Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DEC Calculation Question with new IRB

3 posters

Go down

DEC Calculation Question with new IRB  Empty Re: DEC Calculation Question with new IRB

Post by derngt Tue 02 Jul 2019, 22:58

I am not sure what DEC has to do with your question. I think all service time is used in the calculations. In my case I 3b with 14 years 10 months back in 2005. As a Sgt back then I made less then 50k a year. My new IRB amount was calculated using $6418.00/months. Then they gave me 90% of that minus offsets. It is my understanding they calculated the the career progression from 14 years 10 month to the 20 year mark. Clear as mud.

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

DEC Calculation Question with new IRB  Empty Re: DEC Calculation Question with new IRB

Post by By the Bay Tue 02 Jul 2019, 22:48

Hi Sport1977,

Yep...VAC will only recognized 'time served' during active military service however you can challenge it. I was given a medical leave during the last 10 months of my service. VAC did not include those 10 months in their calculations. I appealed the 'time served' calulations because I still had to report in weekly at the CFB Kingston Hospital.
In the end, VAC did considered my medical leave as Active Supervised Medical Leave due to the fact that I was ORDERED to report in at the Base Hospital  every Monday and Thursday at 14:15 for a Wellness Check.

So it is possible to appeal the time off calulations due to your pensioned medical issues.

Cheers,
By the Bay

Last edited by By the Bay on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 22:59; edited 1 time in total
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

DEC Calculation Question with new IRB  Empty DEC Calculation Question with new IRB

Post by sports1977 Tue 02 Jul 2019, 11:00

Question regarding the DEC.

From what i can read are they saying the time between service wont be counted. Meaning if you were in the Reserved and Stopped for a year then join the Regular force that time would not be counted.

So would that mean the time you stopped service due to your pensioned medical issue tell now would be counted. Just not making any sense to me.

Example: Served from 1999-2004 , Due to medical reason that was pension last year causing a person on IRB to go DEC would they count this as 20 years now with the calculation.

The number of years of service will be calculated taking into account the following:
a.Total days served from date of enrolment to date of release or completion of service, for all service periods added together.
b.For non-continuous periods of service, breaks between periods of service will not be counted in the calculation.
c.A year is equal to 365.24 days, consecutive or not.
d.The number of years of service will be rounded down

75.Example:Veteran releases from the Regular Force on July 27, 2012 at age 55.
The Veteran has the following periods of service:Reserve Force Class B: January 5, 1981 –September 30, 1987 [2460 days]
Regular Force: October 1, 1999 –July 27, 2012 [4684 days]
2460 + 4684 = 7144 days served
7144/365.24 = 19.56 years of service; rounded down to 19 years of service

Monthly military salary is $5,000
$5,000 x 2% (indexation) = $100
$5,000 x 1% (career progression factor) = $50
$5,000 + $150 = $5,150

sports1977
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down