Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It...

+2
bosn181
Panserbjørn
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

It... Empty Re: It...

Post by johnny211 Wed 10 Jan 2018, 16:57

Just a quote fm the MVA, yesterday on CBC;
With the increased benefits that we're allowing right now, we're going back to those people who received those lump sum payments, 2006 and after, and we are going to calculate how much they would have received if they had those new benefits when they accepted that amount.
Then we subtract the lump sum that we've given them and give them the rest over monthly payments. I mean, for some people, this could be a substantial amount of money.

That all makes my ptsd brain hurt. I quess sometime later this yr, or next we will prob all get a letter. Stay well all, let’s work together on here, and help your brothers and sisters. That’s all this old Rad Op will say on that subject..Out.. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 02 Jan 2018, 22:23

That's the trick though. The vast majority of Veterans are never deemed DEC, so therefor would not get ELB/IRB for an extended period. There is a link somewhere on the site, showing how many vets are getting specific benefits, and iirc, there are less than 2 thousand getting the CIAS, if that, which is only possible after being deemed DEC. Out of the tens of thousands of disabled Veterans, that is a very small number.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Jan 2018, 21:44

Bigrex:
If you are unable to work due to illness or injury related to service over several years DEC should be granted.
If it is 100% deducted from IRB delay taking both until 70.
Five year delay maybe the government will change the game again and take less or leave the CPP and OAS alone!
No sense taking it at 65 if they claw it back and at 70 its 37% higher if you delay it until 70!

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 02 Jan 2018, 19:42

IRB will only continue for life, if deemed DEC before age 65. If you have a mild to moderate disability, you will not be deemed DEC, so the IRB will only be paid while going to school, or through a specific treatment plan under the rehab program. Not every Veteran will get IRB, let alone for life.
Also after 65, any money earned from CPP and OAS, will be deducted from your reduced IRB by 100%, so you are not financially gaining from those benefits.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Jan 2018, 18:33

bigrex wrote:Rubicon, I guess you missed the part where I said that those examples are towards the most generous end of these benefits (the magic 12% of veterans ). The vast majority will not even come close to those amounts.  So lets look at the same three veterans, except they received the average disability assessment of 15%. Everything else is the same.

Veteran #1

PA pension $512/mo
ELB $4500/mo if taking part in rehab program.

Veteran #2

DA $54000
PSC $172/mo less amounts for previous award.
ELB $4500 if taking part in rehab program.

veteran #3

PSC $172/mo
IRB $4500 if taking part in rehab program.

In the long run, once the ELB/IRB ceases, the most the NVC and PSL Veterans will get, is only a maximum of 33% the support that the PA pensioner will receive, on a monthly basis. yet a 15% disability can be life altering, and definitely severe enough to end a military career.

Bigrex:
ELB will continue for life under the IRB  at 70% after 65 when you include CPP and Old Age pension. Living on 70% is equal to a 35 year pension. Rehab will stop when you are declared DEC but the IRB continue including ELB.
These numbers look more conservative I would ask you to have Veteran affair confirm they are a indication of what is coming.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 02 Jan 2018, 15:44

Rubicon, I guess you missed the part where I said that those examples are towards the most generous end of these benefits (the magic 12% of veterans ). The vast majority will not even come close to those amounts. So lets look at the same three veterans, except they received the average disability assessment of 15%. Everything else is the same.

Veteran #1

PA pension $512/mo
ELB $4500/mo if taking part in rehab program.

Veteran #2

DA $54000
PSC $172/mo less amounts for previous award.
ELB $4500 if taking part in rehab program.

veteran #3

PSC $172/mo
IRB $4500 if taking part in rehab program.

In the long run, once the ELB/IRB ceases, the most the NVC and PSL Veterans will get, is only a maximum of 33% the support that the PA pensioner will receive, on a monthly basis. yet a 15% disability can be life altering, and definitely severe enough to end a military career.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Jan 2018, 15:02

Rubicon wrote:"Please forward to my Case Manger (XXXX XXXX) at the (location) VAC Office.
Good afternoon Case Manager from Rubicon (VAC Id:XXXXXX) and Happy New Year. It is probably too early to determine if there is any change to my disability benefits as a result of the pension for life announcement by the MVA in December. When you get a chance and once you know definitively, could you advise me if and how the Minister's decision affects my awarded and outstanding application(s) going forward on 1 April 2019? Thank you."

Rubicon ...

I would suggest that everyone on the CSAT Forum does the same with their CM via secure messaging on My VAC Account so we can compare the resulting answers. Now if you believe that several hundred secure e-mails will further clog a system that just cannot seem to catch up with itself owing to a lack of staff, then don't send an e-mail. If you believe that the backlog is occurring because of an outdated process that for example requires your approval to access your military medical file each and every time you submit a disability application and then is added upon by a medical review process which at times does not have sufficient information to render a decision but does anyway further complicating things and necessitating an appeal; then send the e-mail request to your CM. I am curious to see what the varying answers will be.

Rubicon ...

Excellent idea DONE thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Tue 02 Jan 2018, 14:58

my mind tells me they have slowed the system i think i read that they used to process well over 10k claims a year prior to 2015 and i not sure but i think i read that they were doing around the 5k mark i could be wrong don't quote me i sure others here have the answers but if this is the case, is it do to lack of people or are they slowing down because of the paysystem and some of the workers just don't care of are they wanting job security.  i met up with wifes family over xmas and one person that was there was talking about only having two years before they could retire and how little work they do and how no one there cares including there boss.  i got myself in a little hot water with wife and her family as i had a few choice words to say that did not go over good.  they talked about how they should be doing ten times the work and i said in words i can use here its people like you so bitter and jaded that mess up the whole system and cause these backlogs.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubicon Tue 02 Jan 2018, 13:45

"Please forward to my Case Manger (XXXX XXXX) at the (location) VAC Office.
Good afternoon Case Manager from Rubicon (VAC Id:XXXXXX) and Happy New Year. It is probably too early to determine if there is any change to my disability benefits as a result of the pension for life announcement by the MVA in December. When you get a chance and once you know definitively, could you advise me if and how the Minister's decision affects my awarded and outstanding application(s) going forward on 1 April 2019? Thank you."

Rubicon ...

I would suggest that everyone on the CSAT Forum does the same with their CM via secure messaging on My VAC Account so we can compare the resulting answers. Now if you believe that several hundred secure e-mails will further clog a system that just cannot seem to catch up with itself owing to a lack of staff, then don't send an e-mail. If you believe that the backlog is occurring because of an outdated process that for example requires your approval to access your military medical file each and every time you submit a disability application and then is added upon by a medical review process which at times does not have sufficient information to render a decision but does anyway further complicating things and necessitating an appeal; then send the e-mail request to your CM. I am curious to see what the varying answers will be.

Rubicon ...
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS Tue 02 Jan 2018, 09:02

I would think it is a little early to call, nothing is ever black and white. hopefully there will be something come out of this,

cheers

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Jan 2018, 08:22

SIGS PIGS wrote:good morning and Happy New Year,

I am 112% disabled, Knees, hips, feet, shoulders & Hearing . I took the lump sum. with this new veterans charter will I be entitle to a Monthly Pension and if so how does that work?????

Call veteran affairs let us know! We are in the dark with actual numbers I think. Please let us know what they tell you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Jan 2018, 08:20

Bigrex:
Veteran 1 2 and 3 will all received between $8500 $11000 per month? I find these amounts over the top. I wonder if we could ask VAC to review these numbers. Along with all the additional benefits these 3 veterans would live well financially!
The system has never been equally fair since the NVC.
LIFE HAS NEVER BEEN FAIR.
Our governments since 2006 and continued as of the 20th of December stated it isnt fair.That will continue in to the future.No two veteran situation is the same. There is no will to change the unfairness.That fact is to clear to me.
Nevertheless, all veterans will have money and support for life.  With your numbers Bigrex all three veterans will be functioning well money wise. I would still like to see these numbered confirmed I feel the monthly totals will be thousands of dollars less. Time will tell! If a veteran salary for life exceeds his monthly income plus COA when he was working and all his additional medical care etc etc etc is covered I think that would be remarkable.

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS Tue 02 Jan 2018, 08:13

good morning and Happy New Year,

I am 112% disabled, Knees, hips, feet, shoulders & Hearing . I took the lump sum. with this new veterans charter will I be entitle to a Monthly Pension and if so how does that work?????

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 02 Jan 2018, 06:02

I just couldn't keep myself from commenting.

let's compare three Veterans, all 30 years old, married, assessed at 90% and medically released with 10 years of service, with a military salary of $5000/mo

Veteran #1 injured in 2005

PA pension #3075/mo (tax free)
Attendance Allowance - $1085/mo (tax free) (median of possible amounts)
CIA grade 1 - $1799/mo (taxable)
CIAS - $1103/mo (taxable)
ELB - $4500/ mo (taxable) until 65.
RISB - $2279/mo (taxable) after 65

maximum Monthly income (before taxes) - $11562 (*rare, but still possible)

Veteran #2 injured in 2017

DA - $324000
PSC - $1035/mo minus amount to be determined.
APSC- $1500/Mo (maximum)
Caregiver recognition benefit (once approved) $1000/mo
CIA grade 1 - $1799/mo (taxable)
CIAS - $1103/mo (taxable)
ELB - $4500/ mo (taxable) until 65.
RISB - $2279/mo (taxable) after 65

maximum possible monthly income - $9900 + PSC

Veteran #3 injured in 2019
PSC - $1035/mo (tax free)
APSC - $1500/mo (tax free) Maximum
Caregiver Recognition Program - $1000
IRB - $4500/mo (taxable) Increased by 1% every year until the Veteran reaches 20 years of service. until 65
IRB - $3500/mo (taxable) after 65
-According to VAC ,the IRB encompasses ELB, EELB, RISB, SRB, CIA and CIAS, and to counter the loss of a separate CIA/CIAS, the IRB will be increased by 1% if released before serving 20 years, until reaching 20 years, or age 60. So after ten years, this veterans IRB will 100% of pre-release salary.

Maximum Monthly income - $8035, increasing by $50/mo, every year, for 10 years, to a max of $8535.

* these are the most severely disabled veterans, making near the maximum amounts for every possibly benefit available to them. Most Veterans will not make anywhere near these totals. I just wanted to demonstrate the differences in how future Severely disabled Veterans will be treated under the PFL, compared to current Veterans.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

It... Empty You will never be wealthy but reasonable incomes will happen. I have faith!

Post by Guest Mon 01 Jan 2018, 23:38

Panser:
I think with time these discussions will have accurate answers. Answers that will likely confirm it is better than you presently think for all veterans that qualify. I accept that everything will be reduced after 65. That is life. I suspect that a severely disabled veteran will exceed $54000+ per yr minimum income with an annual cost of living increase after turning 65. That will include all pensions and IRB. Those that already have benefits i just bet up to 64 yr 364 days they will have more than now. After 65 it will be 30% decrease. Still an reasonable income when you consider all medical cost,travel expenses and the massive list of additional entitlements (vip,home care,caregiver assistance,mobility aids home modifications scooters etc etc) are covered at 100%.
I only seek to get them to resolved the delays the rejection and admin BS. I really don't have any faith that this will ever happen. So far we have been bitching about delays for 15 years. The delays in processing time will never be resolved. I expect anytime we apply for anything it will be 3 to 4 times that suggested by the Service standard date estimates. I  focus on that and I am never disappointed when its delayed EVERYTIME!   IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum