Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rehab plans for PTSD

2 posters

Go down

Rehab plans for PTSD Empty Re: Rehab plans for PTSD

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 11 Sep 2019, 08:22

johnny211 wrote:Unknown Soldier. - I have been DEC for several yrs now. I have a few physical injuries, but my ptsd, anxiety, has been my daily struggle. My first pscy who I seen for 5 yrs has a equine ranch, but also brought in other professionals.  So over that time period, thru her suggestion we did various forms of therapy, equine, meditation classes, yoga, emdr, massage, and talk. Some help me more then others. EMDR was hard, but helped me, I’m not much for horses as I didn’t grow up around them, I like the one on one chats about my daily struggles, dissociation, flashes.
   I personally would not turn down her suggestions. But she was ok when I said that I was getting more out of one type, and wanted to stop the other. My pscy directed my plan, not vac. And yrs in now, I see a different pscy mthly, do massage every 2 wks, am part of an awesome OSSIS and Vet cofffe gp, And take cbd/thc oil.
   Not sure I answered yr ?, but that’s how my therapy goes. Johnny Out, VVV...
“my pscy directed my plan not vac”, they may be true in some cases, but funny you should mention the 5 year mark, because the comment from vac regarding sessions, was that “ no progress after 5 years is below the standard we expect and we want you to drop your current mental help and seek someone new in the community or at the Osic.”, lve never done anything but talk therapy , but l do know other veterans who are in these various other programs, and them knowing me best even tell me that they don’t think I’m a good “ fit” for these other methods just based on the nature of my personality/level of injury.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Wed 11 Sep 2019, 05:18

Unknown Soldier. - I have been DEC for several yrs now. I have a few physical injuries, but my ptsd, anxiety, has been my daily struggle. My first pscy who I seen for 5 yrs has a equine ranch, but also brought in other professionals. So over that time period, thru her suggestion we did various forms of therapy, equine, meditation classes, yoga, emdr, massage, and talk. Some help me more then others. EMDR was hard, but helped me, I’m not much for horses as I didn’t grow up around them, I like the one on one chats about my daily struggles, dissociation, flashes.
I personally would not turn down her suggestions. But she was ok when I said that I was getting more out of one type, and wanted to stop the other. My pscy directed my plan, not vac. And yrs in now, I see a different pscy mthly, do massage every 2 wks, am part of an awesome OSSIS and Vet cofffe gp, And take cbd/thc oil.
Not sure I answered yr ?, but that’s how my therapy goes. Johnny Out, VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Rehab plans for PTSD Empty Rehab plans for PTSD

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 10 Sep 2019, 22:20

99% of the time l don’t know what I’m talking about, but if a question pops into my head I just like to post it. This one is about rehabilitation plans for post traumatic stress disorders. I don’t know all the names for the various therapies but l understand that in addition to “ talk” and “ group” therapy which is basically telling your psychiatrist/psychologist what has happened to you and or sharing it with others who have suffered similarly. There are other things out there that I don’t know much about like tapping, eye movements, breathing a certain way, etc. If a veteran has been in talk therapy without results and VAC suggests moving on to these other practices, what if a veteran can’t “ buy in” so to speak. I mean not every veteran enjoys sharing in group even if the group were made up totally of soldiers, but if a veteran is sent to some of these other sessions ( even though they have worked for others and are recognized by VAC as legitimate) if they can’t relax/ let go enough to get anything out of it , or worse yet just get up and walk out of something they feel is just too bizarre, is that grounds for VAC to turn around and cancel their IRB because they are not “ actively taking part in rehab” .?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down