Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ELB wait time

+2
czerv
bigrex
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ELB wait time Empty Re: ELB wait time

Post by By the Bay Thu 02 Aug 2018, 23:36

Artie Simm wrote:
bigrex wrote:Unfortunately ELB wait times, are backlogged, just like everything else at VAC. They hired a bunch of front line workers and CM's, but the actual decision makers is dwindling, and it's causing a bottle neck, that is only going to get worse, because I can see those few adjudicators getting burned out
I'll post this question to you as you seem to know a lot. Suppose a vet started an ELB claim jan 1, three months goes by ,out of frustration he phones VAC and says close my rehab and cm l assume that would kill the ELB claim too? My real question is, if in may the vet came to his senses and phoned VAC,got a new CM and said hed like to apply for rehab/elb....would VAC begin the ELB claim process as day 1 may 1 or pick up where they left off back in Jan 1 in terms of finishing the work required to come to a decision. ?

Hi Artie,

Did you receive a letter in the mail confirming that VAC cancelled your Rehab and or ELB based upon your request?
I would call VAC to see if your ELB is still active for the Jan 1 application. VAC is notorious for mailing out cancellation letters. That's how they cover their butts. So if you did not receive a letter, they may have ignored your request. I know these long waits are unbearably stressful but cancelling your Rehab is only going to hurt you! These are benefits that YOU are entitled to so don't allow the VAC's waiting game break your focus!

Take care of yourself...

By the Bay

By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2018, 17:17

bigrex wrote:Unfortunately ELB wait times, are backlogged, just like everything else at VAC. They hired a bunch of front line workers and CM's, but the actual decision makers is dwindling, and it's causing a bottle neck, that is only going to get worse, because I can see those few adjudicators getting burned out
I'll post this question to you as you seem to know a lot....

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 18 Aug 2018, 00:25; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Thu 02 Aug 2018, 08:35

Artie Simm,

Is your LTD taxed or is it tax free? I believe that this is the issue. Being tax free simply means that you paid 100% of the premiums. This makes a big difference when applying offsets. Your military pension isn't used as an offset either. I believe that this comes down to what exactly does your GWL policy state. Every policy is different just like car or house insurance. You pay for what you get. Check your policy.

AIrLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2018, 22:49

AirLog wrote:Artie Simm,

I am with Great-West Life in Edmonton. Here is an email that I received from them.

"HI Steve,
Vetern’s affairs is not an offset.
Thanks,
Jamie S"

AirLog
hmm ...

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 18 Aug 2018, 00:24; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Wed 01 Aug 2018, 22:25

Artie Simm,

Please keep in mind that my LTD is 100% paid by employees and not a dime by the employer. As a result it is tax free and VAC will not use it as an offset to ELB. Only because it is 100% paid by the employee. I believe that this is why neither VAC nor GWL will offset either benefit.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Wed 01 Aug 2018, 22:22

Artie Simm,

I am with Great-West Life in Edmonton. Here is an email that I received from them.

"HI Steve,
Vetern’s affairs is not an offset.
Thanks,
Jamie S"

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2018, 21:42

AirLog wrote:Thanks for the clarification BigRex. I waited a couple of months. Would have been quicker but I requested a hold on my ELB as I wasn't sure how it would have effected my LTD (private insurance tax free). In the end ELB had not effect on my LTD as LTD is tax free and ELB had no effect on LTD as insurance company has a policy not to apply any offsets on funds received from VAC. Bonus both ways for me. So the two month delay was self induced. If I didn't have LTD I suspect that my ELB would have been approved in approximately one month.

AirLog
do you mind me asking you who your ltd was with

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 18 Aug 2018, 00:23; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Wed 01 Aug 2018, 20:02

Thanks for the clarification BigRex. I waited a couple of months. Would have been quicker but I requested a hold on my ELB as I wasn't sure how it would have effected my LTD (private insurance tax free). In the end ELB had not effect on my LTD as LTD is tax free and ELB had no effect on LTD as insurance company has a policy not to apply any offsets on funds received from VAC. Bonus both ways for me. So the two month delay was self induced. If I didn't have LTD I suspect that my ELB would have been approved in approximately one month.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2018, 17:59

AirLog wrote:Hi by sports1977 & Artie Simm,

When I applied for and was approved ELB, my ELB benefit was based on my pre-release military pay (90%) and reduced by my military pension. If you aren't working why would you need to provide pay stubs from a former civilian employer?

AIrLog
so between applying and getting approval you waited how long?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 01 Aug 2018, 16:16

They are talking about retroactive ELB, because it's taking several months to get approved, So the last thing you need is for VAC to fail to deduct any past employment earnings, because they will only claw that money back, from future payments. when you may really need that money.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Wed 01 Aug 2018, 15:38

Hi by sports1977 & Artie Simm,

When I applied for and was approved ELB, my ELB benefit was based on my pre-release military pay (90%) and reduced by my military pension. If you aren't working why would you need to provide pay stubs from a former civilian employer?

AIrLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sports1977 Wed 01 Aug 2018, 13:21

I would try and get them from your old employment....

sports1977
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2018, 12:24

so l would have to provide pay stubs going back 4-5 months,what if I'm no longer in that job?

[/quote]

Back to top Go down

Post by sports_1977 Tue 31 Jul 2018, 12:57

Hello,

If you get approved ELB, they will ask for you statements since you Applied for ELB, meaning paystub.

They will calculate the retroactive and your first payment will have everything togeter.

My first ELB deposit was over 8000$, then normal ELB.

sports_1977
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2018-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul 2018, 12:28

so if you applied Jan 1 and get approved apr 1 is there back pay involved or you just start getting a regular portion say apr 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next