Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Covid-19

4 posters

Go down

Covid-19 Empty Re: Covid-19

Post by MikeCeeGB Wed 27 May 2020, 09:04

I am a vet, declared DEC, receiving SISIP, IRB, and my pension. It would absolutely be fraud for someone in my situation to apply for CERB. Bar none. If you are working part time and meet the criteria, you should absolutely apply because you have lost income through no fault of your own.

MikeCeeGB
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 21 May 2020, 16:42

Howie you are self employed, have to work part time to make ends meet and to me your the person who NEEDS to apply.

A veteran working a job is entitled to these covid benefits and IMO should go to the front of the application line (we have ALL spent some time in 'application purgatory').

I meant that vets, like me, who are financially ok, and don't have a job should not apply.

I do understand vets wanting to apply for some of these benefits, I'll admit I gave it a thought or two because Trudeau is throwing money around like the way he talks...moistly...mainly to buy votes in the next election.

But I didn't because I have what Trudeau does not...INTEGRITY

But if you are a vet in application-purgatory then I say hell yeah apply BUT be cautious because Howie pointed out the one headache in having to do your taxes. Also we are veterans and we know how much he loves us and says he is obligated to help us. That said you know damn well veterans will be the first ones to be thoroughly audited after this pandemic because he will garnish our VAC benefits to get the money back and make an example out of us with the rest of the Canadian public.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 May 2020, 16:21

Interesting take on that Teentitan. I actually read that page as well before i applied. The thing that stuck out to me was the following:

For the purposes of determining both the $5,000 income amount required for eligibility and the $1,000 of income that can be earned in respect of a four-week period, these will include among others: tips earned while working and declared as income; honoraria (e.g. nominal amounts paid to emergency service volunteers); and royalties (e.g. paid to artists). However, pensions, student loans, and bursaries should not be included in determining these amounts. Non-eligible dividends count towards the minimum $5,000 in income required for eligibility and will also count towards the $1,000 income threshold for a four-week benefit period.

I guess that and the fact i am self employed working part time and had 8k last year from working part time that i do not have right now due to the covid stuff made me think i was eligible. I guess i can cancel the request before the funds land in my bank account. I don't want monies im not entitled to for sure. It just makes it more of a pain come tax time anyways.
Let me know what you think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 21 May 2020, 16:00

Pretty well all the covid financial benefits are taxable income.  I read the CERB rules on a BDO website and the first rule for this benefit is: ( https://www.bdo.ca/en-ca/insights/tax/tax-alerts/canada-emergency-response-benefit-cerb/ )

"Lost your job"

So vets that don't have a job to begin with IMO are committing fraud by applying for this benefit.  

Covid did not interefere with any VAC, SISIP, CF Pension, CPP D monthly deposits so why apply?  These benefits are for workers who have lost their jobs due to covid, quarantine, social distancing.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Zodiac Thu 21 May 2020, 10:38

Having read all I can find on this topic, I see no reason why not to apply.  Other than the fact that it could be construed as fraud.  Could others chime in on this please.

Zodiac
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2019-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 May 2020, 14:40

I just actually applied but that was based on the fact I work part time self employed doing up health and safety programs from home. Due to the covid stuff going on, my hours dropped to almost nothing. It's necessary for me to do that to supplement my income (roughly 8k last year before taxes so not that much). I initially thought I would not be eligible as i get the IRB as well so didn't bother applying until yesterday. After checking a few places and seeing the same page you brought up, i decided to apply so we will see if it actually goes through or if i am deemed ineligible later.

Back to top Go down

Covid-19 Empty Covid-19

Post by daverobitaille@rogers.com Wed 20 May 2020, 10:39

I found information that kind of looks like we can apply for the emergency Covid benefits and NOT be penalized in our Income replacement benefits.
Did anyone do it?
Here is what I found.
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/help/faq/info-veterans-covid-19#ieb-qa

If I receive the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, will it impact my Income Replacement Benefit payment? Will it count toward the $20,000 work income?
No. If you receive the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, it will not affect your VAC Income Replacement Benefit payment. It also won’t count against the $20,000 you can earn before offsetting your Income Replacement Benefit payment.

Just curious if anyone did apply while receiving the income replacement benefit. Personally, all of us on this benefit did NOT loose income.

daverobitaille@rogers.com
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2018-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum