Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E I A qualification

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

E I A qualification  Empty Re: E I A qualification

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2018, 11:46

Artie Simm

"how does VAC classify PTSD, do they consider it permanent and sever, or do they feel its " curable"?

Everyone's case is different. It all depends on your treatment program and how well you respond to those treatments. It depends on the diagnosis you receive from your health care provider. There is so many variables to list.

PTSD is also categorized by levels of affliction. Some people have are moderately affected, and some are severely affected.

I'm sure someone on CSAT could critique this topic better than me, so I hope we get other perspectives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2018, 11:39

sports1977 wrote:

Taxability: The Career Impact Allowance (CIA) is taxable because it compensates for lost employment potential and career progression opportunities. The Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation (APSC), on the other hand, will be non-taxable because it compensates for the extent to which permanent and severe impairments cause barriers to re-establishment.

Eligibility: The eligibility for the two programs is similar in many ways:

they are only payable to Veterans;
   the Veteran must have a disability benefit; and
   the Veteran must have a permanent and severe impairment.

The key eligibility difference between the two benefits is that under CIA, a Veteran must have an approved rehabilitation plan in order to receive the CIA. Under APSC, a Veteran must only have a barrier to re-establishment to qualify, they do not have to have an approved rehabilitation plan.

Grade Levels: Both benefits have three grade levels. The key difference on which grade is paid is that the CIA considers medical impairment as well as earnings capacity. APSC will only consider medical impairment. The APSC has no equivalent to the CIA Supplement.

The "withold" is your income taxes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2018, 10:54

sports1977 wrote:

Taxability: The Career Impact Allowance (CIA) is taxable because it compensates for lost employment potential and career progression opportunities. The Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation (APSC), on the other hand, will be non-taxable because it compensates for the extent to which permanent and severe impairments cause barriers to re-establishment.

The key eligibility difference between the two benefits is that under CIA, a Veteran must have an approved rehabilitation plan in order to receive the CIA. Under APSC, a Veteran must only have a barrier to re-establishment to qualify, they do not have to have an approved rehabilitation plan.

Grade Levels: Both benefits have three grade levels. The key difference on which grade is paid is that the CIA considers medical impairment as well as earnings capacity. APSC will only consider medical impairment. The APSC has no equivalent to the CIA Supplement.
how does VAC classify PTSD, do they consider it permanent and sever, or do they feel its " curable "?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2018, 10:49

Bruce72 wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
Teager wrote:CIA is not deducted from ELB now and niether is the supplement. It also won't be deducted in April.
l beg to differ, l know of a vet who gets lowest level CIA and he says it is deducted from his ELB,as he is not permitted to make more that 90% of cpl pay.

CIA is not deducted from ELB as it would defeat the purpose of CIA being a benefit to help offset the loss of career progression and limited employment opportunities.

I receive CIA and it is not deducted from my ELB.

ok

Last edited by Artie Simm on Mon 10 Sep 2018, 14:26; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by sports1977 Fri 31 Aug 2018, 09:10

sports1977
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by sports1977 Fri 31 Aug 2018, 09:09

As of April 1, 2019, the Department will automatically move Veterans in receipt of CIA over to the APSC—they will move over at the same Grade Level (1, 2 or 3) and will be paid the corresponding, non-taxable APSC monthly amount (not the CIA monthly amount).

Please note: The CIA is a taxable benefit, the new APSC benefit is not. Therefore, while at face value, the dollar values for Grades 1, 2 and 3 appear lower, Veterans will take home a comparable amount.

CIA grade levels (2018) are as follows (taxable):

Grade 1: $1,828.67/month
Grade 2: $1,219.13/month
Grade 3: $609.56/month

APSC grade levels in 2019 will be as follows (non-taxable):

Grade 1: $1,500.00/month
Grade 2: $1,000.00/month
Grade 3: $500.00/month

As of April 1, 2019, the Department will automatically move Veterans in receipt of Career Impact Allowance (CIA) over to the Additional Pain & Suffering Compensation (APSC)—they will move over at the same Grade Level (1, 2 or 3) and will be paid the corresponding, non-taxable APSC monthly amount (not the taxable CIA monthly amount). No re-assessment of the Veteran's extent of impairment is required.

No Veteran in receipt of the CIA Supplement will receive less than the amount(s) of Earnings Loss Benefit, Retirement Income Security Benefit, and Career Impact Allowance Supplement they were eligible for prior to the implementation of the Income Replacement Benefit. These amounts will be protected on coming into force and will be indexed.

sports1977
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2018, 05:05

Artie Simm wrote:
bigrex wrote:The CIA is far more beneficial, for now, because it opens up access to the supplement. But as of next year, when the APSC eliminates the supplement, it will pay $500, $1000, or $1500 tax free.. So with COLA added to the current EIA benefits of $492, $739, $985, $1231, and $1478, also tax free, so the two programs will practically be the same, at the upper and lower limits.
well I'm hoping whomever has CIA and the supplement, before apr 1 2019 gets to keep it?

Yes, anyone receiving CIA and the supplement will be grandfathered in and will be continue to receive those benefits for life.

Here are the answers to all your question:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/pension-for-life#questionsAndAnswers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2018, 05:02

Artie Simm wrote:
Teager wrote:CIA is not deducted from ELB now and niether is the supplement. It also won't be deducted in April.
l beg to differ, l know of a vet who gets lowest level CIA and he says it is deducted from his ELB,as he is not permitted to make more that 90% of cpl pay.

CIA is not deducted from ELB as it would defeat the purpose of CIA being a benefit to help offset the loss of career progression and limited employment opportunities.

I receive CIA and it is not deducted from my ELB.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2018, 00:00

Teager wrote:CIA is not deducted from ELB now and neither is the supplement. It also won't be deducted in April.
l

Last edited by Artie Simm on Mon 10 Sep 2018, 14:24; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Thu 30 Aug 2018, 21:04

CIA is not deducted from ELB now and niether is the supplement. It also won't be deducted in April.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Aug 2018, 18:33

bigrex wrote:According to VAC staff, no Veteran should get fewer benefits going into their bank accounts after Apr 2019, because of these changes. However the actual amounts will change a little, because of the CIA switching to a tax free benefit. The difference will depend on your province, other sources of taxable income, etc. So it's possible to have received more from CIA, after taxes, than the  new rounded down tax free amount.
so if CIA becomes tax free, does that mean that it will no longer be deducted from ELB as well?

Back to top Go down

Post by sports1977 Thu 30 Aug 2018, 17:29

Should help you at the end of the year CIA Not being Taxable.....

sports1977
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 30 Aug 2018, 17:10

According to VAC staff, no Veteran should get fewer benefits going into their bank accounts after Apr 2019, because of these changes. However the actual amounts will change a little, because of the CIA switching to a tax free benefit. The difference will depend on your province, other sources of taxable income, etc. So it's possible to have received more from CIA, after taxes, than the new rounded down tax free amount.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Aug 2018, 15:20

bigrex wrote:The CIA is far more beneficial, for now, because it opens up access to the supplement. But as of next year, when the APSC eliminates the supplement, it will pay $500, $1000, or $1500 tax free.. So with COLA added to the current EIA benefits of $492, $739, $985, $1231, and $1478, also tax free, so the two programs will practically be the same, at the upper and lower limits.
well I'm hoping whomever has CIA and the supplement, before apr 1 2019 gets to keep it?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 30 Aug 2018, 14:20

The CIA is far more beneficial, for now, because it opens up access to the supplement. But as of next year, when the APSC eliminates the supplement, it will pay $500, $1000, or $1500 tax free.. So with COLA added to the current EIA benefits of $492, $739, $985, $1231, and $1478, also tax free, so the two programs will practically be the same, at the upper and lower limits.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next