-update-1.3925959

Back to top Go down

RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES Empty Hundreds of veterans likely affected by federal cuts to medicinal pot allotment

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jan 2017, 17:29

Hundreds of veterans likely affected by federal cuts to medicinal pot allotment

THE CANADIAN PRESS
Published January 3, 2017 - 5:20pm
Last Updated January 3, 2017 - 5:40pm

RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES CPT119382002

OTTAWA — Nearly three-quarters of veterans whose medical marijuana is paid for by the federal government get more than three grams per day, while one in three receives the maximum daily allotment of 10 grams.

The figures are contained in an internal Veterans Affairs Canada audit that raises broad questions about the use of pot by veterans, including claims it reduces the use of painkillers and other addictive drugs.

The report, published on the department's website, comes as the government prepares to tighten the rules around weed for veterans, including reducing the daily limit from 10 grams to three.

The government cites skyrocketing costs and a lack of scientific evidence about the drug's medical benefits in defending its decision to scale back the amount it will cover, which the audit suggests will affect hundreds of veterans.

But critics have questioned how the government decided on three grams per day, while raising concerns about the impact on veterans who require more than that to deal with physical or mental injuries.

The new rules are scheduled to take effect in May.

The Canadian Press

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1428955-hundreds-of-veterans-likely-affected-by-federal-cuts-to-medicinal-pot-allotment

Back to top Go down

RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES Empty Re: RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jan 2017, 09:41

I just spoke to VAC as well.  The front-line worker was aware of the situation and didn't try to make excuses.  The person assured me that VAC was attempting to deal with the issue.  However, they didn't elaborate on what that would look like.   A note was put on my file expressing my chagrin over having my personal information breached.

In my opinion, someone should lose their job over this.  These types of incidents are completely avoidable. Whether it be classified information of military value or people's medical information there is no room for error in safeguarding it.  In today's digital age information can be used to harm people like never before.

There should be a speedy investigation and resolution into this matter with restitution and guarantees that in the future this type of mistake won't be made.

Back to top Go down

RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES Empty Re: RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES

Post by Slaket Tue 03 Jan 2017, 08:16

Medical privacy breach..

Just off the phone with Blue Cross and VAC.
Playing the "I don't knows about or how to deal with this" card.
Told them to google it and inform themselves. Privacy commissioner office is not open. Hope a law firm takes this on. I'm there if anyone does.

Slaket
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Jan 2017, 10:24

On my profile it says I'm good to go. But there is no go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Mon 02 Jan 2017, 09:49

and I have been prescribed MMJ fro over two years.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Mon 02 Jan 2017, 09:48

Registration number########

Adjustment Code

10 - PRESCRIPTION DRUGS
Date22-December-2016
Expense submitted$172.50
Rejected

Registration number######

Adjustment Code

10 - PRESCRIPTION DRUGS
Date19-December-2016
Expense submitted$471.50
Rejected
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Mon 02 Jan 2017, 09:41

I now call directly to Cannimed inc. for my MMJ.
In the past I could order it through Cannmed inc. and it was directly billed to VAC.
Recently noticed I was declined on my renewal, more information needed for blue cross.
Just a heads up.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Jan 2017, 08:49

When I tried to order from Aphria today online I have no access to available strains, but when I log out I have access to available strains, but can't order.

Back to top Go down

Post by tetech Mon 02 Jan 2017, 07:50

HI

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but a number of "LP's" have been using unapproved pesticides on the medical Cannabis.

Two i've heard of, Organigram and mettrum. Both are down to one or not dried products:

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/organigram-announces-voluntary-product-recall-2185787.htm

tetech
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2015-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Mon 02 Jan 2017, 06:56

How come we let this happen over and over again?
Love to see how many eyes read my file,
too many.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Mon 02 Jan 2017, 06:49

"Although the Court of Appeal noted that in most cases, damage awards will not exceed $20,000, there could still be some cases where a plaintiff may be able to prove pecuniary loss, in which case, damages could be awarded in excess of that amount. However, because the Court of Appeal capped damages for non-pecuniary loss for "intrusions upon seclusion" at $20,000, most of these types of claims will be litigated in the Ontario Small Claims Court, where the monetary jurisdiction is for claims of up to $25,000".

Three thousand out of how many Canadians that now have been singled out and with our medical information displayed for all to see.

WE ARE THREE THOUSAND STRONG PLUS FAMILY AND FRIENDS
THANNKS GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
FOR DOING BUSINESS ON THE DIME
AND WE PAY FOR IT.
THAT'S MY MEDICAL INFORMATION DISPLAYED, IT IS A CAUSE FOR SERIOUS CONCERN.

Last edited by Dannypaj on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 06:57; edited 1 time in total
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

RESTRICTING VETERANS' MEDICAL CANNABIS WILL COST LIVES Empty Veterans may sue over marijuana privacy breach

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jan 2017, 17:45

Veterans may sue over marijuana privacy breach

ANDREA GUNN
Published January 1, 2017 - 6:33pm
Last Updated January 1, 2017 - 6:37pm\

Veterans Affairs Canada could be facing another lawsuit after a privacy breach involving 3,000 veterans who are part of the federal medical marijuana program.

Veterans began reporting the breach Friday that effectively outed them as medical marijuana users.

A VAC mailout informing patients about recent reimbursement changes lets anyone looking at the outside of the envelope know it was issued under the federal medical marijuana program.

A photo of the letter posted by caregiver Carla Murray on a Facebook group for Canadian veterans shows the phrase “Re: Cannabis for Medical Purposes" on the envelope.

Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr’s office responded to concerns on Friday after being contacted by the Chronicle Herald.

“We take the privacy of veterans very seriously and have asked the department to review this situation with Medavie-Blue Cross,” the spokesman said.

Murray, whose husband uses medical marijuana to treat a variety of conditions, called the violation a slap in the face.

She said she and her husband are concerned for their safety as their Saskatchewan neighbourhood has been the target of more than 20 break-ins in recent months, most by people seeking drugs and booze.

Murray said the experience has been triggering her husband’s PTSD.

“(For many people) with PTSD, especially veterans, security is the whole issue. It’s always about whether your house is secure, whether your family is safe,” she said. “Paranoia is part of it.”

Murray has reached out to VAC and a resolution officer is supposed to be in touch with her. But, she said, it’s not good enough.

“The damage has already been done.”

She said she is planning to get in touch with a lawyer to discuss legal options.

A similar situation arose in November of 2013, when more than 41,000 Canadians received letters from Health Canada revealing them as medical marijuana users.

The envelopes had the phrase “Marihuana Medical Access Program” on the outside in the return address beside the name and address of the recipient.

A class action is still before the courts.

Veteran Jason Hemsworth said Friday he received a piece of mail with information regarding his medical marijuana prescription, which is covered through Medavie-Blue Cross. It had “Re: Cannabis for Medical Purposes" on the outside.

Inside it said “Protected — Personal Information.”

Hemsworth said a VAC supervisor confirmed the letter should have been sent in a windowless envelope.

“Having my address as well as my personal medical information put out there by those that are supposed to keep it safe is a grave violation, as well as a security risk for not only myself and my family,” he said.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1428555-veterans-may-sue-over-marijuana-privacy-breach

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jan 2017, 12:19

Kim Davis said she was surprised when she was sorting through her mail last week and saw in bold letters through an envelope window, "RE: Cannabis for Medical Purposes."

The unopened letter was addressed to her husband, a veteran, who in September started taking edible cannabis to help cope with post-traumatic stress disorder. 

"It has breached privacy on all different levels. If you follow the privacy protection act for health-care professionals, it breaks that," said Davis, who lives in Lawrencetown, N.S.

The letter was signed by Veterans Affairs Canada, but it arrived in a Medavie Blue Cross envelope. Davis said the envelope outed her husband as a medical marijuana user. 

There are 3,000 veterans in Canada who use medical marijuana. The letter inside the envelope had to do the stricter limits from Ottawa on medical marijuana for veterans.

Security breach

Carla Murray, who lives in southeast Saskatchewan, said her husband, who is a veteran, also received the letter. She said he was furious.

"It's no different then them putting on the outside of the envelope that my husband is on OxyContin or that my husband is on a psychotic drug," Murray said.

"They took away the right of the veteran to choose who he does and does not tell what his medication is." 

Murray said she is concerned about the wrong eyes seeing the envelope with their address on it. She said there have been break-ins in her neighbourhood recently.

'They've made us a target'

"With the break-ins we've had around here, they're looking for drugs, pharmaceuticals and alcohol. If they know we have government-bought cannabis, how do I know we're secure? ... They've made us a target," Murray said.

A similar incident happened with Health Canada in 2013, when envelopes marked "Marijuana Medical Access Program" were sent out to medical marijuana users across the country. That case is still before the courts.

Davis said she blames Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr for the newest incident.

"There was a breach. You have breached confidence and confidentiality and privacy here. What's to review? Is your review going to include hiring security guards to stay at our houses or give us alarm systems in our homes? Probably not," she said.

Situation being reviewed

Murray said the breach makes veterans who are vulnerable even more so.

"It's just a horrible thing to do to somebody whose mental illness has major security issues," Murray said.

CBC News contacted Veterans Affairs Canada for comment on Saturday, but the department did not immediately respond.

Medavie Blue Cross told CBC News in an email Saturday that it is working with Veterans Affairs Canada to review the situation and address concerns.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/canada-veterans-medical-marijuana-privacy-1.3917768

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum